BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis
10937 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 101
franko 67
DavidP 61
quinten 60
Popular Topics(Views)
1,062,170 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,235
Posts684,698
Members10,937
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Alan_nc), 670 guests, and 908 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Petrol Tap Replacement Seals #791912 12/03/19 7:37 am
T
tiger_cub Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
I have a large selection of Triumph petrol taps, all of which leak. These are the later lever type, not the push-pull cork seal type. Does anyone know of a source for the internal rubber seals? They are held in with a circlip. Thanks

1966 Triumph Thunderville
1970 TR6C
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Petrol Tap Replacement Seals [Re: tiger_cub] #791994 12/03/19 11:00 pm
T
TR7RVMan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Hi tiger_cub. In a word no. Are your leakers original tapered plug type?

The tapered plastic plugs used to be sold by dealer, but I've not seen them in years. The rubber sleeves like the modern repro use I've never seen for sale. I guess the taps are so low priced, no one is making parts.

My repro Taiwan made tap got stiff to turn. I put motor oil around snap ring & center shaft. Turned lever several times. Did this over several days. Tap started to move freely/normal again. Has stayed free moving for some months now. I expected leaking or the rubber to migrate & block passage, but so far has been good. I have clear fuel filters so can see how fast fuel flows when turning on tap after bike has set for a few days or longer. Have tested actual flow several times to prevent lack of fuel.
Don

1973 Tiger 750
Re: Petrol Tap Replacement Seals [Re: tiger_cub] #792016 12/04/19 6:55 am
tridentt150v Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
There are still to types being sold. A brass taper fit unit with an o ring seal, and the straight fit nickel coated brass type with a neoprene [soft plastic?] insert.

The brass ones can get very stiff after some time, to the point where you will bend the tap handle trying to turning. I have tried several things including lubricating and smoothing with 800 grit emery, none worked 100%.
The neoprene ones work great for years but the neoprene can swell with fuel and slowly closes off the rate of fuel getting through. To fix this you need to take the tap off and hand twist a new drill bit through the tap while it is open. this cuts the swollen part of the neoprene away and opens the tap again. You may need to do this several times over the life of the tap [maybe not, maybe yes, its hard to know, just gotta suck it and see], eventually the amount of neoprene removed affects the seal of the tap and you need to replace them.

Re: Petrol Tap Replacement Seals [Re: tiger_cub] #792074 12/04/19 11:52 pm
T
tiger_cub Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
They are the plated ones available under part no 83-2800/1. Thick internal seal, not an o ring. I will approach a local seal supplier.......

1966 Triumph Thunderville
1970 TR6C

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO