BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Peter Quick
Peter Quick
Jaffrey, NH, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Dick Klamfoth takes his last lap
#795565 01/14/20 12:30 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

Coming to terms with your delusions, is the first step to sanity
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Dick Klamfoth takes his last lap
BritTwit #795586 01/14/20 2:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
About twenty years ago I was at the AMA Mid-Ohio races and swap meet.

As I was walking up the hill a man walked up alongside of me to give me a hand-bill promoting the building
of a monument at Daytona Beach, honoring all riders who raced on the sand.

That man was Dick Klamfoth.

As we walked, we talked bikes, and racing history.
Just two guys who loved motorcycles, talking about motorcycles.

Ours is a unique sport.
It's one of the few where both a plain old rider like me, and a racing champion, Dick, can talk as equals because both love the sport.

Dick Klamfoth was one of the nicest guys I ever met.

Irish Swede #795590 01/14/20 4:10 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well put Swede. One of the BSA team members (Eugene Thiessen) once told me, he was very professional and quite a family man.

Coming to terms with your delusions, is the first step to sanity
BritTwit #795599 01/14/20 5:54 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
thank you for posting the informative link

'61 TR5A R w/ '69 T100R front end
BritTwit #795667 01/15/20 1:22 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In 2004 I was able to get to the 50th anniversary of the BSA victory at Daytona. The special event was a couple of parade laps around the course for BSA's ONLY! Dick was to lead us around on the GS he rode in 1954. As soon as we launched Dick disappeared at, what seemed to us, a very rapid pace. I'm sure that for him it was about 1/2. It did not take me or the others long to realize that there was to be no speed limit. I decided to open the throttle on my Goldie and ride as hard as I dared, thoughtful about not falling off in the corners. Otherwise it was WFO all the way. If she blew it would make for a great story! She is still running great 16 years later! Thanks for the great ride Dick!! RIP, PRT

BritTwit #809004 05/15/20 10:08 am
Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
Never met Dick Klamfoth but we spoke on the telephone several times.
Dick used to be friend with yellow plate #35f & white plate #57 Louis Kramer who raced a flattrack goldstar that we now own and its in our BritBike museum.
Dick helped out to make Louie's Goldie faster and Louis won lots of races but non when Dick was in the same race.

Rest in Peace.

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 05/15/20 10:20 am.

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support BritBike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British MotorCycle Forum on Facebook
BritTwit #810387 05/26/20 7:59 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I was very sad to find out only now that Dick had died - that's one more of the BSA Wrecking Crew gone to the track 'upstairs'.

Dick helped with information for the Daytona BSA Shooting Star and Gold Star we built and took to Daytona in 2004, then took to the Isle of Man and treated like road bikes (can you imagine....?) in 2008.

I spoke to Dick a few times on the phone before 2004 then met him at the event. Apart from the fun of getting to meet someone in the flesh I had gotten to know through letters and calls up till that point, I desperately wanted to find out the circumstances that resulted in Dick riding a swing arm Shooting Star in 1954 when everyone else rode the rigid framed bikes that BSA had put a considerable effort and money into making that resulted in the clean sweep of the first 5 places in 1954. I'll be straight with you - Dick couldn't quite remember. He thought maybe BSA had sent it that way because he was used to riding bikes with rear suspension since his previous bike had been a plunger camshaft Norton - but he wasn't sure. I asked the other riders too and Kenny Eggers and Gene Thiessen both seemed to think that the bike was assembled after an accident with the original bike - but they weren't sure. Although I have a photo from 54 that shows a rigid frame on Gene's trailer (was it the original or a spare?) neither that, nor the BSA despatch records or any other information found since have let me conclusively decide why or how Dick got a Swing Arm Frame.

Now if Dick couldn't quite remember that detail (he didn't do all his own 'mechanicking' - he just got on and rode them) then in all other respects his memory was pin sharp. In the paddock I had another question about a race he was at for which I had a photo and thought I had worked out the year but Dick swiftly corrected me with a narrative, backed by dates, details previous and following races and results that put me in my place - and I was happy to he 'put' there!

Myles Raymond, Glasgow, Scotland.

1934 BSA R35-4 DeLuxe, 1949 ZB32 Clubman Gold Star, 1955 BSA A7ss, 1961 DBD34 Clubman Gold Star and others.
"A tidy workshop is a shop where no work is ever done" - my Dad.
1 member likes this: Morgan aka Admin
BritTwit #810486 05/27/20 3:06 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dick and some of the BSA wrecking crew at Daytona in 2004 plus one from the Circuit in '61.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Myles Raymond, Glasgow, Scotland.

1934 BSA R35-4 DeLuxe, 1949 ZB32 Clubman Gold Star, 1955 BSA A7ss, 1961 DBD34 Clubman Gold Star and others.
"A tidy workshop is a shop where no work is ever done" - my Dad.
1 member likes this: Morgan aka Admin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership