BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Tasman
Tasman
Tasmania - Gateway to Antarctica
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis, Boggie
10936 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 61
quinten 56
Popular Topics(Views)
1,059,409 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,202
Posts684,601
Members10,936
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (Beach), 360 guests, and 819 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
amal premier 626 #791840 12/02/19 9:27 am
B
billtowers Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Some time ago I fitted two brand new 626 Premiers to my T100R. Having previously read all the bad news about these carbs, I dismantled them both, cleaned them, adjusted the float levels, fitted them and spent the next year trying to get the bike to behave.
It had plenty of power, started with plenty of tickling, went really well but in traffic with a hot engine was awful.
Sometimes it would slowly speed up then cut out, sometimes it would spit back and die.
I proceeded to check EVERTHING over the period. The motor was my own build, but I still checked everything, including sending the TRI SPARK back for testing.
Upon finding a big carbon build up in the right cylinder, I again pulled the head off. At this point both carbs were stripped AGAIN but were sitting side by side on the bench. I happened to glance at them and noticed that the brass spray tubes were at different heights. I flipped them over and could see that the R/H
one hadn't been pressed in properly.
I turned up a soft punch, gave the offender a whack, and solved all my problems with a hammer blow. The old bike is now perfect!!!
All good for me, but what about the poor bloke who bought a single carb with the same problem and nothing to compare it with.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791864 12/02/19 5:17 pm
F
fried okra Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
Yes, and to think of all the time and frustration you went thru frown

fried okra

Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791882 12/02/19 9:33 pm
T
Tigernuts Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Burlen do themselves no favours by letting carbs go out without proper checking. This kind of thing is really cowboyish. I hope you told them about it, even if the guarantee period was up?

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791887 12/02/19 10:44 pm
B
billtowers Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Tigernuts, I certainly did let them know about their quality control, but of course there was no reply, so "Bollocks to Burlen"

Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791888 12/02/19 10:47 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by billtowers
Tigernuts, I certainly did let them know about their quality control, but of course there was no reply, so "Bollocks to Burlen"

Very surprised about this, how long ago was this?

beerchug
Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791897 12/03/19 12:51 am
B
billtowers Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Alan Gill, not sure of the date of my complaint to Burlen but it was many months ago.

Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791919 12/03/19 9:14 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by billtowers
Alan Gill, not sure of the date of my complaint to Burlen but it was many months ago.

Ah ok, not like 10/25 years ago then. I’m very surprised. I check every carb I buy as I sell them on and each time I ask myself why I bother, but I still do it out the fact I can only blame myself if it’s not right.

The good news for you was it’s a 4 stroke spray tube. In the past I’ve swapped tubes between carbs (back when I was scratching for every penny) aligning a 2 stroke spray tube is darn difficult, that I can say.

beerchug
Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791927 12/03/19 11:02 am
B
billtowers Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
I can believe that Alan. My story just proves the fact that when you get to my age and you think you have seen everything that can possibly happen with an engine, you are wrong!!.

Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791929 12/03/19 11:55 am
D
DarrenJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
I fitted a single new non-Premier 626 to my T100C 6 weeks ago and it hasn't ran well since. Even when the engine is very warm it needs to be tickled until I see petrol coming out the tickler and the bike keeps cutting out. It isn't driveable to be honest!

My float level is about 3mm from the edge of the float bowl so I might heighten it a little.

The pilot jet seems to be very lean too as the screw needs to be well screwed in for it to idle at all.

I have, like yourself, stripped it down, cleaned the pilot jet, tried fitting proper gaskets instead of the o-ring to troubleshoot air leaks, checked and replaced all of the ignition parts, replaced air filter and throttle cable.

I am going to fit the old carb to see does it improve. I must check the part you mention.

Re: amal premier 626 [Re: billtowers] #791935 12/03/19 1:29 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Darren. With the stay up floats you must adjust the float to the fluid level. The .060” -0.080” no longer applies. Burlen state the correct level. You can modify an old float bowl drain screw and fit a barb with a pipe coming off and up the side, open to atmosphere. Hth

beerchug
Re: amal premier 626 [Re: DarrenJ] #791967 12/03/19 7:11 pm
Dave Lid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by DarrenJ
, tried fitting proper gaskets instead of the o-ring to troubleshoot air leaks,

Hi Darren try fitting a 3mm thickTufnol gasket and the paper gasket but still use the "O" ring as well worked a treat for me

Always remember there are 3 kinds of people in this world,those that can count & those that can't.
T140V 1974
GT750 1974
GT550 1974
TL1000 97s
Re: amal premier 626 [Re: Dave Lid] #791986 12/03/19 10:10 pm
D
DarrenJ Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
I have a new Tufnol gasket and a good precut paper gasket each side of it. I will fit the o-ring again so. Thanks.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO