BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis
10937 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 101
franko 67
DavidP 61
quinten 60
Popular Topics(Views)
1,062,170 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,235
Posts684,698
Members10,937
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Alan_nc), 671 guests, and 908 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B44 shooting star twist grip #791098 11/23/19 9:01 pm
J
Jon law Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Hi again - hoping someone can help. I had to remove the throttle / twist grip today to investigate the stiff action. Inside I found a folded steel clip with a hole in it and what I think might be the chewed remains of a spring ? I can’t find any diagrams showing how these parts fit together and whether there should even be a spring.
I think the metal clip must sit in the bottom of the housing with the hole over the Adjuster bolt - but which way round ? Open end facing forwards or the curved end facing forward ? It will fit either way but I guess only one is correct !

Any help appreciated............

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: B44 shooting star twist grip [Re: Jon law] #791100 11/23/19 9:17 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Think it's what remains of the friction device that allows you to have a crude cruise control. If it's original then it was a AMAL twistgrip, I buy new replacement and setup then up so a steady throttle opening is just a gentle pull, let go and it slowly shuts. A stuck open throttle is not good hence no messing with old worn out rubbish in this part of the bike.

Re: B44 shooting star twist grip [Re: Jon law] #791106 11/23/19 10:03 pm
J
Jon law Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
That makes sense - now I can see how turning the bolt underneath would lift the clip against the body and hold it open. The spring had disintegrated and was binding the action up.. think l,ll remove the steel clip and lock bolt now I know they aren’t needed, clean it up and see if it works. If not I think a new one is in order.
Thanks again kommando.

Re: B44 shooting star twist grip [Re: Jon law] #791135 11/24/19 2:47 am
V
Villiers Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
V
The friction thingie goes back to the days of hand signals. You couldn’t have a throttle that slammed shut every time you gave a signal otherwise the traffic behind you would roll straight over you. A throttle that stayed where you wanted it made riding much easier.
It was even trickier when hand gear changes were common. You certainly didn’t want the engine shutting down each time you changed gear.
Getting the throttle friction adjusted just so was one of those little things that made riding so much easier.

Re: B44 shooting star twist grip [Re: Jon law] #791141 11/24/19 8:32 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If yours is original and in otherwise good condition I’d be looking at buying a second hand unit and robbing the spring plate from that. I’ve found some crappy after market throttles, I’ve also found the AMAL ones very good or the AMAL style ones.

beerchug
Re: B44 shooting star twist grip [Re: Jon law] #791150 11/24/19 11:18 am
J
Jon law Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Ok, thanks for the insight. I cleaned out the inside of the housing and removed the decades old hard grease and bits of spring. I found that the bits of spring had scored the aluminium twister where it turns in the housing making the action lumpy. A quick go with the file and wet and dry and it’s as good as new ! Snaps back a treat now, really pleased as I wanted to keep as many of its original parts as possible.

Allan - I see you’re a West Yorkshire lad, do you get to Squires bar at Sherburn much ? I go most weeks in the summer so could show you the B44 if you’re there. Dozens of lovely British bikes there on Thursday evening along with the classic Jap stuff.

Cheers.

Re: B44 shooting star twist grip [Re: Jon law] #791193 11/24/19 8:49 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I get there on occasion but it’s relative to work load, family commitments etc. I’m near Pont’y so not too far from you. Hopefully will start to get some more miles under my belt next year, this one has been a busy one so we will see....

beerchug

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO