BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Mark Parker
Mark Parker
Bega NSW Australia
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What did you make today?
#793884 12/26/19 4:58 am
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Is there a thread on this site to post a blurb about a motorcycle part or tool that you made? If not, there is now.

Here is the alpha version of my latest creation. Still need to add the battery pack and switch,

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]2BCD15E4-5FB2-42F8-9E98-340755E52645 by First Last, on Flickr

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: What did you make today?
Cyborg #793893 12/26/19 10:20 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
And what does it do?

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Cyborg #793897 12/26/19 11:58 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Smoke injector, for returning the smoke back into Lucas wiring.

Al Eckstadt
Cyborg #793902 12/26/19 2:30 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I made rumaki - roll up a chicken liver and a water chestnut in a strip of bacon and broil until the bacon is crispy, then top with a little bit of maple syrup.

Or is that not what we're talking about?

Lannis

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it."
Allan G #793908 12/26/19 3:50 pm
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Allan Gill
And what does it do?

Hopefully it will turn out to be an electric TIG filler rod feeder and not a weapon. I seem to have difficulty feeding filler rod on long welds, so going to give this a try.

Al Eckstadt #793909 12/26/19 4:11 pm
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Al Eckstadt
Smoke injector, for returning the smoke back into Lucas wiring.

Good guess and I suppose if it fails it could be repurposed into one of those. Not sure if the Chinese smoke would be compatible though.

Cyborg #793946 12/26/19 11:03 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Cyborg
And what does it do?

Hopefully it will turn out to be an electric TIG filler rod feeder and not a weapon. I seem to have difficulty feeding filler rod on long welds, so going to give this a try.

That’s actually really cool! I mig weld and I have done a bit of gas welding. Always fancied Tig but need a few more pennies for the equipment.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Allan G #793964 12/27/19 12:43 am
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
And what does it do?

That’s actually really cool! I mig weld and I have done a bit of gas welding. Always fancied Tig but need a few more pennies for the equipment.

Thanks
I bought a TIG welder about 2 years ago and decided I’d jump in at the deep end by learning to weld aluminum first. My left hand is in the same condition as the rest of my body, so feeding the filler remains a bit of an obstacle. Although to be honest, if I could force myself to practice ( just sitting in front of the tube) I might get it to a reasonable level. I’ve done stick, MIG and oxy acetylene and mistakenly thought the gas welding experience would give me a leg up. Apparently not so. I tried a TIG pen, but that didn’t really help, so figured a motor drive was worth a shot. There was a fellow on YouTube that made one, so I bought the same motor. His was a little cumbersome for my liking ,but it seemed to work ok. Without some assistance feeding the filler, the rod ends up bashing the tungsten and I’m welding in fits and starts. This is the oil tank for the current pile of parts. It’s an interesting form of welding because there seems to be a multitude of things that turn the bead into something that looks like a dog turd.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]A9069C5A-E63A-4F61-9EA5-4ABFD699EA2D by First Last, on Flickr

Last edited by Cyborg; 12/27/19 12:46 am.
Cyborg #793969 12/27/19 1:35 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Cyborg, you have a good start on it. The welds look good , for a beginner

Keep practicing. Skill comes with practice and experience.

Cyborg #793976 12/27/19 2:22 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Doesn't look bad. Better than I ever welded already. Now without access to any electric welder I am using only gas welding and brazing. On Project 39-1/2, I tack things where I want them with gas and a friend , who is very skilled, does the finish welding. Although I did weld a few bits all the way with gas.

Al Eckstadt
Cyborg #793981 12/27/19 2:54 am
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
To me, the gas is similar in that it takes practice and lots of it. With the TIG I have fleeting moments of glory, but it’s short lived because it seems so easy to get out of position or you manage to screw up the arc length or torch angle.. stick the tungsten and then off to the grinder. With aluminum, everything has to be surgically clean and all the oxide removed. Seems I just get into the groove and the filler feeding thing gets in my way. The oil tank was good practice, there was over 6 ft of beads. Thicker stuff seems a little easier.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]24B1DCD3-46A6-4F73-8A86-F66652B03BB8 by First Last, on Flickr

Cyborg #794154 12/29/19 3:30 am
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Yesterday's project was raising the belly pan up under the engine. Needed clearance for crankcase bolts, so made a new male bit for the dimple die. Still needs some finishing and black powder coat.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]9D934EFB-1810-4E21-BFDA-5850DF0C9D51 by First Last, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]99B3F252-9A7C-4B0C-B3C6-DF0DCEAF349B by First Last, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]27BD5223-61CD-4E6D-A48B-9F3160D7C6A7 by First Last, on Flickr

Cyborg #794164 12/29/19 5:28 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I made a mount for the new toolbox on the tongue of my trailer. Not really rocket science, but I got a place to stash my tie-down straps.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Cyborg #794240 12/29/19 10:10 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I made & installed swingarm pivot points to mount an alloy swingarm on my B50.

Chris

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Chris Johnson; 12/29/19 10:11 pm.
Cyborg #794340 12/30/19 4:49 pm
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A fun project. Thanks for sharing. What swingarm did you use and did you have to narrow it?

I replaced the swingarm pivots in my current lump and it turned out to be fairly labour intensive. The frame down tubes were being replaced at the same time, so it meant stuffing the whole mess into a frame jig. In my case it was kind of a dumb idea. There were self imposed rules that I had to use whatever was already in my possession (3 shed special). Failing that, it had to come from a dumpster or be made in-house. There were minor exceptions for a primary drive ignition and gauges. In hindsight it would have been easier to build a frame from scratch.

BTW. Spiffy looking clutch you have there.

Cyborg #794356 12/30/19 6:13 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It’s a RM125 swing arm. The first try had the pivots aligned to the forward-most setting of the stock adjustment slot but it was too high and too far from the mainshaft sprocket; this is the second and final version. The Suzuki part is a good 1-1/2” or more narrower at the frame end than the stocker so no need to narrow. I have DR350 cartridge forks up front and need to get at least close to the travel & length of those.

The engine is a big bore, hi-comp with hot cam and carillo rod. The clutch has an alloy chainwheel, alloy plates and that fancy alloy pressure plate. I should know better since my B44 has already destroyed one set of alloy friction plates...

Chris

Cyborg #794431 12/31/19 5:08 am
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Lousy photo, but... Swingarm is BMW 650 narrowed a bit, shock rocker is from a 750 Ducati Monster, shock is Yamaha. Rocker fork is home made. Swingarm shaft goes through the engine plates as the engine trans assembly is a stressed member. The gearbox in the photo is Commando and the clutch hiding under the cover is Bob Newby’s, so assuming it’s ok to post this photo here in spite of all the sins. The wheel is CBX550 with the enclosed disc brakes, so another sin, but they are kind of cool , so perhaps I can be forgiven for that one.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]ADEB230A-5A80-4EA9-B189-0B1ED89BFF34 by First Last, on Flickr

Cyborg #794451 12/31/19 12:26 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As long as we're talking about motorcycle rear suspensions, here's the one I made for my formerly rigid rear Partially Streamlined Bonneville B50 when the salt started getting rough. There is a pin thru the swingarm that pulls up a link attached to a pivot that activates the shock at twice the rate of the swingarm movement. This results in only about 2" of travel (necessary to clear the rear fender but maintain the low profile) with sufficient stiffness.

It's still part British!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 12/31/19 12:45 pm.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Cyborg #794627 01/02/20 5:13 pm
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
That sprocket looks like a Diablo saw blade. Are you are the lucky fellow who has his own dyno? I would love to have one of those.... One of my favourite photos. Looks more like a recording studio than a dyno room. I don’t know anything about it, but looks like an in floor auto setup modified to use with M/C?

BTW, who do you use for photo Hosting?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]8D145CF7-5C5E-450B-AB2A-DAD96FB5A0F4 by First Last, on Flickr

Cyborg #794643 01/02/20 8:28 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Related to ongoing threads in two other forums, today I made a propane-powered solder pot. I have an electric solder pot for cable nipples but, in my effort to have my trailer as off-the-grid as possible, I realized I could make use of the propane torch I'll have in the trailer anyway to have an electricity-free way of repairing broken cables.

I bored a 1½" hole in a piece of 1¾" Al rod, to which I welded an Al arm that I cut from a larger piece of scrap. As can be seen from the first photograph I made the arm long enough to hold the pot in the vise at the correct height for the propane torch when it is sitting on the trailer's workbench, making the heating a hands-free operation. It only took about a minute for the torch to heat the solder to the melting point, and I filled the pot to a depth of ~¾". Special tools don't always have to be complicated in order for them to be useful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cyborg #794652 01/02/20 10:18 pm
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I like the arm/hands free feature. I’ll copy that thank you. Do you have a Cerrobend pot?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]7B8DC5E6-291B-4F9D-A83C-A1DD77E865F1 by First Last, on Flickr

Cyborg #794663 01/03/20 1:05 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Do you have a Cerrobend pot?
No I don't, so you score a clean win on that one.

Early in my career my research worked with phenomena at low temperatures ("low," as in 0.3-10 K, not C), at which time I learned to use Woods Metal (Cerrobend), gallium, indium, and other low melting point materials for making seals that were leak tight in the presence of superfluid He. Delicate electronics were inside the seal so materials like Woods Metal were needed to avoid damage when attaching the outer can. Sometimes there were several chambers that needed to be sealed separately so solders that melted a different temperatures, plus a good design and deft hand, were needed to accomplish the task.

However, whenever we needed to bend thin wall tubing we filled the tubes with water that we froze with liquid nitrogen. We used water instead of an alloy like Woods Metal to avoid contamination. Anyway, I've not yet needed/wanted to form sheet metal shapes, which is why I don't have a Cerrobend pot like yours. Still, you win this round of the Tool Wars fair and square.

Cyborg #794666 01/03/20 1:21 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I use Photoimages.org for posting. You have to upload your image to their site, then "share", then click on "hot link for forums" which copies the URL which you then paste into the forum. Probably just a matter of time before they start charging us, like another well known site.

And yes, I have a motorcycle dyno built from an older MC dyno that was for sale because it had obsolete software. I updated the software to Performance Trends, added a starter and a brake, and it makes a lot of noise (the bike does). Then I had to build a dyno cell to keep the wife happy. Still loud.

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Magnetoman #794671 01/03/20 2:11 am
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
“
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
Do you have a Cerrobend pot?
No I don't, so you score a clean win on that one.

You are being very charitable. Doesn’t feel like much of a win, but I’ll take it.

I’ve used cerrobend to bend tubing, but not all that thrilled with the results. Maybe I was expecting too much and should probably try ice sometime. May have been my method or lack thereof. Using the Pop Yoshimura method with oxy propane and a rosebud works, but not up to forming headers yet and don’t think I’ll live long enough to get there. May not live long at all, given the size of my shop and the length of that flame.

I bought the cerrobend to make bucks for future panel beating session, but used some to make a gear holder for OHC Norton. The bevel gear on the cam needs to be cranked on fairly tight. Some folk lock the engine up somewhere between the gear and the rear spokes, but figured holding the actual gear would be the most civilized way to go about it. A gear set in sand inside a soup can with a repurposed sprocket holder for a handle. I learned early on that if there is a place for that stuff to escape, it will. The holder isn’t quite finished yet, but passed the torture test removing a nut that was probably installed with an impact gun.

Looking forward to the day when I get to use it to hold that odd shaped object in the lathe or mill.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]D0CD78CA-74CB-4AA7-90ED-44F4E50CDC37 by First Last, on Flickr

I did bend this (intake manifold) wth Cerrobend. Took a bit of force. but worked out ok.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Manifold by First Last, on Flickr

Last edited by Cyborg; 01/03/20 8:35 pm.
koncretekid #794672 01/03/20 2:27 am
Cyborg Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by koncretekid
I use Photoimages.org for posting. You have to upload your image to their site, then "share", then click on "hot link for forums" which copies the URL which you then paste into the forum. Probably just a matter of time before they start charging us, like another well known site.

And yes, I have a motorcycle dyno built from an older MC dyno that was for sale because it had obsolete software. I updated the software to Performance Trends, added a starter and a brake, and it makes a lot of noise (the bike does). Then I had to build a dyno cell to keep the wife happy. Still loud.

Tom

Thanks I’ll check out Photoimages. Or maybe figure out Flickr in the meantime. If I post a photo from Flickr, then folks can see all the photos I’ve uploaded there ( not that it’s a big deal, but would prefer it just linked to the one photo). No doubt a way to change that, but it appears I’m digitally challenged.

I could get away with the noise. The bride is usually busy somewhere else chasing grandchildren and don’t really care if I piss off the guy next door who has straight pipes on his Harley.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership