BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Mark Parker
Mark Parker
Bega NSW Australia
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Meant to be ridden
#792003 12/04/19 12:33 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
This is one of my favourite GS photos because it shows a machine in it's prime being ridden very hard. Taken around 1960 competing in a club scramble near Victoria BC, a time when the big singles were still able to hold off the two strokes on the fast courses. The is the late Dave Moore, one of the Victoria Club's more skilled riders. Visible is the licence plate mounted on the side as Dave rode the machine on the road, in trials and enduro events.

Gordo

Click to enlarge
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Meant to be ridden
Gordo in Comox #792054 12/04/19 8:05 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gordo. Is that the 350 GS that got the front wheel from my Clipper? I well remember the day Dave came over with a front wheel from one of Al Barclay's dirt track bikes and a new tire and tube he talked me into trading for the small brake front wheel on the Clipper. A few of us enjoyed sitting on the stairs in the basement while Dave installed the new tube and tire. He even brought along his own bottle of dish soap. Dave was very quick on that Gold Star.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Gordo in Comox #792063 12/04/19 10:29 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Wilf: As I recall that was a 350 machine but that did not seem to handicap Dave at all. That looks like the 7 inch brake for sure.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Gordo in Comox #792072 12/04/19 11:40 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
It would be kind of neat if there were a racing series where it was a requirement that the race bike had to be ridden in from at least 50 miles away, and either the lights taken off or lights taped over, the bike raced with whatever support could be carried to the track on it, and then ridden back out on the street after the race.

Guys did this all over the US, UK, and Europe back in the day ...

Lannis

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it."
Gordo in Comox #792109 12/05/19 4:40 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member

I rode my Ossa 250MAR to a trial over fifty miles away in Ireland, rode the trial, got wet and muddy, then rode home. This was in the 70s. Oh how young and foolish we were, then. Oh what fun we had..

Gordo in Comox #792140 12/05/19 11:43 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When we were doing the historic racing at Westwood Raceway in Port Coquitlam there was a crazy local that would ride his Rocket 3 out to the track, tape up his lights and go racing, and when done ride home. I think his name is/was John Collett.

Boomer on his Gold Star at the last Historic Race in 1990:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bill B...

Boomer
Lannis #792239 12/07/19 2:39 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
It would be kind of neat if there were a racing series where it was a requirement that the race bike had to be ridden in from at least 50 miles away, and either the lights taken off or lights taped over, the bike raced with whatever support could be carried to the track on it, and then ridden back out on the street after the race.

Guys did this all over the US, UK, and Europe back in the day ...

Lannis

Spot on Lannis, its where the name Clubmans comes from, must be STD production and road worthy ( this excluded Manx Nortons and AS 7 Rs which were race only), the Goldie killed the class by total domination. The Goldie is a boys Barbie doll , change of clothes , ready for anything,

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Gordo in Comox #792285 12/07/19 7:58 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There are two pitfalls to this. First if you have a mechanical problem due to thrashing the daylights out of whatever is is and second when you fall off due a little over enthusiasm.

I have had both happen on several occasions but always took the bike in a van so was ok most times. Made a mistake one day though and took a friend with me and made the second mistake, high sided I recall. Turned out my mate didn’t have a driving licence for cars, only a biker! I had to drive home, couldn’t walk properly, so drove onto the pavement at my dad’s house to knock on his door from the van window and get him to park it up up for me. Motto, check who’s coming with you.

Mal

Daytona Gold Star replica
DBD34/Norton
996 Ducati Boposta
350 MV Augusta
Aermacchi racer

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership