BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Morgan aka Admin
Morgan aka Admin
Sävedalen, Sweden
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B44 on E-bay
#795239 01/09/20 3:59 pm
Mr Mike Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

I have put my B44 on e-bay. I posted it last year on this site and got no action so we'll see what e-bay brings. Just trying to simplify my life a bit. Still going to keep one BSA. I don't post much on the site anymore, but I have always enjoyed the info and discussions the site provides. I think every problem with a BSA has had been resolved at least a dozen times over the years. I have been a member of this site for many years and I am sure it now has a lot of newcomers in addition to the old timers. My e-bay posting description is below:

"BSA . Condition is Used. This bike was originally a 1968 441 Shooting Star (see two pics)with matching engine and frame. I have owned it since the seventies.The original SS gas tank failed due to ethanol gas so I used some Victor parts (aluminum tank, side cover, an early solo seat and oil tank to give it a new look). Paint is rattle can. I rebuilt the top end including valves, piston, rings, and a rebore. I also went through the entire transmission and clutch. The head is ported for a 32 mm AMAL carb. Mileage on rebuild is less than 500 miles. This is a very strong 441,starts easily, and is ready to ride. It has a 70 twin leadfing shoe front wheel. Also with this bike are the original seat, oil and gas tank and side cover, muffler, pipes, front wheel. The gearbox sprocket is 18 T for road work. Also included are all my 441 parts including engines cases and covers, assembled crank, cylinder, head, rockers, a 69 VS frame and other bits and pieces. You'll be hard pressed to find a 441 that runs as well as this one plus many parts for your next project. I am guessing at mileage because E-bay made me put a number in. This will be a cash sale (or cleared check)on pickup to the winning bidder."

Thanks to the many that I have communicated with in this site,

Mr Mike

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: B44 on E-bay
Mr Mike #795240 01/09/20 4:10 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Mr Mike, sorry to hear you are selling the B44, I've enjoyed reading and contributing to your posts over the years on this site and others, hopefully you will keep us updated with work on your current BSA. Hope you sell the B44 for a good price smile

Last edited by gunner; 01/09/20 4:17 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Mr Mike #795243 01/09/20 5:40 pm
Mr Mike Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hey Gunner,
I am not completely out of this old bike business. I am keeping the B50. I finished it some years ago and it still runs like a scalded cat and believe it or not it is still a one or two kick starter. Keep the newbies straight and the forum alive. I browse the site from time to time but don't post much anymore. Your stable is a nice representation of British bike heritage.
Mr Mike

Mr Mike #795260 01/09/20 9:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sorry you've chosen to sell this Mike. IMHO this is a true enthusiasts machine and has become an exotic rare bird at vintage displays. I have a 67 B44 Victor roadster, a 68 Lightning and a 70 Lightning. Both lightnings have the needle roller conversion and are much better than the ones I ran in the 1970's. Excellent bikes. Even so, I can't recall ever being out on My B44 wishing I'd taken a Lightning instead. I've only ever seen 3 B44's out and about in "Roadster or Shooting Star" trim. All 3 have been my own (never seen anyone else out on one). I will allow that they are rattlers and starting cold on a chilly morning can be interesting, but I live in Australia on the top of a hill and gravity is natures free starter motor ( provided valve lifter is released before clutch.) I hope you have better luck selling yours than I had with my UK one a couple of years ago. People seem to pay as much for B25 Starfires nowadays which says a lot about how little is known about these fantastic machines. (is there a link to the advert?)

signiture
gollywog #795307 01/10/20 2:30 pm
Mr Mike Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Golly,
We'll see what happens. You are right. I had a B25 back in the sixties and a B44 does everything a B25 does with a lot less effort. I have had two B44's and still have a B50. I sold my Lightning some years ago. The B44 is a light nimble bike that can run on all but superhighways. I love it on the winding country roads. It is what motorcycles were meant to be...... simple, adequate power, low revving, easy handling and easy to maintain. Mine starts easy in the winter too.
Cheers,
Mr Mike

Mr Mike #795317 01/10/20 4:58 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I still wish I had bought this the first time you listed it, but i,m trying to sell some bikes too, with not much luck. But I do still have a good 66 lightning you may be familiar with.

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando
couple of beesas a ducati
and a Honda?
Mr Mike #795331 01/10/20 7:34 pm
Mr Mike Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hey there Richard,
Good to hear from you. Just trying to simplify my life a bit. Age is creeping up on me and the fun of rebuilding these things is waning. I rebuilt the last three bikes I had. You have the LIGHTNING....the B44 is next I still take a spin now and then but not so often. Sailboats kind of got to the front of the line and I have more boats than bikes now. Not sure whether that's a good sign. I assume you are still a mainstay at TSMR. I met Lannis for dinner last summer when he was down here at the coast on vacation.

Cheers,
Mr Mike

Mr Mike #795340 01/10/20 10:42 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The B44, in particular the VS in my mind, is just a nice little reliable machine for tooling around on. It does not have the power of the B50 but it has enough umph to be fun. The basic engine and gearbox have few faults and other than what I would consider a weak clutch the machine can take a lot of abuse and keep going.

A while back my son Rick and I decided to, for fun, ride in the Victoria BC hillclimb. We only had one B44 runner at that time but in a week I had put together a second engine and chassis in time to trailer the pair to Victoria. We flashed up the 'new' bike ran it up and down a pals driveway a bit to see if it would run then the next day entered the event with the only Brit machines. The bikes ran great, I destroyed one mint rear fender, we placed 2nd and 3rd in class (got our 'bowling' trophies) and had a ton of fun. The B44 is just that kind of bike.

Gordo

click to enlarge

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Mr Mike #795346 01/11/20 12:56 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My '69 B44 Victor had enough power and torque to claw its way up a dirt hill with the best of 'em.
It was not fun to ride long distances, but for short hops and fun in the dirt it did OK.

Irish Swede #795349 01/11/20 1:23 am
Mr Mike Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Gordo.
A six plate clutch using the Surflex plates resolves the clutch problems. I think the process is posted over on the b50 site by Rickard.
Mr Mike

Mr Mike #795366 01/11/20 7:42 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My B44 clutch problem was due to the woodruff key standing a little too tall and distorting the outside taper when torqued up. After regrinding the taper stuck fine with a gentle tap and then promptly failed under load. Took a long time to figure that one out. Touch wood it has not let me down since.

signiture
Mr Mike #795525 01/13/20 3:03 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I saw the bike on eBay and recognized it from the forum.
I'm building up a 1966 B44 Enduro and a 1967 B44 Roadster. The Roadster is much like yours with steel body panels and a Wassell tank. Good luck with the sale...although I don't need another bike, I was salivating over the extra parts that go with the bike.
Tom

Mr Mike #795661 01/15/20 5:50 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hello Mike, it was nice to see a post from you after such a long drought.
I generally made sure to read your input regardless of the BSA topic being discussed & especially appreciated the straight forward, sensible and "everyman" style your posts always seemed to convey.
Of particular interest was your A65 bottom end buildup and oil filter installation procedures....still have a print-out of those ! I fully understand where you're coming from regarding these old bikes, they are so much fun
to ride, but the impetus to wrench into the wee hours is not as strong as it once was. Still, hang on to the B50. I really believe that while riding these things WON'T keep you young,
they WILL keep you "young at heart !"

I did some sailing myself long ago & enjoyed it quite a lot. It takes real skill to get from here to there when you are totally reliant on wind power.

Fair winds & calm seas (well not too calm !) smile
& thanks for all the great posts over the years.

Phil

Phil R #796229 01/21/20 9:54 pm
Mr Mike Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Phil,
The 68 B44 and all the parts went to a very pleasant British gent. He plans to take it back to England when his employment time in the US is over. Glad it went to someone who understands these old bikes and likes them for what they are. I may bring him to TSMR in the spring. I am keeping the B50 for those less frequent rides in the country or down along the coastal towns and villages. I have had a BSA since the sixties and like the singles most of all.. Rode a B25 daily for two years in college. It became a hobby around 2000 after I retired and this site as well as the B50 site has so much to offer. I bought the bikes cheap and rebuilt them into good runners and it was a lot of fun. I am down to only the B50 but the sailboat population has grown to three. Coastal NC is great for sailing as we have decent wind almost daily. I have learned every creek, channel, slew and waterway that I can go and how to get back with no auxiliary power other than a paddle.

Anyway I commend the founders of this site for their years of dedication to us enthusiasts. I learned so much about the bikes, their idiosyncracies, shortcomings and strengths.

My best to you and all the old timers and newbies that visit this great site.

Mr Mike

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership