BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Allan G
Allan G
West Yorkshire
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Thruxton Restoration
#618179 09/19/15 4:15 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi everybody! Haven't been on this forum for a long time, since back when I was working on a couple of BSA's. Glad to see it's still here. The bike I have is VMT 573, a '67 model. I bought it approx. 15 yrs. ago and have had it in storage awaiting retirement (finally here). The bike is fairly complete and I have a full history on it. Bought from the second owner. I'm just getting started with it, so in the paint stripping/derusting, polishing stage (yuk). As this is my first experience with a Velo I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. Looking forward to it.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Thruxton Restoration
Joel Greene #618409 09/21/15 10:54 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Joel, welcome back to the forum. You are lucky your project is mostly complete. Cleaning, polishing, refurbishing original parts generally turns out better than trying to fit new parts.
I look forward to your future posts tracking your progress.
Fullminator.

Joel Greene #619448 09/27/15 8:41 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
please post pix!!! We are very interested!!!

Brian
Joel Greene #795357 01/11/20 2:57 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Were your Thruxton engine cases partially polished ? I'm re-restoring a '66 Thruxton which has partially polished cases. Not sure if that is factory or if the previous owner did it.....

Thanks
Al
[email protected]

Joel Greene #795378 01/11/20 3:27 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Other than the years they used engine covers, Velo engine and trans cases and covers were polished. They used the covers to save the expense of polishing (at least that's the story I've been told). They never used covers on a Thruxton.

Laurence Luce
Joel Greene #796073 01/20/20 1:40 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Joel
I am trying to find an 86mm high comp piston for a Belgian Gillet that I am re-building. Can you help me out by letting me know the compression height of a Thruxton piston?
Thanks Tom.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership