BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Allan G
Allan G
West Yorkshire
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Coils
#798280 02/14/20 7:49 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi I have put a sidecar on my 1968 Lightning and want to change to a single carb head. I want to keep the lightning side covers but am struggling to fit coils. Any suggestions? How about the Trispark 12v duel output coil for instance?

signiture
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Coils
gollywog #798283 02/14/20 8:40 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi, how are your coils fitted now? In 67 they had the one coil in its side and one upright behind the panel. By 68 they changed to having a different side panel cross bracket and the coils were mounted off the top engine mount rear bolt. From 68 through 70 the parts book shows both types. Although the early type shown as for lightning was no longer used. The type shown as for thunderbolt was used right through (from 68) on all variants.

I’ve pinched this photo from an older thread but it should give you the idea

[Linked Image from i266.photobucket.com]

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

gollywog #798284 02/14/20 9:01 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks Allan. That's interesting about one being on it's side. Mine were fitted close side by side as per usual 68 twin carb spec. Anyhow, I just ordered the tri spark twin lead coil which should take up less space and does away with the bothersome HT lead coil clip and plastic cover that always seam to come loose at awkward times. Thought there would be more space with one carb, but with the air filter stuck on the back it's fairly tight. Will have to move my Pazon points box too. I do prefer the look of the Lightning side covers even with one carb.

Last edited by gollywog; 02/14/20 9:04 am. Reason: wanted to change it

signiture
gollywog #798286 02/14/20 9:25 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It is possible and a few people do it.

The Boyer dual output is a good coil and rated at 4.2 ohms. The tri-spark one I had fitted for many years was 3 ohm. Worked great but the other year I was getting the occasional misfire. Long story short the insulator on mine was like silicone and had split allowing tracking I think. It worked fine when I put the Boyer back on, but for a Permanent solution I fitted a dyna coil. Been happy since.

It’s mounted in the same position as photod (sadly I can’t find a link to when I did mine)

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

gollywog #798332 02/14/20 11:56 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The Andrews dual coils for hardley's are very good if a bit large. (well, they are made for hardley's)
Emgo also make a 12v dual output coil that is perfectly satisfactory with pazons boyers etc.
Get one with around a 4-5 ohm primary. 3 ohm ones will get a little hot unless you ride the bike
up at higher revs.

Only my opinion.

gollywog #798364 02/15/20 5:51 am
Britbike forum member
Online Sleepy
Britbike forum member
Gollywog didn't say he has electronic ignition. Can a single, dual-lead coil work with dual breaker point ignition?

Yes in '68 they went to the two coils being vertical. I think they went to the smaller coils as well. (The '67 coils are larger in diameter.)

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
gollywog #798369 02/15/20 8:11 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
With some fiddling about, you can get a dual coil to work with 2 sets of points.
I've seen it done here on a couple of bikes, think you have to modify the points plate.

BUT, as he was saying he was looking at dual coils i assumed he has EI.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership