BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Buster Conrod
Buster Conrod
uniontown, pa, usa
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Bud O, knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson
11024 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
DavidP 74
koan58 62
Rohan 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,155,423 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,995
Posts691,413
Members11,024
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (AML), 2,667 guests, and 979 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights #795984 01/19/20 4:00 am
Matthew in TO Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I’ve booked a trip to Britain this summer, including London, Birmingham, York, Leeds and Windsor. In London I want to visit the plaque denoting the AMC plant location (not far from my birthplace in Lewisham) and then to the plaque at the Meriden plant location and then a tour of the National Motorcycle Museum http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk/ and the British Motor Museum https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/

What other classic motorcycle points of interest should I see? Unfortunately Sammy Miller is too far south. I may look into the British Transport Museum, where I last visited with my grandfather in the 1980s (he was a retired London bus driver).

What about http://www.london-motorcycle-museum.org/ ?

Last edited by Matthew in TO; 01/19/20 5:30 am.

1982 Suzuki GS650G
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Matthew in TO] #795990 01/19/20 7:25 am
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
The Triumph factory in Hinkley has a very nice little museum as well.

If you're going to be in Birmingham, I assume you'll visit the site of the BSA factory.

Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Matthew in TO] #795991 01/19/20 7:27 am
S
Shoshone Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
It's 101 mile drive to Sammy Miller from London. Change your plans. Alternatively, the museum is expanding soon so plan another trip!

Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Matthew in TO] #796002 01/19/20 1:54 pm
P
photobob Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
If you are near York try The Craven Collection but check the opening dates on their website www.cravencollection.co.uk

Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Matthew in TO] #796014 01/19/20 5:06 pm
gunner Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Not sure if the London Motorcycle Museum is actually open anymore? Various websites (e.g. TripAdvisor) seem to suggest its permanently closed.

As an alternative maybe you could try Brooklands Museum which isn't that far from London, see This Link. Brooklands has a collection of around 50 bikes which isn't big but it also has vintage cars, planes, engines and a other items of interest, well worth a visit.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Matthew in TO] #796020 01/19/20 6:09 pm
A
AngloBike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
London motorcycle museum shut and sold off most of it's stuff.

Kempton park is about an hour from Hampton court, if you're with SWMBO
https://www.kemptonautojumble.co.uk/about/

Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Shoshone] #796021 01/19/20 6:15 pm
Matthew in TO Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Shoshone
It's 101 mile drive to Sammy Miller from London. Change your plans. Alternatively, the museum is expanding soon so plan another trip!
I’m already dragging my wife and two teenaged daughters through many, what they may call “man cave” museums, so I’d best not press my luck by taking them in the wrong direction.

Sammy Miller and the nearby Bovington tank museum will be on a future trip. I wish I’d know about both when I used to visit my Grandmother on the Isle of Wight in the 1990s.

1982 Suzuki GS650G
Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Matthew in TO] #796032 01/19/20 8:09 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
If you go to the so-called "National" Motorcycle Museum please check, and advise me, if they have doubled their fire protection "system" by having TWO 5-gallon buckets of water by the door now.

Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Irish Swede] #796052 01/20/20 2:15 am
Matthew in TO Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
If you go to the so-called "National" Motorcycle Museum please check, and advise me, if they have doubled their fire protection "system" by having TWO 5-gallon buckets of water by the door now.
That 2003 fire does seem to rankle many. I’m more sympathetic, at least until I see it in August. Here in Ontario, Canada ten years before the British Motorcycle Museum burned, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum burned down in 1993, with the loss of a Hawker Hurricane and many rare aircraft. After the outrage the museum’s volunteers set to work rebuilding what is now Canada’s premier privately owned aircraft museum. Hopefully the British Motorcycle Museum has learned and improved from their fire experience.

Last edited by Matthew in TO; 01/20/20 2:26 am.

1982 Suzuki GS650G
Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Matthew in TO] #796064 01/20/20 8:22 am
M
Mick M Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
No trip to the UK would be complete around that time of the year, without a short ferry ride from Liverpool to The Isle of Man with the Manx GP starting on 22nd August this year. And the associated Museums and sights. Definitely a must see in my opinion.

Re: National Motorcycle Museum and other UK sights [Re: Matthew in TO] #796085 01/20/20 4:58 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I visited the national Motorcycle Museum 4 years ago. Even after the fire it is still the most interesting and comprehensive collection of motorcycles I've ever seen. Probably the only place in the world you might find a Triumph Quadrent.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership