BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Jay Gilling
Jay Gilling
Rabbit Creek, Alaska, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Some hard found info.. for old guys
#795446 01/12/20 4:06 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
This isn't new info, but some here might waste time figuring it out themselves,............. so here's a short version. When you get to the point where pulling the clutch / brake levers is difficult, one part of that issue is this: the pivot to cable distance, mechanical advantage. ( or in this case, DIS-advantage ??) The shorter pivot distance is easier to pull, but of course cable travel is less. Came across some photos I had to document the issue......

Attached Files IMG_1922_800x600.JPGIMG_1917_800x600.JPGIMG_1920_800x600.JPG

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH, Hernia Gift, on the way to Japan!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Some hard found info.. for old guys
KC in S.B. #795454 01/12/20 5:10 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's my opinion that the design of the lever has more influence than the fulcrum distance...The Brembo type semi dog leg levers on my T140 have a smoother easier pull in than any stock Brit lever even though the distance is 1-1/8 ". Traditional sucks sometimes...LOL

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati 81 Ducati Pantah 500 ..On a bike you can out run the demons..
KC in S.B. #795469 01/12/20 6:51 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The lever pivot distance is a critical part of the design, but with a crappy cable, it's all for nothing. Stout, non-flexing cables properly routed helps a lot. Other factors need attention, like the actual clutch. I've put a stuffer plate in my old 'Bird and it's a feather light clutch which doesn't stick overnight like it used to. It appears to me that if the spring adjusters are too tight, that is a major contributing factor to clutch sticking. And, yes, by now(I turn 70 this year) a lot of us have less strength than we used to and may have arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome, perhaps other maladies.
Light controls means I can ride into the sunset.
I've modified two levers so far for a shorter pivot distance. Alloy levers are easiest. Plug the hole with a brass or aluminum plug and re-drill the hole.
Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
HawaiianTiger #795503 01/13/20 6:57 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger

I've modified two levers so far for a shorter pivot distance. Alloy levers are easiest. Plug the hole with a brass or aluminum plug and re-drill the hole.

Not so easy if one wishes to increase the pivot distance to get more clutch lift.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
KC in S.B. #795512 01/13/20 11:26 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Agree with Tony on this one. The race bike has kibblewhite springs cranked down and it is stiff with a capital S.
Dogleg levers make a huge difference for these worn out hands.

Mike Baker #795516 01/13/20 1:14 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member

Is this compared to new/good levers or old ones?

you find that the fulcrum hole wears oval, the other problem is that with the new position of the lever, the lever then rubs against the body of the "clamp". Also a lot of people use a set screw instead of a bolt/screw with shank which speeds up the wear and adds to the binding. On some I have made a small bush for the centre (for either clamp or lever depending on which is the inner most part) and this restores the smooth action.

I agree that dogleg levers often give the feel of better/smoother/lighter pull but I think this is often due to the optomised grip position.

Most aftermarket levers are over an inch fulcrum distance, the standard A65 ones for example are 7/8. even a new lever with the longer distance is heavier IME than a reasonable standard original.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Allan G #795519 01/13/20 1:24 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan Gill

Is this compared to new/good levers or old ones?

you find that the fulcrum hole wears oval, the other problem is that with the new position of the lever, the lever then rubs against the body of the "clamp". Also a lot of people use a set screw instead of a bolt/screw with shank which speeds up the wear and adds to the binding. On some I have made a small bush for the centre (for either clamp or lever depending on which is the inner most part) and this restores the smooth action.

I agree that dogleg levers often give the feel of better/smoother/lighter pull but I think this is often due to the optomised grip position.

Most aftermarket levers are over an inch fulcrum distance, the standard A65 ones for example are 7/8. even a new lever with the longer distance is heavier IME than a reasonable standard original.

Better than old style levers even if they are new....Yes,it's all about optomised grip which trumps the small increase fulcrum distance....My opinion; bike riding is about control and comfort and not about original style if it's not as good...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati 81 Ducati Pantah 500 ..On a bike you can out run the demons..
KC in S.B. #795523 01/13/20 2:14 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have often thought that a hardened steel bush in the fulcrum hole of the clamp may be the solution .
The pivot screw might wear out, but those are easier to find and cheaper to replace than the clamp itself.

Irish Swede #795527 01/13/20 3:51 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
I have often thought that a hardened steel bush in the fulcrum hole of the clamp may be the solution .
The pivot screw might wear out, but those are easier to find and cheaper to replace than the clamp itself.

I've used bronze as its easy to machine and I have some, but steel with a decent carbon content (If such exists - I wouldn't know as im not a metalurgist) would be good. The couple I have done have been a vast improvement. Although Mike and Tony's racebike probably have their clutch screwed down much more than you would on a road bike, making this even more noticable.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership