BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis
10937 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 101
franko 67
DavidP 61
quinten 60
Popular Topics(Views)
1,062,170 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,235
Posts684,698
Members10,937
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Alan_nc), 671 guests, and 908 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
wants to shut off #791697 11/30/19 5:44 pm
R
reverb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
...hello;
the other day I did about 60km on the road at 130km/h; today I just arrived from other 60km more at 130km/h.
Today is a windy and hotter day than the other.
Bike starts first kick but needs plenty of baby sitting warming if not the engine shut off.
Then on the road these two times, wanted to shut off like to grip or similar feeling. In 5 gear but in second too. Happened four times in 60km
I ultra sonic cleaned the carburetors (Mikuni) a few hundreds km ago.
I do not think that is an electric problem.
May be one of the fuel taps have tiny debris?
May be is another type of problem?
Do not happened before.

Thanks

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791751 12/01/19 4:30 am
M
mondtster Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
Check for air leaks. Based on the description it sounds like it may be lean.

Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791753 12/01/19 5:25 am
T
TR7RVMan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Hi Reverb, Just in case it’s low, what is battery voltage?
Remove cab drains & open tap. How does fuel flow? Both sides the same?
Don

1973 Tiger 750
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791755 12/01/19 8:44 am
G
Ginge Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
G
Hot and windy and 130km ( 80mph)

Bike wants to shut off 4 times in 60km in 2nd and 5th gear.

Bike is running hot and nipping up in the bore. Carb is lean or an air leak into cylinder as Mondtstar says.

Or ignition timing. Or valve clearances.

What does “shut off” mean? Sudden stop ( ignition) or loses power ( fuel or heat)

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame..."The Bantam Eater"
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Bottom end rumble awaiting diagnosis
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791771 12/01/19 5:11 pm
R
reverb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
...hello; as mentioned, the first day was not hot enough to make it problematic.
Valve clearance (2 spitfire camshaft with the same clearance) is right.
No lose power; wants to cut like when you have a short and the fuse wants to brake, but all ok there. And the feeling of gripping in the bore.
Did not detected an air leak; also never happened before so how an air leak now can appear?
Carburetors bowl level are right (Mikuni). May be I need to change the slides from 25 to 20.
Timing is at 36º or so (dual plugs head) because do not like 30, 32, 34. I bought the special smartfire for dual plugs head but still not installed cause no place in this bike for the generic coils that Pazon sent so I need to re locate and invent things to try to do a decent fitment but the other bike do not have spark hence I finish without transportation. I do not have enough time to disassemble etc in a day.

Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791772 12/01/19 6:06 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hasn’t this discussion been on before. Most people that are using a dual plug head have to retard the ignition by several degrees. Sounds like it’s getting too hot and it’s either running too lean or too advanced.

beerchug
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791783 12/01/19 7:37 pm
R
reverb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
...well; is the first time in almost 10000km so why not happened past Summer? in fact I changed to richer needles months ago.

Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791791 12/01/19 8:24 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by reverb
...well; is the first time in almost 10000km so why not happened past Summer? in fact I changed to richer needles months ago.

So if no other changes.... is there a balance pipe or something that can have fallen off, has a air leak formed at the carb manifold rubber or has the rubber got a split in it?

beerchug
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791806 12/01/19 9:46 pm
gavin eisler Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
You have Mikunis, they are mounted on rubber stubs they can split, usually its easy to tell , the motor will spit back a lot.
For your fault.
Maybe the richer needles are causing carbon to build up, then pre ignition, maybe not, who can tell from here.
First I would be draining the float bowls into a cup to look for water and fuel flow. grit etc..
If thats Ok, next I would blame the electrical system,start looking for bad connections in the ignition circuit, try by passing the switch that sort of thing.
If its not either of these things, compression check, and on the strobe to check advance / timing.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791809 12/01/19 11:47 pm
R
reverb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
...I am into the Mikuni specs for twin carburetors. The only thing that some suggest is to use richer slides when some tuning was performed. Tomorrow I will change to #20 slides.
I see the pipes more blueish.
No air leaks; no spit back. I never had that in these 10000km. Balance pipe is there and looks ok.
Bowls are clean.
The timing is what I mentioned.

I need to pull more the clutch after starting if I want to go if not wants to die like lean condition. Only with the engine cold. With the Mikuni, you can remove and see clearly if the pilot jet is clogged; not this case; may be is clogged the galleries?

Could be pre ignition.

Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791839 12/02/19 8:38 am
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Q

is the lack of power at all times , or more when it is warm to hot ?
your original post ,
Made it sound like an overheating piston "soft seizure"... where physical piston friction is robbing power

Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791844 12/02/19 11:47 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Might be worth whipping the head off and checking the piston crowns and bores for 4 corner seizure marks.

beerchug
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791902 12/03/19 1:46 am
R
reverb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
...did not had the time to work on the bike today.
No lack of power; as mentioned kind of grip of the pistons was the feeling or like when there is a short. Similar to those is the sensation.

Could have those marks; possible but I need the transportation right now.

Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791922 12/03/19 9:23 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Any chance of getting the pistons to near top dead, whip plugs out and look at the crowns through the plug hole. Any signs of being eaten away?

Last bike I had go really lean it went like the clappers, then died. After it cooled down it ran again for a short while, then it holed the piston. That was an air leak at the carb, but apart from the hole
In the piston the crown looked like it had been hit with a bead blasting gun. Very clean and very stippled.

The more I think about it the less I would think it would be a 4 corner seizure, whilst not impossible, I’ve only seen it on newly built top ends where the rings haven’t seated. Almost in your case eliminating the fact the piston has poor thermal conductivity with the bore as it’s done so many miles with no problems. But if it is that then I think you would
See the shot blast finish also on the crown. More learned minds may correct me on this.

beerchug
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #791925 12/03/19 10:51 am
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I know it's difficult for Fernando to get certain thing in Uruguay, but an "inexpensive" bore scope that uses a smart phone would save the labor of pulling the head to have a look at the pistons and cylinder walls...Certainly detonation at higher speeds can occur and may not be able to hear it over wind , exhaust and road noise.Detonation udner loadican be more destructive than occasion pinging at light throttle..It's been my experience that Triumphs will tolerate brief occasional light load pinging...
It's not Pre ignition because that will punch a hole in the center of the piston in just several engine cycles..
As Alan says, detonation can erode and clean the piston crown, but also it may just cause pock marks around the piston crown circumferance.. and can distort the top ring land and break rings..
Backing off the total ingnition can help but it also reduces timing at low speeds and can make the engine respond poorly and cause excessive exhaust heat unless the advance curve is changed...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #792075 12/04/19 11:56 pm
R
reverb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
...hello guys; I am too busy this week to dismantle stuff; also too much dust right now because I am rebuilding the kitchen and couple of rooms (cement; bricks; etc; plenty of dust from worn out old walls)
Tony; I called today a friend that had one of those cameras (the ones that do not use the phone) but is not in working order right now.

I think that is too lean; do not know exactly why. The gas kilometer age is too good right now.
I want to clarify that the shut off intention is not a dragging feel is like a "buck" sensation after a short cut. I would dismantle things and check for a possibly one.
Last time I checked I had 36º of timing how about try to move the green disc manually to 35º?

Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #792097 12/05/19 7:41 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
You might have already checked but the needle hasn’t dropped out if it’s clip has it?

beerchug
Re: wants to shut off [Re: reverb] #792242 12/07/19 3:00 am
R
reverb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
...hi Allan; needles are in are in place. With Mikuni carburetors is difficult that the needle escape.
I changed the slides and did 15km. Works better after the starting; no needed the clutch push; did not wanted to die. In the gearing up to 120km/h responded normal but not so much heat on the road and not so many kilometers to see if that could happens again.
Still I have not the two cylinders working properly when I cold start the engine with the choke. I need to go up on RPMs to hear the other one.
Then after warming I remove the chokes but still sounding like one cylinder operation until I let the engine to idle and idles right.
-I checked for electrical possible shorts but did not found any; only now the rear brake switch is not working.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO