BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson, bikerboy
11023 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
DavidP 70
Rohan 64
koan58 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,151,318 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,987
Posts691,370
Members11,023
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
75 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 2,195 guests, and 978 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TDC locating tool thickness #798076 02/11/20 2:26 am
R
reverb Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
Hello; I have this homemade one that borrowed but I am not sure if it has the right thickness or if the tip has the "correct" rounding because is not working so exactly; I think.
I would try to make other may be one of you have the factory tool and can take the measurement?

Still is better than with a screwdriver.

---the explanation is:
I cannot put the bike in the central stand (alone, due to this damaged body) hence no matter how light I am going with the kick and my hand; I am not obtaining the right 38º.

Thanks

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: TDC locating tool thickness [Re: reverb] #798095 02/11/20 10:11 am
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by reverb
may be one of you have the factory tool and can take the measurement?

= 6.3mm.
Same tapered end as this:
https://www.feked.com/triumph-t.d.c...thread-unit-twins-from-1969-onwards.html

Re: TDC locating tool thickness [Re: reverb] #798117 02/11/20 6:12 pm
R
reverb Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
...Hello L.A.B;
I see the error is in the tip of this one that is too rounded.
Thank you for your support.

Re: TDC locating tool thickness [Re: reverb] #798125 02/11/20 7:48 pm
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
That's exactly like my timing tool, 6.3mm diameter. The angle at the end is about 42 degrees.

BTW: about the only way I can get my OIF bikes on the center stand is to back the rear wheel onto a 2" board to gain some height advantage before deploying the stand.
Even then it's difficult to rotate the wheel while putting pressure on the timing plunger.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: TDC locating tool thickness [Re: reverb] #798133 02/11/20 9:49 pm
R
reverb Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
...alright.
I tried with a piece of wood under but could not until a customer appeared and did that small % of the levering and just that.
What I do is to let the 38º mark almost there then if I pass it I move back with the wheel. Turning it with the foot at the same time that I checking visually and with the tool.

Re: TDC locating tool thickness [Re: reverb] #798156 02/12/20 6:07 am
T
TR7RVMan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Hi Reverb, The TDC/38deg tool is .250" (1/4") or 6.35mm. Mine has 1/8" long 60deg point that's slightly flattened at end. I drops into the flywheel about 1/4" or so.

I don't really think the shape of point really matters so long as the taper is not much longer than 1/8". The Feked tool should work good with that point shape.

I always use aluminum or copper sealing washer under threaded holder & tighten holder snug in hole. The flywheel can still be moved ever so slightly, but I'd say less than 1/4 deg due to play in hole of holder. The 1/4" shaft of tool is a slip fit into flywheel. Very little play in slot. Like the edge of 1/4" section bottoms into curved sides if slot. I've checked this with crank out.

There is not a hole, but a slot that goes crossways in flywheel. Slot is round so edges of tool will center in slot.

Reverb, You could make a tool by drilling a suitable sized bolt with threads to fit hole in motor. Drill it 1/4" down the center. Get some 1/4" rod or cut threads off a long 1/4" bolt. To make point grind or file a small taper. Does not have to be long like mine or Feked one. But try to keep it even.

I understand Imperial bolts are hard to come by. If you had a spare plug for timing hole, drill that. On a lathe is best, but with an assistant helping you keep drill straight, you could just hold bolt in vise & drill it. Metric drill bit here is 6 or 6.5mm. So metric will be hard to use. 6mm will give a lot of play, but worth a try.

Really you need to buy the real special tool. I've used mine dozens of times.

I hate to say it, but what might be better is if you could find TR6R or better would be TR7RV. Install low compression pistons. New Premier carb. Stock cams. Stock air filter. Stock mufflers. Stock type oil pump. They just work good. With 20t front sprocket will cruise nicely at 70mph. You don't even need to remove tank to adjust valves.

Reverb, is it hard to get inch size nuts & bolts in your area? Are there shops that work on old American cars or tractors in your area? Is it hard to get inch size steel rod or steel bar metal?
Don.

1973 Tiger 750
Re: TDC locating tool thickness [Re: reverb] #798167 02/12/20 1:06 pm
R
reverb Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
Hi TR7RVMan, yes, I have this home made tool done that way; seems that Feked tool have a better tip.

There are UNF and UNC nuts and bolts but not UNF in SS. No any BSF, CEI, 2BA etc (as in most parts of the World)
Is difficult to locate steel rods in inches but I think that still there are.

There is no any Trophy 650 or Tiger 750 in this country. Also I am not interested in one.
These bikes have the late bread bin tanks where the top of the engine is very close not like the tanks that you have there.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership