BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis
10937 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 101
franko 67
DavidP 61
quinten 60
Popular Topics(Views)
1,062,170 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,235
Posts684,698
Members10,937
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (Alan_nc), 670 guests, and 908 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pre Unit Valve Spring height / pressure #792070 12/04/19 11:27 pm
S
Samsmc1 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Can anyone tell me where to look for the spring pressure and spring height for a mid '50's T110 / TR6?
I'm also curious to see if anyone has ever had any problems with the springs available from either MCA or Wassell's in the UK? Their springs are supposedly made in the UK.
Thanks
Sam

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Pre Unit Valve Spring height / pressure [Re: Samsmc1] #792098 12/05/19 8:01 am
S
Stein Roger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
On the first question I don't have an answer to fitted spring height, but will offer some good information on spring pressures, lifted from this forum earlier.
I only concern myself with coil bind, which usually doesn't become a problem unless you use a high lift cam or incorrect valves, springs or spring cups.
Seated valve pressure is however very easy to determine. Please read the passage below, written by the incomparable Pete R some time back.
I use this method myself now and don't mess around with fitted spring heights anymore. I measure the springs free length beforehand to determine if they're close to spec.
If seated pressure is low (too high hasn't happened yet) I use spacers or shims under the spring base cup.
I will add that on a normal engine that isn't modified in any way and the springs are in spec, I won't bother checking spring pressure.
NB! It's important to know that Triumph changed the spring cups for thinner ones to go with longer springs in the late 60's. These parts must not be mixed, for obvious reasons.

Correct valve-spring seated load is probably hand-written into your manual, but you won't find it in a Triumph manual.
You'll find incorrect figures, 87 lbs (40kp) EXHAUST and 75lbs (34Kp) INTAKE, which were never used in production.
This would bring a new exhaust spring close to coil-bind (about 0.060" from coil-bind with standard cams).
The outer valve spring free length in the manual is also wrong.
I measure them at 1-5/8"(+1/32",-0.0),not 1-1/2". (40,6-42mm)

Try for seated loads of 75lbs (34Kp) EXHAUST, 65lbs (29Kp) INTAKE.
Measure it with bathroom scales. That's a little more than Triumph used, but not much.
We can assume these pushrods were correctly seated on the cam-followers and rocker-balls when they were installed.
Usually if pushrod cups are chewed up at the outer edge,they've been binding on the rocker arm above the rocker-ball.
*The cup in the pushrod should be just under 5/32" deep.You can grind some off the end to reduce this depth and increase clearance if there are geometry problems.
*Usually there's plenty of clearance in this area on a 650 Triumph.You can swing the pushrod more than 15 degrees from square on the rocker-ball.You need less than 10 degrees.

To use bathroom scales, find a stick (a 2 by 2, a broom handle, whatever) and put it on the scale. Push a valve top against the stick until it opens and read the scales.
Takes some getting used to, but you soon get the hang of it.

Thanks Pete
SR

Re: Pre Unit Valve Spring height / pressure [Re: Samsmc1] #792108 12/05/19 4:15 pm
S
Samsmc1 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Pete
I know how to check the spring pressure, but without knowing the length of the installed valve, I have nothing to go by.
There are numbers in the unit workshop manuals, but not the pre unit, plus pre units used different springs and valves if memory serves me correctly.
I may call Kibblewhite and see if they have any numbers I can use - I guess it's worth a try.

Re: Pre Unit Valve Spring height / pressure [Re: Samsmc1] #792138 12/05/19 11:25 pm
S
Stein Roger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Just trying to help, nothing in your post pointed to your proficiency. John Healy and others have those numbers, but I save stuff like that:

John Healy, Valve stem lengths:

The distance from the head to the tip of the stem when valve seated on the alloy head is on 650 models:
Intake 1.743"
Exhaust 1.681"

Hth
Stein Roger

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO