BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Magnetoman
Magnetoman
U.S.
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
58-59 BSA Spitfire Scrambler Project
#790908 11/22/19 11:12 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hello Everyone,

As some of you may have read in this thread,

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbt...identify-this-bike-components#Post787410

my father passed away a month or so ago and while looking for pictures for his memorial, I came across several pictures of him on his BSA Spitfire Scrambler. I thought it would be a fun project to recreate the bike in the picture as closely as possible. Partly as a little therapy, part memorial, and part nostalgia.

For reference in this thread, here is the bike I will be building:

[Linked Image from ]

Also from the previous thread I have compiled the following information about my father's bike:

A10S Spitfire Scrambler 1957 late model or maybe 1958-1959 frame.
Forks and Fork Boots and Upper Cover probably 59.
2 Gallon tank with stacked Rifles Badge
A10 Engine with Dynamo?
Lighting kit?
Rear fender Bobbed A10 with BSA side struts?
Sparto Tail light
Bates seat?
Bates front light?
BSA Western handlebars
Exhaust MCM or Superior
Tires Pirelli MT53
Full width front brake 8” used on 58 & 59?

So here are a few questions I have right off the bat as I tackle this beast.

1. Is there anyone here besides me that thinks the rear fender on my father's bike is actually the front fender? I've looked at probably 200 fenders and while some get close to that look, the only thing that seems to really make sense to me is that he took the fender off the front of the bike, modified it, put the Sparto light on it and dropped it over the rear wheel? Am I crazy or is that what it looks like?

2. Is eBay and this forum the best spot for parts? I would like to keep the bike as original as possible.

3. Can someone point me to the 59 fork like the one on my father's bike? I have a 58 frame and a "shunted" 59 front end was mentioned as maybe being on this bike. I have no idea what that is.

4. And lastly, the front light and bracket was said to be Bates but I'm having trouble locating a "lighting kit". I'm sure it's just not knowing exactly what I'm looking for at this point so anything at all helps.

And now for the fun part.

Thanks to @larrymondelo in San Diego, I was able to acquire the bones to build this 60 year old beast. She arrived on Wednesday and is definitely the epitome of a barn find. I won't even pretend to know where to start on the engine so if anyone knows a BSA engine expert in or around San Antonio, TX that can rebuild this engine/transmission, that would be awesome. It is a basket case, but 99% there. Here are some pics that @larrymondelo sent me before she was packed up and sent to Texas.

[Linked Image from dieselbarbershop.com]

I cannot thank everyone enough for all of their help with this. I will rely heavily on your advice as the experts and make this bike something my dad would look at and go "hey that's my bike....how in the hell did you find it?"

Now off to find a pressure washer. Gotta get this thing cleaned off to see what I'm really dealing with here.

Thanks everyone. - Shayne

1 member likes this: Morgan aka Admin
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 58-59 BSA Spitfire Scrambler Project
Shayne Brown #790914 11/22/19 11:55 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hang fire on the pressure washer, you will push water into inner recesses and later reveal rust, water proofing was never good on these bikes. oily rags are much easier on the finish.

Shayne Brown #792466 12/09/19 5:28 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
1. Is there anyone here besides me that thinks the rear fender on my father's bike is actually the front fender? I've looked at probably 200 fenders and while some get close to that look, the only thing that seems to really make sense to me is that he took the fender off the front of the bike, modified it, put the Sparto light on it and dropped it over the rear wheel? Am I crazy or is that what it looks like?

- That is a rear fender. I have the same fender and struts on my 57. look for a Clubman rear fender from a Goldstar...preferably a replica, because cutting the original will get you ostracized from the Brit bike community.

2. Is eBay and this forum the best spot for parts? I would like to keep the bike as original as possible.

- Here and the vendors listed here. eBay is not a reliable source for good parts for Brit bikes.

3. Can someone point me to the 59 fork like the one on my father's bike? I have a 58 frame and a "shunted" 59 front end was mentioned as maybe being on this bike. I have no idea what that is.

- Looks like your box standard BSA fork...not sure why it would be called a "59" Maybe I am missing something. The front brake is identical to the one tht came original on my 65 A65 Rocket. I remember there was a 1/8" difference in length in the lowers after that. It has Spitfire covers deleting the original headlamp mounts...or maybe your Pop's bike was a real Spitfire originally.

4. And lastly, the front light and bracket was said to be Bates but I'm having trouble locating a "lighting kit". I'm sure it's just not knowing exactly what I'm looking for at this point so anything at all helps.[i][/i]

- If you are patient they pop up at any swap meet for less than $60 in excellent shape. Most of mine are crusty and bumped. I keep them around for last second slap-ons.

Last edited by Denis J; 12/09/19 5:30 pm.

Full time classic motorcycle mechanic and enthusiast to a fault
Shayne Brown #792491 12/10/19 12:13 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Bates still do front lights, but the modern type is a bottom mount, which would work fine but not look the the one in the pic exactly, the one on your Dads bike has side mounts.
This sort.
https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/universal-complete-headlight-chrome-4-1-2-inch.html

fairly universal, the mount tabs could be bent from flat bar in Stainless , or mild steel then plated.

I hope a magneto and cylinder head were part of the 99 % complete. Didnt see them in the pics,.

Book reccomendation, BSA twin Restoration, by Roy Bacon, although not perfect for American model variations it will still be useful when hunting for used parts to spot year variations. I dont know if its still in print but used copies will be out there, the WSM for the year and parts book will be essential.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Denis J #792492 12/10/19 12:13 am
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Denis J

eBay is not a reliable source for good parts for Brit bikes.

You are going to have to break that one down for me, as on the surface, that statement is highly inaccurate.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

"Every time I listen to AC/DC, so do my neighbors"

Shayne Brown #793042 12/15/19 11:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The picture of the bike that your Dad is sitting on looks to be made up of several years. The rear brake and swingarm are from a '57 or earlier BSA twin but the front forks and wheel are from '58 and later models. Without knowing the numbers from the frame and engine its hard to make out exactly what year everything is let alone what model. The rear fender is a scrambler rear fender that has had the end cut off. If it was a West coast scrambler it would have been another three or four inches long with a curved and flared end.

eBay is okay to find parts from, just that you need to be careful of buying the correct parts. Also a lot of reproduction parts which may or may not fit.

The front forks and wheel, as I said above, are from a '59 or later model. If the frame number shows it's '57 or earlier then the front end has been replaced, maybe due to a shunt or more commonly described as a wreck. He ran into something or someone ran into him bending the forks and wheel so it was replaced with what was available.

The "lighting kit" was actually a kit made up of the bates headlight and bracket and the sparto tail light that was available from the BSA accessory catalog for the period.

Hopefully you received more parts then whats in those pictures to make up the difference between the 60% that's there and the 99% claimed.

Good luck with your project, the A10 scrambler is one of my favorite bikes.

Bill B...

Boomer
Shayne Brown #800524 03/09/20 8:01 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks for all of the help so far from everyone. Here's the quick update. I've collected the majority of the major components and they are now at various locations around the country and Canada being worked on. Oil tank and fender are in CA getting straightened out and bobbed. Rolling chassis and engine are here in TX being worked on. Gas tank has been repaired, sealed and chromed and is awaiting paint which leads me to my next question. My mother remembers the tank being a deep maroon color. Does anyone know the paint color for that or where I can find the code for something comparable? I've seen a few sources for paint colors but they are all for the flamboyant red color. Also, remember that I'm not trying to build a museum piece. I'm trying to recreate the bike my father had put together as closely as possible. Lastly, I'm having hell finding that front hub/wheel assembly. I find a ton of hubs/wheels on eBay and sometimes craigslist but the brake mechanism isn't the same. If anyone has one or knows where I can get one, please let me know. I'll post this same comment in my other thread as well. I hope to have some pictures of the tank soon that show the metalwork, the chrome and then the paint. Thank you again for all of your help. This has been a therapeutic project so far.

Shayne Brown #800624 03/10/20 12:34 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Whats wrong with the front wheel from the 99 % er,? its the same as the one in the pic of your dad, just needs the black paint removed from the brake plate.

It maybe the tank fitted to YDB was from one of the singles , they came in a Maroon colour, like this http://www.andybuysbikes.com/archivehtml/3706.htm

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod

Moderated by  Richrd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership