BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite Pistons
BritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New to me bike hauler (FORD)
#792463 12/09/19 5:01 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

With issues.... Any ford truck guys here?

Let me start with some quick back story.... This truck is new to me . I was told before I went to pick it up that it needed a clutch but I could drive it in 1st or 2nd gear.... It had also been sitting for a few years and the guy just wanted it out of his yard... (He owed me money so he was giving me the truck)

So... New battery and a tap to the solenoid and the truck fires right up , that 4.9L sounds tight with only 103,000 miles on it.... Took it for a test ride and all seemed well. I could make it slip in 4th gear going up hill but seemed drivable .... I needed to get it home an hour away.... Seemed doable...
I also notice that most if not all of the vacuum lines are so rotted that they dont even stay connected but truck is running good.... I'll fix them at home I decided.

No problems most of the way home on the back roads and then after a little stint on the highway I get off at the exit and the clutch pedal stays on the floor. I lift the pedal with my foot and the truck lurches forward . It does this for the next few gear changes but then the clutch just goes away altogether and I drift off to the side of the road and wait for AAA.

A few weeks later I start the truck again ... The clutch is back and the pedal is normal. I pulled it into the space were I will replace the clutch and slave cylinder but I keep thinking about how weird this all is.... Last clutch I replaced was on my 67 Chevelle so this is a little new to me. Being hydraulic and all.... Research tells me that the vacuum lines have nothing to do with my clutch issue.... Right? And why dont I have engine lights or running issues with the vacuum lines in such bad shape? I have read that under the dash is a pedal bushing can be a problem so will check it but those symptoms seem different then mine issue....
SO !!! Will replacing the clutch and hydraulic cylinder slave solve my issues? What else should I be looking for? And how critical is it that I get the flywheel turned (or replaced)??????

Thanks

My to do list is getting longer and longer but I need a working second vehicle ... Tranny is still out on my chevy truck and the Jeep although running better then ever is about to turn 370,000.... Its only a matter of time wink

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: New to me bike hauler (FORD)
wadeschields #792467 12/09/19 5:30 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have a 92 truck - same as yours.

The pedal boxes on these trucks have bushings that go bad - see if that is the issue.

Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder.

You may need a new slave cylinder, which is in the transmission bell housing.

Check for hydraulic leaks around the transmission - it will collect at the bottom of the housing (where your rear main oil leaks are too).

Changing all that is a chore; the hardest part is putting the transmission back in and getting it to engage with the flywheel.

I would go ahead and change the clutch and rear main oil seal while you have the tranny out.

A few good youtube videos I found helpful:

https://youtu.be/POFwh2iepE4

https://youtu.be/5WfXF60i-2E

https://youtu.be/wJc3JxWkSUM

https://youtu.be/7s92z2WmxPY

Take your time and you will be fine. If I can do it, you can too.

Good Luck!

David in Atlanta
73 BMW R75/5
73 Triumph Tiger

http://tinyurl.com/beautiful-Anna

wadeschields #792469 12/09/19 5:59 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks David !! I saw some of those videos already but the new ones are great... thumbsup

wadeschields #792479 12/09/19 9:48 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
i would recomend to also replace the master cyl and resurface the flywheel so you start with 2 fresh surfaces on the new clutch.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
wadeschields #792482 12/09/19 10:19 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'll take a stab at air in the hydraulic system. especially with it coming good by itself after sitting for some time.
Rather then spending money on new parts up front, try bleeding the system first. Run enough fluid through to entirely replace the brake fluid.
It's possible, especially considering the state of the hoses, that it's been years since the fluid was replaced and it's picked up some water. That can partially vaporise with heat (more likely with brakes than clutch) to give air bubbles in the line. There may also be a small leak somewhere - lines can self-prime if allowed to sit.

While you're at it, replace the brake flid as well. Dodgy brakes are a much more serious safety concern than the clutch.

wadeschields #792524 12/10/19 5:43 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
thanks ... All good advice

wadeschields #792530 12/10/19 12:18 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
while the flywheel is off if it has a 1 piece rear main seal change it also.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
wadeschields #792534 12/10/19 1:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My bike hauler......09 Ranger 4x4 5 speed. First ford truck I have owned. Bought it used two years ago..I replaced the damaged bed....It does the job and has suprisingly very good handling....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati 81 Ducati Pantah 500 ..On a bike you can out run the demons..
wadeschields #792537 12/10/19 2:47 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
It might be a bit more work, taking all these great suggestions from people who have been there done that, but if you do it, you might have 200,000 miles worth of toy hauling in front of you ..... for not a whole lot of money.

Lannis

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it."
wadeschields #792563 12/10/19 10:18 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Did this job on my 93 version some years back at about. 160K miles. All good advice above, especially the rear main seal, slave cylinder, and flywheel surface. Do it right and you won't have to go back there for a long time.

You will need to get the truck up pretty high and use a trans jack or adaptor on your floor jack. I remember the crossmenmber being a pain as the bolts are hard to get to. Solved that with universals and an air wrench. The line from the master to slave cylinder is hard plastic into a stab fittting. The special tool to take it off is cheap, but requires a good bit of strength in your hands/fingers to get it apart in close quarters underneath. I used a couple of pins made from bolts with the heads cut off to help line the transmission up when reinstalling. Went in fine. 7/16 no, if memory serves. Check what you take out to be sure.

Bleeding that thing is a PITA. Plan on spending some time at it after reading the procedure. It will eventually bleed.

Your current symptoms are the same as mine when the replacement slave cylinder failed a year or so ago. Middle of the winter, so I cheated and had a shop do it. Cost around $400. Didn't mind the $$ so much as I went to extra effort to avoid later issues.

Good luck.

wadeschields #792564 12/10/19 10:21 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Another odd thing my truck did was the clevis where the clutch master cylinder connects to the pedal went bad. Caused it to pop off the pin, clutch pedal to go to the floor, and leave me stopped in the middle of the road during rush hour.

Lots of people are just haters when that happens.

wadeschields #792601 12/11/19 9:14 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Slave cylinders inside the bellhousing can be a pain in the backside / ass. It is possible to drill holes into bellhousings to check operation and inspect some components. Replacement of the clutch slave cylinder without removing the bellhousing might be a bit gynecological.

In the UK, many old Fords used clutch cables with an external connection to the clutch operating arm, much more sensible.

wadeschields #792617 12/11/19 5:44 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Will check this all out as I proceed thumbsup

wadeschields #792645 12/11/19 10:04 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Small world... I just saw Wade's entry about this truck on an F-150 forum.

Wade, I just went through the resurrection of a '95 that someone had let sit due to a blown out spark plug.

Can't help you with the clutch situation but I did have to revive a seized A/C compressor and got that working so hit me up when it comes time to work on that.

TG

'68 B25 Starfire (single)
'72 A65 Thunderbolt (twin (I'm sensing a pattern here..))
'78 XS750 Triple (Because I just can't get my hands on
a Rocket Three...)
'87 K100GS (four banger (Because NVT gave up too quick..)
tg4360 #792726 12/12/19 6:51 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by tg4360
Small world...

but I did have to revive a seized A/C compressor and got that working so hit me up when it comes time to work on that.

TG

That would be awesome Thanks !!! Next summer probably maybe spring...

wadeschields #792827 12/13/19 5:59 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A couple of items I haven't seen mentioned yet. Check the universals while you have the drive shaft out. Not difficult to replace but good opportunity to inspect while it is out and you are under the truck. Secondly, check the brakes out thoroughly. A friend gave me a 91 Ford Ranger that was sitting idle for 8 years due to a timing belt issue. The timing belt was simple and cheap to replace. All the brakes needed a complete rebuild along with a host of other items. No old iron likes to sit idle for long periods--bikes or trucks. Fortunately the Ford parts are easier to source. Good luck with the new hauler.

wadeschields #792872 12/14/19 2:31 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hey Wade,
I just did a new clutch in my "95" Ranger about this time last year. My slave cylinder was shot but since the big job is pulling and reinstalling the transmission I put in a new clutch and fly wheel, rear seal and hydraulic line with master cylinder.
My truck has a 2.3 four cylinder so a few things may be different but I think they are pretty much the same. It was a pretty big job. A few things I ran into. The hydraulic line cannot be bled with out taking it off and stretching it out to get the air out of the top of
a loop it has in it. I found one at Rockauto that was pre-bled with the fluid in it that was just a few $$ more that worked well.It is worth while to take off the inner wheel well covers to access some of bell housing bolts get at the hydraulic lines. A new fly wheel was actually $5 cheaper then getting it resurfaced so I went that way. A transmission jack I think is important because it would be really easy to bend the shaft just muscling it in. I used an ABS end cap to beat the main rear seal in. I got a Haynes manual on
Amazon that was useful ( torque specs ect.) and I found some good Youtube vids. Oh! Be kind to the rubber bushings on the ends of the cross member running under the back. they just don't exist anywhere so you can't get new ones.
My truck shifts better now then when it was new. I think it always had an air pocket in the hydraulic line that wouldn't bleed out. It's not rocket science but it's a time consuming job. I have 328,000 miles on my truck. best bang for the buck of any I have owned and is a great bike hauler.

Good luck,

JW

wadeschields #793074 12/16/19 2:03 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup Ill tear into it over christmas if its not too cold in the barn

wadeschields #795286 01/10/20 4:26 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
So last weekend I was able to dive into my clutch problem.... I think I may have figured out the strange symptoms .... See photos below. And how normal is that amount of shavings on the drain plug for 100,000 miles?

I think the rear seal looks OK and my flywheel cleaned up nicely with some emery cloth.... Replacing everything else in side (minus the rats nest) . Having trouble landing the pilot shaft back in ... Trans just wont quite slip back in . 5 hours later I gave up and had to step away. I will try again the next warmish day we have.... Should I smooth out the teeth on that flywheel. Or is that normal?

wadeschields #795287 01/10/20 5:34 am
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
I take it you were not using a
clutch Pilot alignment tool ?

without the tool you need a third foot , easing the clutch plates Mis-alignment
as the transmission shaft
Finds Its way fully into the pilot bearing .

good that the Mouse house is gone .
Mice have no respect for personal property .

wadeschields #795288 01/10/20 5:45 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Was the clutch making lots of peculiar squeaking sounds?

wadeschields #795291 01/10/20 6:59 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think the rear seal looks OK and my flywheel cleaned up nicely with some emery cloth.... Replacing everything else in side (minus the rats nest) . Having trouble landing the pilot shaft back in ... Trans just wont quite slip back in . 5 hours later I gave up and had to step away. I will try again the next warmish day we have.... Should I smooth out the teeth on that flywheel. Or is that normal?

Yes get the Dremel or thin file & clean up all those burs/
Now that I am on old fart I find laying on my back holding the box with one hand while thread the bolts in with the other a bit beyond my capacity.
Thus it is time for some gearbox fitting guides.
Get some cap bolts 2 to 4 inches longer than those originally fitted
Grind the heads off to make a taper
Then bring the box up and slide it onto the guide pins but keep the jack under the box to keep it fairly level.
If it decinately will not go in, loosen the clutch pressure plate bolts a little and then push the gear box in when a bit more force.
Once it has slipped into place, withdraw the box just enough to tighten the pressure plate bolts while using the mainshaft to keep everything in alignment
Tighten the pressure plate bolts.
A long O offet ring spanner works well for this.
Then shove the box back into place
One at a time pull the guide bolts out & replace them with the real mounting bolts and do them up finger tight then wen all of the bolts are in do them up to torque.

Now mark up your new tools and put them some where so safe you can not find them the next time you need to pull the box so you can have fun making another set.
Have just done exactly this replacing a rear welch plug on the van.

It is good to use the pins when removing the box as well so it comes back square to the engine & does not bend the end of the mainshaft or mutilate the pilot bearing.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Shane in Oz #795294 01/10/20 10:13 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
Was the clutch making lots of peculiar squeaking sounds?

laughing clap

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride"
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan
who does not do politics

wadeschields #795304 01/10/20 1:07 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I did use the alignment tool ... Maybe I was tired and frustrated ... Hope it goes easier next time....

wadeschields #795380 01/11/20 4:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wade man dude, did you buy that truck from Disney... shocked

I'm sure if you keep all that evidence, someone out there will pay you large, just think....Mickey's very own Ford pickup... thumbsup

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership