BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Tasman
Tasman
Tasmania - Gateway to Antarctica
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis, Boggie
10936 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 61
quinten 56
Popular Topics(Views)
1,059,409 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,202
Posts684,601
Members10,936
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Beach), 360 guests, and 819 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #790559 11/19/19 12:35 pm
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Luckily, on the B44 (and B50) the pump never has to develop much pressure because all bearings are rolling type. Beat (that's his name) on the B50 forum put a pressure gauge on the pressure side and said it went negative at high rpm. Apparently the centrifugal force developed by the crank throw was drawing more oil than the pump could produce!

I met a man at Loring Maine who had put a turbocharger on his B44. Unfortunately, he couldn't get it to run but he was using the scavenge side of a standard B44 oil pump to lubricate the turbocharger and said he could get 75psi. So we're probably over obsessing about oil pressure on our B44s.

But B25s on the other hand need pressure to lubricate the insert bearing on the connecting rod. The B25 cast iron pump on the OIF models has larger gears than the B50, but I don't know if the same was true for the older B25 vs B44s. And I don't know what problems occur if you use a B25 pump in a B44 or B50.

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 11/19/19 12:40 pm.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #790564 11/19/19 1:16 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Not sure what you mean by distriuter drive...... the 3 positions on the primary case are:

large cover for strobe timing the igntion, it looks like some damage has occured on the housing of this. there should be 2 positions for the timing pin, one of the B series experts will tell you which one for the B44

off set threaded inspection hole, for checking chain tension

central/back inspection hole is for adjusting the clutch movement before engagement. so you would set up the amount of play from the clutch arm when there is no tension applied on the cable.

in addition the one side mounted (underside of the case) is for the primary chain adjuster. So adjust here and check through the top inspection hole for correct play.

beerchug
Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #790598 11/19/19 6:21 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
To expand on Koncretekid's response.

The B44 uses a roller bearing big end, the clearances are huge and do not slow the oil flow down except at startup with cold oil, as a rolling element bearing the oil does produce an oil film but operates on 48 rollers not as one pair of shells sliding over a single journal where you want an oil film to stop them touching. There is never a need for an oil pressure gauge as it tells you nothing with a roller bearing, on a shell bearing big end the oil pressure is confirmation that the tight clearances needed at the journal needed to build up an oil film for the bearing to ride on are present.

Oil pumps, the B50/B25 scavenge to feed differences are also on the B44/B25 pumps. The scavenge side is common but the roller bearing pump has thinner feed gears, the resistance of the shell bearing slows the flow keeping the effective 2 to 1 ratio scavenge to feed of the narrower roller bearing feed. So the sump is always being overcleared. Fit a B25 pump to a roller bearing crank and the 2:1 ratio drops so potentially the sump will not clear as quickly at start up and if scavenge wears quicker than the feedside losing its capacity to flow then constant wet sumping will start and a smoky exhaust.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: kommando] #790640 11/19/19 11:15 pm
F
Frank the Welder Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
Originally Posted by kommando
Gear, its a left hand thread, replace the plunger into the hole and then draw it to the back of the hole using the cable lever, once it bottoms out it should then unscrew with sufficient applied torque to the lever, protect the cover.

Thanks! There are so many interesting engineering solutions on these bikes.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Allan Gill] #790646 11/20/19 12:16 am
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
Originally Posted by Allan Gill
Not sure what you mean by distriuter drive

It's the two bolt cover on the right side center case at about two o'clock. It looks to run an appliance off the crank pinion.

large cover for strobe timing the igntion, it looks like some damage has occured on the housing of this. there should be 2 positions for the timing pin, one of the B series experts will tell you which one for the B44

Is this access still used with electronic ignition?

off set threaded inspection hole, for checking chain tension.

central/back inspection hole is for adjusting the clutch movement before engagement. so you would set up the amount of play from the clutch arm when there is no tension applied on the cable.

in addition the one side mounted (underside of the case) is for the primary chain adjuster. So adjust here and check through the top inspection hole for correct play.

Great, thanks for the information. I am learning a lot and appreciate your patience.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #790730 11/20/19 11:44 pm
gavin eisler Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but , if you have a BSA unit single the books by Rupert Ratio are essential reading, better than a workshop manual. Theres an engine one, and one for all the rest.
http://www.ratiopublishing.co.uk/

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: gavin eisler] #790834 11/21/19 10:58 pm
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
I have a copy of the Rupert Ratio book and should have bought two of them. I work on the bike before and after work (at the shop) and can't keep track of where I leave it. I did find it long enough to learn that it's the tach drive, not a distro.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: kommando] #790845 11/21/19 11:37 pm
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
To expand on Koncretekid's response.

The B44 uses a roller bearing big end, the clearances are huge and do not slow the oil flow down except at startup with cold oil, as a rolling element bearing the oil does produce an oil film but operates on 48 rollers not as one pair of shells sliding over a single journal where you want an oil film to stop them touching. There is never a need for an oil pressure gauge as it tells you nothing with a roller bearing, on a shell bearing big end the oil pressure is confirmation that the tight clearances needed at the journal needed to build up an oil film for the bearing to ride on are present.

Oil pumps, the B50/B25 scavenge to feed differences are also on the B44/B25 pumps. The scavenge side is common but the roller bearing pump has thinner feed gears, the resistance of the shell bearing slows the flow keeping the effective 2 to 1 ratio scavenge to feed of the narrower roller bearing feed. So the sump is always being overcleared. Fit a B25 pump to a roller bearing crank and the 2:1 ratio drops so potentially the sump will not clear as quickly at start up and if scavenge wears quicker than the feedside losing its capacity to flow then constant wet sumping will start and a smoky exhaust.

Thanks! I am glad I reread this. My stock pump has very little wear and seems to be fine after touching things up so that is good news. I thought about adding o-rings between the scavenge and pressure side below the thrust washers but I won't likely store the bike "wet" between rides.

I got my cases back from wet-blasting and they look good. The corrosion is pretty bad in a couple places but tolerable.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

You may have noticed the extra hole in the cam plate fulcrum.

The contents of the cases were mostly full of water so the cotter pin was 75% gone and the pin was stuck. I drilled the extra hole to drive the pin out.

Last edited by Frank the Welder; 11/21/19 11:44 pm.
Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791313 11/26/19 12:48 am
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
I went through the right side crank case removing flashing, chamfering rough holes and cleaning passages when I came across a hole in the scavenge pick-up tube. I wanted to make sure it didn't belong there before I delete it.

The motor mounts need a lot of material. The rear mount is missing .155" in width. Ill do all the welding at once after a good preheat.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791351 11/26/19 10:28 am
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
That hole has to go or the oil level in the sump will be set by that hole and not by the oil pickup, it will be too high and result in a smoky exhaust due to oil being thrashed around by the flywheel and getting up past the rings.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791363 11/26/19 1:22 pm
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
You should pull the spigot out from the bottom of the sump to inspect. Best way to do that is to tap it 6mm-1.0 and draw it out using a 6mm bolt with lots of thread or a 6mm threaded rod that can be screwed into the now threaded spigot. Use a suitable sized socket over the spigot and tighten a nut down to extract the spigot. It has a small ball held in with a steel pin which is probably corroded. Then you can weld up that hole, or plug it and make sure the scavenge hole is clear up to the pump.

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 11/26/19 1:24 pm.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: koncretekid] #791430 11/27/19 12:13 am
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
That hole has to go or the oil level in the sump will be set by that hole and not by the oil pickup, it will be too high and result in a smoky exhaust due to oil being thrashed around by the flywheel and getting up past the rings.

I noticed the cast-in crank skimmers. My motorcycle background is 2 stroke but I have seen inside car engines. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by koncretekid
You should pull the spigot out from the bottom of the sump to inspect. Best way to do that is to tap it 6mm-1.0 and draw it out using a 6mm bolt with lots of thread or a 6mm threaded rod that can be screwed into the now threaded spigot. Use a suitable sized socket over the spigot and tighten a nut down to extract the spigot. It has a small ball held in with a steel pin which is probably corroded. Then you can weld up that hole, or plug it and make sure the scavenge hole is clear up to the pump.

Tom

I tapped and pulled the sump scavenge valve assembly as you described, it came right out and the contents were a mess. Thanks for the assist.

I went ahead and drilled out the rot hole and covered it up. The wall is super thin in that spot. Ill bet many are seeping through there to some degree.

I read up on the width of the engine mounting bosses and what a great resource that was. all mine were worn to some degree. Here are some images of the process.

Good example of damage.

I ground off the surface to find clean metal then welded up one side of the case at a time so I don't lose the bolt hole.

More after dinner.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791492 11/27/19 11:05 pm
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
Next thing on my list is to restore the original surfaces to the point just prior to the final machining operation before assembly. I start with the flat surfaces and use them as reference points for whatever sculpting is involved.

The visual contrast between the factory rough cast and the new metal was pretty obvious so I started experimenting with methods for getting the surface to look good and dabbled with it at each point that I had completed a surface. I used a pneumatic needle gun used for stress relieving welds, removing slag etc. though is was still a bit much.

I went back over all the motor mount bosses and restored the width as the final step.

Last edited by Frank the Welder; 11/29/19 11:30 pm. Reason: Orignal sentence made no sense.
Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791496 11/27/19 11:16 pm
Jon W. Whitley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Excellent work Frank. Thanks for the education cool

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791762 12/01/19 1:40 pm
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
Thanks for the kind words though I am just repeating what you guys have been doing for years.

My pressure relief valve was shot and completely stuck in the casting so I welded a piece of tube to the nut to extract it. There wasn't much room for a socket over the nut so chopped the tube off the valve body and turned a piece of 3/4" bar to fit inside and pressed it in and used the assembly to set a little horizontal mill to spot face the landing spot.

Valve body converted from original purpose to become an alignment bar.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

I was finally able to coax the bearings off the end of the crank spindles so the next stem is to remove the nut retainer.

I am fairly sure the little screw isn't going to want to come out but as I understand it doesn't need to. It's part of the pin which is discarded with the bearings (at least in this case) ?

Thanks, Frank

<EDIT> I had that all wrong.

Last edited by Frank the Welder; 12/01/19 3:15 pm.
Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791780 12/01/19 6:47 pm
gunner Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I don't know much about the little screw on the crank but its worth noting that the OPRV on B44's is virtually useless because the crank has a roller big end and the oil system has very little pressure.

What some folks do is to block off the OPRV return hole, remove the spring and ball and then fit an adapter so that any excess oil is routed up to the rockers.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: gunner] #791798 12/01/19 9:07 pm
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
The little screw is the end of the oil galley and connected to the sludge trap which was packed with filth.

I have read up a bit on the various oil system mods and will likely do exactly what you mentioned. I think there is flow restriction orifice in the line to the rockers in one version.

I got the crank apart at there are some huge rot holes in the flywheels but the journals seem fine.

I am guessing it's cast steel which should weld fine. Ill try a small spot and see how it behaves.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791808 12/01/19 10:26 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The B44 flywheels are steel, either forged or cast.

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: kommando] #791842 12/02/19 10:34 am
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
The B44 flywheels are steel, either forged or cast.

excellent thanks!

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791849 12/02/19 1:54 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Not going to get around to the pump mod on the Unit single but here is a Norton pump I did earlier

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Its an X seal or quad ring seal not an O ring so the sealing surfaces are doubled, it should be a garter seal but space limitations mean compromises must be made.

Quad Ring for Unit single pump, including earlier C15/B40 pump

011 0.070"Cross Section X 0.301"ID

And here is my mod for the unused pressure release valve, this mod uses the housing to feed cool oil from the oil tank to the rockerbox instead of hot oil from the return, reduces the clatter of the rockers.

http://www.b50.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2948&sid=5446f9ded1790857ea29997df66cb773

Re: Old Smokey B44 project. [Re: Frank the Welder] #791898 12/03/19 12:52 am
F
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
F
Thanks Kommando, nice job on the write-up. I finally took a little time to understand the oiling system and the logic behind the mods. I just need to block off the rocker feed on the crank case oil pipe union. Cheers. I have 98 of those seals available if you need some. I spent $15.00 on 100. No option for less. Amazon

Last edited by Frank the Welder; 12/03/19 12:57 am.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO