BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
BeezaBryan
BeezaBryan
Derbyshire UK
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Butterfly oil tank cap
#792332 12/08/19 12:14 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I've looked and seen countless photos of Gold Stars but never seen one with a butterfly oil tank cap which my one has. It was rebuilt and registered in feb 1971. It has a 1959 frame and the first 1961 engine no.5684. Would also love to know the origin of the engine.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Butterfly oil tank cap
John Alexander #792345 12/08/19 1:56 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The butterfly oil cap I think was first used on BB Goldies. I bought a bike minus engine in the 70s but complete otherwise and the frame is one the first swinging arm Goldies so is a BB32A, 1953 registered. You could check which frame your has since might be an early one, had to be re-registered in 71.

They may also have been used on the BB32R frames since they had them on the Daytona Goldies in 54 and may have been used on the trials type bikes that those frames were made for.

I have a parts manual for it, shows clearly the oil cap. Frame is markedly different too, solid lump of steel brazed in for the oil pump kink and quite narrow under the gearbox compared to CB frames, plus a few other small mods.

Mal

Daytona Gold Star replica
DBD34/Norton
996 Ducati Boposta
350 MV Augusta
Aermacchi racer

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership