BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
tridentt150v
tridentt150v
Great Southern Land
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: piled arms logo - belt or powder horn?
stanoneandonly #794518 01/01/20 1:02 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by stanoneandonly
Having spent seven years in the infantry in the sixties, British, I can say I never once stacked or piled arms.

From a U.S. Infantryman, my experience is the same. Sure, we learned it in basic training but never does an Infantryman stack arms in the field...in our modern world of course !

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Mark Z #794561 01/01/20 4:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think it would be difficult to stack three M4 carbines. Can you mount a bayonet on the end of one? Plus, they are kind of short so you might stab yourself in the eye whilst bending over to pick them up in a hurry.
What has always struck me as odd about the BSA logo is the way the rifles are stacked. Sitting with the triggers inward the heel of the stock contacts the ground toward the inside of the circle. Because of the arch of the stock the centre of gravity is outside the contact line between the ground and the bayonets which is unstable. Then there is the intersection of the bayonets. If you cross two and lay a third in the V what keeps the inside bayonet from falling between the other two? There is nothing to hold it up unless there is a notch in the blade that keeps it in place.
All three rifles have to be picked up at the same time or they will fall into the mud of Passchendaele and be forever lost.

DMadigan #794563 01/01/20 4:40 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DMadigan
I think it would be difficult to stack three M4 carbines. Can you mount a bayonet on the end of one? Plus, they are kind of short so you might stab yourself in the eye whilst bending over to pick them up in a hurry.
What has always struck me as odd about the BSA logo is the way the rifles are stacked. Sitting with the triggers inward the heel of the stock contacts the ground toward the inside of the circle. Because of the arch of the stock the centre of gravity is outside the contact line between the ground and the bayonets which is unstable. Then there is the intersection of the bayonets. If you cross two and lay a third in the V what keeps the inside bayonet from falling between the other two? There is nothing to hold it up unless there is a notch in the blade that keeps it in place.
All three rifles have to be picked up at the same time or they will fall into the mud of Passchendaele and be forever lost.

Artistic license, maybe?

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership