BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Jeff23
Jeff23
Connecticut
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Bill Walker, Phil McClusky, 1957 Road Rocket, Payne, Mysticbus
11018 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 135
koan58 66
DavidP 63
Rohan 50
Popular Topics(Views)
1,149,213 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,949
Posts691,020
Members11,018
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (998John), 2,272 guests, and 946 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? #797316 02/02/20 6:24 pm
D
Danam Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
It’s ridiculous how much they want for these little things? Occasionally I will see one for As low as $4 but with $12 shipping. I so wish I had a lathe I would crank these out by the bucket load!!
Rant over, thank you.

Last edited by Danam; 02/02/20 6:25 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797318 02/02/20 6:36 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
If you are ordering from Britain, the charges are indeed outrageous. Years ago it wasn't that way.

I suspect Her Majesty's Royal Mail is now using the mails as a "revenue enhancer" instead of as a "service."

If from the USA, eBay is probably setting the rates, again as a "revenue enhancer," but for eBay.

Some of the sellers in the USA will send the parts outside of the eBay system at considerably less cost.

Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797332 02/02/20 7:58 pm
Ignoramus Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
So you recon you would crank these out by the bucket load eh
Perhaps then you would get some idea of what a multi operation these would be to make .........1 turn diameter 2 form pointed end 3 form large radius on head 4 mill flats (or forge them under a press , another machine and tooling) 5 mill slot 6 polish 7 chrome and Send to supplier at probably around $2 allowing them a 100% mark up ..............even if you were making these by the 1000 on an auto lathe or cnc they would be a tricky little job, to make a buck out of. .........i recon $4 is cheep .........sure with a cnc or auto you could spit them out pretty quick onceyou had set the machine .......you would need to be making quite a few per hour to hit a cnc charge out rate.

I spent my working life in the production turning industry so i can see the value in such a small thing.

The post is another matter so i relate to that .

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Ignoramus] #797339 02/02/20 8:39 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Ignoramus
So you recon you would crank these out by the bucket load eh
Perhaps then you would get some idea of what a multi operation these would be to make .........1 turn diameter 2 form pointed end 3 form large radius on head 4 mill flats (or forge them under a press , another machine and tooling) 5 mill slot 6 polish 7 chrome and Send to supplier at probably around $2 allowing them a 100% mark up ..............even if you were making these by the 1000 on an auto lathe or cnc they would be a tricky little job, to make a buck out of. .........i recon $4 is cheep .........sure with a cnc or auto you could spit them out pretty quick onceyou had set the machine .......you would need to be making quite a few per hour to hit a cnc charge out rate.

I spent my working life in the production turning industry so i can see the value in such a small thing.

The post is another matter so i relate to that .

This is a good description of the process and the costs involved.

But you've got me thinking "Why is it, then, that I can buy Schrader valve cores, that are turned, machined, have an internal spring, bearing surfaces, and a sealing surface for about $.04 apiece .... ?"

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797341 02/02/20 8:43 pm
A
Andy Higham Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
A
I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797343 02/02/20 8:56 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Have you tried Kyle @ CBS a vendor here? has the BSA style logo above the MAP logo

Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Lannis] #797345 02/02/20 9:00 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by Lannis

But you've got me thinking "Why is it, then, that I can buy Schrader valve cores, that are turned, machined, have an internal spring, bearing surfaces, and a sealing surface for about $.04 apiece .... ?"

Lannis

because every tire in the world uses a schraeder valve, (presta excepted, i know. . . ) so you can do production runs of billions and sell them all.

what sorts of idiots need oddies any more?

having said that i had to buy three or four last year, but that's still not billions.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797350 02/02/20 9:21 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
Fir Andy H. in Lancs.

"Oddies" refers to the dzus fasteners used to hold the fiberglass (later steel) side covers onto BSA A50 and A65 bikes, 1962-1970.

Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797351 02/02/20 9:29 pm
Ignoramus Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Lannis commented :
"...But you've got me thinking "Why is it, then, that I can buy Schrader valve cores, that are turned, machined, have an internal spring, bearing surfaces, and a sealing surface for about $.04 apiece .... ?"

I doubt they are turned , they are probably a one hit forging (never studied one so not sure) .....they would no doubt be made on an ongoing basis by a "dedicated" production line which does nothing else ........no doubt a fully automated set up . You know on going contract to supply X thousand per week/month for perpetuity (where X is a very large number) ..........but yeah i hear you on 4 cents seems mindbogglingly .......but who can understand how it is possible to make anything to the prices they do in Asia .....i sure cant.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797353 02/02/20 9:36 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
It seems a lot of vendors make extra income with the postage or else mailing requires a lot of overhead. I bought a couple of off-the-shelf gears for an oil pump, weights less than one pound shipped from the US and the shipping was $32 plus an $8 processing fee. A small Priority mail box is free, ships up to four pounds and costs $8.30.
I think most any 60's British bike used Oddies to mount the side covers.
How many Schrader valves are in the world compared to British bikes? Economy of scale. Probably made in China too.

My take on what it takes to make them:
Put rod in the lathe, turn the shank, leave material on the head for the next operation
Put blank in rotary on the mill and cut the two angled flats
Put the blank back in the lathe and cut the head
Put blank back in the mil to saw cut the slot.
If you want the slot indexed to the flats a special jig is needed.

Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Irish Swede] #797358 02/02/20 10:05 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
If you are ordering from Britain, the charges are indeed outrageous. Years ago it wasn't that way.

I suspect Her Majesty's Royal Mail is now using the mails as a "revenue enhancer" instead of as a "service."

If from the USA, eBay is probably setting the rates, again as a "revenue enhancer," but for eBay.

Some of the sellers in the USA will send the parts outside of the EBAY system at considerably less cost.

Sadly its the same ordering into the UK from the USA too, if the seller doesn't use the eBay global shipping program it gets quite expensive, where this way it skips UK customs.... Sadly if its a 2 bob bit, then you'll still pay £17 on a £7 item plus postage cost of £12 for example... at £7 it would fall under the value threshold anyway.

You win some... You loose some....

beerchug
Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797375 02/03/20 12:25 am
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
A couple of drawbacks to eBay global, you have to sell through eBay and use Paypal. So extra cost of buying through eBay rather than direct and the import duty is based upon the eBay selling price. Not that anyone would declare the value as less for the customer.

Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797390 02/03/20 5:57 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Actually they are not all that expensive to make in volume.
The basic shape is an upset forging, much the same as bolt.
Dirt cheap
then it is capstain lathe to polish the head, reverse the fastener then machine the shank ( actually better to machine the crank first ) followed by an electro polish & chrome plate.
However to get the price down you need to make them in the millions and the world comsumption would be in the hundreds.
So for a start there is a lot of dead capital.
Add to that the storeage costs and in particular the cost of corrosion prevention over the next 100 years till the last one was sold,

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797414 02/03/20 1:25 pm
M
MarcB Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
M
I've never had one that was chromed.

Re: Why are ‘oddies ’ so pricey? [Re: Danam] #797416 02/03/20 1:35 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I bought some stainless steel ones some years ago, never seen them again. I also bought some zinc plated ones from RS Components even more years ago and they can be polished to look like chrome.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership