BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
trevinoz
trevinoz
newcastle australia
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Floyd Clymer Indian
#792948 12/14/19 10:54 pm
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi, I was recently asked to check out a couple of Enfield Interceptors for a widow of a deceased estate. One was a fifties Enfield Interceptor which was mostly complete but needed engine work. The other was a Floyd Clymer Interceptor in mostly complete order. I had no idea these existed. Has anyone got any idea of the value of the Clymer Enfield/Indian?

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Floyd Clymer Indian
Mito #792982 12/15/19 8:40 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I seriously doubt Interceptors existed in the 50's,try early 60's.Clymer interceptor,would need some close up photos,mostly complete
but is it rust free,engine running?seat cond etc etc.There will be a good response but more info needed for a expected value.Eng numbers?

Mito #793010 12/15/19 5:06 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mito, There is lots of help available. First step is to understand exactly what you have, and the serial numbers will get to the point. If you post the engine and frame numbers here, we can help. Or you can go straight to the well, the Royal Enfield Owners Club in England. Their chairman, Graham Scarth, will do a quick look-up at no cost. (Paper dating certificates from the club are for a fee.) [email protected] Or go to Royal Enfields.com and see the blurb in the right sidebar. Graham prefers to have photos of the engine and frame numbers to ensure there is no miscommunication. You can help him complete the records by supplying the gearbox number that is stamped on the front of the crankcase too. The actual number of the gearbox is on the top of the main case, near the joint with the covers on the right side of the bike. There are no security concerns posting the numbers. The full range is known and publicized; we just want to know where to fit these bikes in the sequence.

Engine number with all letter prefixes and any suffixes are on the left side of the crankcase, just below the cylinder. Enfield frame number stamped into the left side of the headstock, not the raised casting number on the right. Not sure about the Clymer/Italjet number location.

There are a couple of competent and knowledgeable enthusiasts in Taranaki who may know of other help closer to you.

Mito #793036 12/15/19 10:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This one sold on car and classic recently.
Price now removed, but you could ask ?

"One of only 15 ever made"
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1109828
Remember that bikes in lesser condition are worth less. (2 words note, don't run them together)

[Linked Image from uploads.carandclassic.co.uk]

Rohan #793081 12/16/19 4:08 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Point of information: Car and Classic are quoted as saying 15 made. I have seen 18 or more in sales or at meets. The best info currently available is 80+. Maybe 82? The total gets fuzzy with prototypes.

Rohan #793094 12/16/19 5:32 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hello, don’t know what this bike but suspect it was around £20k. The other end of the scale would be a basket case, let’s say 80% there but the correct numbers is probable about £8k upwards. And in between, would need to have a bit more information, picture etc, to give a view. Seeming a lot rarer than a Rickman although the numbers of each don’t necessarily reflect this. Richard

Mito #793368 12/19/19 10:00 am
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hey Everyone, thanks for the replies so far. From what I can gather, the Clymer Indian I looked at is genuine. 1970, eng # 1B 2415X. I would rate it as 95% complete could be more, just a couple of bits like the air cleaner stored in boxes. Tank, mudguard and mufflers in another shed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Mito; 12/19/19 10:02 am.

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
Mito #793391 12/19/19 4:54 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Mito,
Original question was market value of the Clymer. I am not a seller of bikes and cannot help with price; perhaps that goes for the others here too. I can say the market is thin and it may take a while to connect with buyers. There is an Interceptor specific forum [email protected] that reaches a bigger audience. Many here belong to it too.

My interest is turning to the other Enfield you mentioned. The side view of the Clymer has a RE rear mudguard and Lucas 679 tail light in the picture too. If that is the 2nd bike, it is a 750cc Interceptor. If engine is identical to the Clymer's it is Series II. If it differs some, particularly on the timing side, it is a Series 1-A. A full photo would enable us to confirm. Numbers even better because some details never were entered in the dispatch records as production came to an end.

Mito #793408 12/19/19 8:50 pm
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hey Chris, yes the other Enfield I suspect is around 1967 ish as it has the chrome tank. I have passed on all of the information to the widow and family and they will see what they want to do in the new year.

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
Mito #793469 12/20/19 11:41 am
Novice poster
Novice poster
Originally Posted by Mito
Hey Chris, yes the other Enfield I suspect is around 1967 ish as it has the chrome tank. I have passed on all of the information to the widow and family and they will see what they want to do in the new year.

Very nice bike, certainly more than 15 Enfield Clymers produced but they are certainly very rare to see, which makes pricing difficult. I have seen one as low as $1500 in recent times which sold within hours, and I believe the one shown above was initially advertised at £25,000, who knows if and what it sold for. I imagine something in the region of $12-15000 retail asking price would be about right for the type of condition machine you have there.

I have one of the prototypes over here in pieces, not as nice as the one in your photos and I am missing the petrol/gas tank, so if by any chance you happen to find an additional spare please remember my post as I have been searching for a number of years for one.

As also mentioned, engine and frame numbers for these machines are always great to complete or verify records held by the owners club.

Looking for Royal Enfield project bikes
Mito #793830 12/24/19 9:54 pm
Mito Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hey Dan, the Clymer Enfield which was sold at auction above went for US$44k according to the auction site. Cheers, Stu

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
Mito #794292 12/30/19 10:15 am
Novice poster
Novice poster
Hi Stu, I thought I may of saved a copy of the original add for this, lets just see if I can also upload a screenshot of this to the forum, hopefully this works

[img]https://ibb.co/xjXJCcp[/img]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Dan H; 12/30/19 10:18 am.

Looking for Royal Enfield project bikes

Moderated by  royaloilfield 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership