BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
RGS Bob
RGS Bob
CA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pazon & Podtronics Locations
#793820 12/24/19 8:31 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I am to the point in my long TR6C restoration journey that it's time to affix my Pazon and Podtronics boxes. At first glance it doesn't appear to me to make much difference, but there must be some pitfalls to slapping them in willy nilly, wherever they'll fit. I know I will be faced with frame grounding issues. I have powder coated everything, so frame grounding will be by drilling and tapping.

Any recommendations or mistakes to avoid?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Pazon & Podtronics Locations
TrophyGuy #793822 12/24/19 8:46 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Do not use the frame as a ground.

http://gabma.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/proper_grounding.pdf
Put the boxes where they can not be seen yet still get some air flow. Mount the Podtronics to an aluminium plate (heat sink) then to the bike.

Here is the rest of the story.

https://gabma.us/tech-articles/

Last edited by desco; 12/24/19 9:00 pm.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
TrophyGuy #793826 12/24/19 9:19 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
That might be a little incomplete. What is vital is that the engine is grounded or your ignition won't work. My approach is that redundancy is best. Frame grounding is part of that. In general electronics and electrical work, ground busing is routinely used, and that's what your frame would be. It would be a mistake to, for example, rely on the steering head bearings to complete a ground circuit, or the attachment hardware of the rear fender to do that job.

When it comes to mixing of the charging system and ignition systems, problems have occurred when the two components you've mentioned were too close together, likely due to emf, or noise in the system picked up by one or the other components.

Usually, the ignition module is mounted under the tank, and the charging module is located under the seat. This has worked for me on many occasions. The exception is later bikes where it makes sense to mount the ignition module under the seat. In those cases, I've mounted the charging module under the battery.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
TrophyGuy #793845 12/25/19 1:54 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The Pazon fits very well under the top frame tube in front of coils. I use two zip ties to hold the unit on and have had no issues with my bikes. The 1967 still has the rectifier. On the 1965 I have the Tympanum mounted to the bottom of the battery. Out of sight, plenty of room, and it is only a short distance to the bolt holding the rear frame to the main frame, where I placed the ground wire.

TrophyGuy #793847 12/25/19 3:32 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hello; seems that you are only seeing an small range of bikes (years) and only one Pazon system.
In fact today I tried to find a place for the smartfire module in my 79 and there is no any. The only possibility is if you do not have the regulator under the battery. Not a so good place for the module and wiring...

There is no place for the generic coils (and I do not know why they do not make PVL cylindrical with the necessary Ohms to fit right) and the module and the podtronics if you have ALL stock in later models.
No place under the tank; no place under the seat (only for the surefire module)

In my opinion the winner product would be one that be near "plug and play" I mean; only cut the HT leads fit the caps and route (with the routing suggested depend on the model) the trigger wires; tune the trigger and just that.
But you finish with no place; with generic coils; with gobs of wires without routing; with plug caps that are 90º but many applications needs (like dual plug heads) other degrees; and plenty more stuff to think.

---Also: dismantling the surefire few hours ago, I noticed that the WHITE wire from the module was connected (by PO) to a WK (White/Pink) that comes from the LH side (wrapped with other two wires: the NU and a WY)
Should be connected to the Negative of the battery (!¿? 79 model)
And the Red from module was to one coil BUT was joined with another wire that was connected to the WY (!¿?) from that LH side.

wildbill #793850 12/25/19 5:07 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by wildbill
The Pazon fits very well under the top frame tube in front of coils. I use two zip ties to hold the unit on and have had no issues with my bikes. The 1967 still has the rectifier. On the 1965 I have the Tympanum mounted to the bottom of the battery. Out of sight, plenty of room, and it is only a short distance to the bolt holding the rear frame to the main frame, where I placed the ground wire.

that's an excellent spot for the module ... though a bit buried .
most folks seem to shy away from removing the gas tank if at all possible .
but it a fit and forget module .
if fitted here ... no splices need to be made to fit the unit .
the pazons lead wires are long enough to reach the points hole ... via front down tube
, a ground point at or next to the battery ... and the coils
are within inches .
original harness wires deliver key/kill power at the coils too .

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership