BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis
10937 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 101
franko 67
DavidP 61
quinten 60
Popular Topics(Views)
1,062,170 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,235
Posts684,698
Members10,937
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (Alan_nc), 672 guests, and 907 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
58-59 BSA Spitfire Scrambler Project #790908 11/22/19 11:12 am
S
Shayne Brown Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hello Everyone,

As some of you may have read in this thread,

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbt...identify-this-bike-components#Post787410

my father passed away a month or so ago and while looking for pictures for his memorial, I came across several pictures of him on his BSA Spitfire Scrambler. I thought it would be a fun project to recreate the bike in the picture as closely as possible. Partly as a little therapy, part memorial, and part nostalgia.

For reference in this thread, here is the bike I will be building:

[Linked Image from ]

Also from the previous thread I have compiled the following information about my father's bike:

A10S Spitfire Scrambler 1957 late model or maybe 1958-1959 frame.
Forks and Fork Boots and Upper Cover probably 59.
2 Gallon tank with stacked Rifles Badge
A10 Engine with Dynamo?
Lighting kit?
Rear fender Bobbed A10 with BSA side struts?
Sparto Tail light
Bates seat?
Bates front light?
BSA Western handlebars
Exhaust MCM or Superior
Tires Pirelli MT53
Full width front brake 8” used on 58 & 59?

So here are a few questions I have right off the bat as I tackle this beast.

1. Is there anyone here besides me that thinks the rear fender on my father's bike is actually the front fender? I've looked at probably 200 fenders and while some get close to that look, the only thing that seems to really make sense to me is that he took the fender off the front of the bike, modified it, put the Sparto light on it and dropped it over the rear wheel? Am I crazy or is that what it looks like?

2. Is eBay and this forum the best spot for parts? I would like to keep the bike as original as possible.

3. Can someone point me to the 59 fork like the one on my father's bike? I have a 58 frame and a "shunted" 59 front end was mentioned as maybe being on this bike. I have no idea what that is.

4. And lastly, the front light and bracket was said to be Bates but I'm having trouble locating a "lighting kit". I'm sure it's just not knowing exactly what I'm looking for at this point so anything at all helps.

And now for the fun part.

Thanks to @larrymondelo in San Diego, I was able to acquire the bones to build this 60 year old beast. She arrived on Wednesday and is definitely the epitome of a barn find. I won't even pretend to know where to start on the engine so if anyone knows a BSA engine expert in or around San Antonio, TX that can rebuild this engine/transmission, that would be awesome. It is a basket case, but 99% there. Here are some pics that @larrymondelo sent me before she was packed up and sent to Texas.

[Linked Image from dieselbarbershop.com]

I cannot thank everyone enough for all of their help with this. I will rely heavily on your advice as the experts and make this bike something my dad would look at and go "hey that's my bike....how in the hell did you find it?"

Now off to find a pressure washer. Gotta get this thing cleaned off to see what I'm really dealing with here.

Thanks everyone. - Shayne

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: 58-59 BSA Spitfire Scrambler Project [Re: Shayne Brown] #790914 11/22/19 11:55 am
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Hang fire on the pressure washer, you will push water into inner recesses and later reveal rust, water proofing was never good on these bikes. oily rags are much easier on the finish.

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO