BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Jon W. Whitley
Jon W. Whitley
Vermont
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Bill Walker, Phil McClusky, 1957 Road Rocket, Payne, Mysticbus
11018 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 135
koan58 67
DavidP 63
Rohan 50
Popular Topics(Views)
1,149,202 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,949
Posts691,018
Members11,018
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
71 registered members (998John), 2,292 guests, and 949 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Random Photos #796554 01/25/20 3:43 pm
C
Cyborg Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C
Seems kind of slow here, so thought this section could use a photo or two.

Washing off 70 yrs of dust.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]D801438C-56CC-4FB3-AFE0-B4DE5D499CDD by First Last, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]8E518B1E-C36F-42AA-8D36-78184AE3B3E2 by First Last, on Flickr

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Random Photos [Re: Cyborg] #796584 01/25/20 7:38 pm
Psychopasta Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Is your wife away?

Re: Random Photos [Re: Cyborg] #796648 01/26/20 2:11 pm
C
Cyborg Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C
No, but it probably would have been less expensive if she had been away. Some of the grime on the cases didn’t want to come off, so I used a light coat of paint stripper, washed them off with a hose, pressure washed them and then into the dishwasher. Along with the heat and steam coming out of the dishwasher there was a bit of a stink. I suggested going for a walk, but she went shopping instead.
I did buy my own $10 stove for the garage, maybe time to consider a dishwasher.

This may sound odd, but in the past I have used the dishwasher to change the appearance of the surface finish. For example... a pair of cylinder heads that had been blasted with something a little too aggressive and the bright finish made them look out of place. The dishwashing soap reacts with the aluminum and give it a more natural patina.

Re: Random Photos [Re: Cyborg] #796649 01/26/20 2:25 pm
C
Cyborg Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C

Re: Random Photos [Re: Cyborg] #796660 01/26/20 6:06 pm
B
Bigtwin Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Hi!
Thanks for the reminder about the caustic affects of some dishwasher soaps... More than a few of us are victimized by over-agressive previous owner techniques. No complaints about dishwasher use since my divorce. That was the least of our issues! Regarding the photo from yesteryear (I hope!): Gasp! Surely, someone has rescued the engine & brought it back to something akin to standard... Way too many classic bikes fell victim to the 70s.

REgards

Bigtwin

Re: Random Photos [Re: Bigtwin] #796665 01/26/20 6:55 pm
T
Twin Pot Phil Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
[quote=Bigtwin]
Regarding the photo from yesteryear (I hope!): Gasp! Surely, someone has rescued the engine & brought it back to something akin to standard... Way too many classic bikes fell victim to the 70s.

No no no no, Please keep it in the style it was - waaaay too many boring lookey samey standard machines, once you have seen an over shiny standard vin you've seen them all.
Now, a chop - that's different (when done properly), at least you would easily spot your bike at a vin rally!!.

Re: Random Photos [Re: Cyborg] #796737 01/27/20 3:01 pm
C
Cyborg Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C
Can’t say I would want to preserve that thing... might be ok for a carnival side show. The engine could be used to power something a little more civilized. That steering head is hanging a little too far out in the breeze for my liking and the rear drive chain is obviously an afterthought. Cobbled the swingarm on and then realized he needed a path for the chain. Not sure what to make of the front prop stand.
I’m assuming the photo is from South America and no idea what happened to it.

Re: Random Photos [Re: Twin Pot Phil] #796742 01/27/20 4:47 pm
B
Bigtwin Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Hi!
Point taken and agreed! Note that I used the word "akin" not restored... A genuine well done period piece has merit in that it reflects the spirit of the time as it was back then. Good/Bad/or otherwise... We all have preferences/persuasions reflected in our bikes. Hats off to anyone "restoring " such a machine back to standard! I would say the same to someone preserving the spirit of the machine while fixing the many engineering blunders evident in the photo... In the area where I "matured", there were very few Vincents and the majority of them were indeed modified some way or another for an abundance of reasons. Thanks for the Photos!

REgards!

Bigtwin

Re: Random Photos [Re: Cyborg] #796782 01/27/20 10:40 pm
C
Cyborg Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C
I agree with keeping period pieces and not restoring them in some cases. I have a well worn 30’s Inter that will get put back into running condition and left more or less as it is. No desire to restore it, partly because I like it the way it is and I’m not sure it has 2 pieces of the same bike, so it would take a lifetime to find the correct bits. As for doing strange things with a Vincent engine, I too am guilty. Assembled with crap from the shed and the dumpster at the local bike wreckers. If it ever starts to look photogenic, I’ll post a photo. The engine was carefully rebuilt with no modifications, so when I cash in my chips, the engine can be pulled out and the rest can go back in the dumpster.

Re: Random Photos [Re: Cyborg] #796838 01/28/20 5:14 pm
C
Cyborg Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C
I would preserve this. Bit of a bugger to ride around the neighbourhood, but worth it to get even with the Harley straight pipe guy next door who takes 20 minutes to park his bike while it is running the whole time.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]ABA54C6E-695F-4790-9643-BF634AE7BBFB by First Last, on Flickr

Re: Random Photos [Re: Cyborg] #797697 02/06/20 5:12 pm
C
Cyborg Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C
Necessity is the mother of ??

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]6BE49934-66F2-43F0-89FB-C4494C68591B by First Last, on Flickr

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership