BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Tasman
Tasman
Tasmania - Gateway to Antarctica
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis, Boggie
10936 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 61
quinten 56
Popular Topics(Views)
1,059,409 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,202
Posts684,601
Members10,936
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (Beach), 359 guests, and 819 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks #790437 11/18/19 12:08 pm
T
Tobias Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
Dear fellow bike enthousiasts,

I'm currently working on my 1964 lightning rocket, and I'm considering giving it more of a lightning clubman look.

Does anyone have experience with the reproduction pre-prainted LC tanks offered by British Bike Bits? Especially curious about the quality.

Any alternatives? I believe these tanks are getting pretty hard to come by..

Thanks!
Tobias

[Linked Image from britishbikebits.com]

Last edited by Tobias; 11/18/19 12:12 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #790439 11/18/19 12:59 pm
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
I converted a large single carb tank of unknown origin (Thunderbolt or A10?) to be able to connect to twin carbs. As you can see, I made mistakes in the placement of the fuel taps and had to change them because they were hitting the rocker box. Look closely the Burton offering and you can see the taps in two different locations which may be a problem. I made a hardwood "buck" or whatever it's called and formed the tunnels for the throttle cables out of tubing formed over the buck.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As for re-chroming, good luck! I had to have it done twice after the first time failed and the plater went out of business. Second time was not much better.

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 11/18/19 1:12 pm.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #790441 11/18/19 1:08 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
Those photos are helpful.
I now understand WHY those two channels are there to clear the carb cables.

Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #790447 11/18/19 2:19 pm
Spitfire Ken Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
YOU SHOULD ALSO BE AWARE THAT IF YOU USE 2 INTO ONE HEADER PIPES NON OF THE REPRODUCTIONS WILL CLEAR THE SPEEDOMETER (MAYBE IT'S THE TACHOMETER CABLE I'M NOT SURE) CABLES PROPERLY. YOU WILL NEED TO SHIELD IT FROM THE PIPE.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under rstoration)
2001 Kawasaki W650
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Spitfire Ken] #790567 11/19/19 1:29 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Spitfire Ken
YOU SHOULD ALSO BE AWARE THAT IF YOU USE 2 INTO ONE HEADER PIPES NON OF THE REPRODUCTIONS WILL CLEAR THE SPEEDOMETER (MAYBE IT'S THE TACHOMETER CABLE I'M NOT SURE) CABLES PROPERLY. YOU WILL NEED TO SHIELD IT FROM THE PIPE.

Your right Ken, its the Tacho it fails to clear properly and unless you have a really good quality tacho cable with shielding it will burn the cable outer.

Beautiful work Koncrete Kid!

Tobias, I haven't fitted one as I have an original, but from knowing of others that have, the quality of these reopro tanks is generally very good but most have needed lining.

beerchug
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #790769 11/21/19 1:23 pm
K
Ken Rowark Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Yes it is the Tacho cable that is very close to the exhaust pipe, JJ cables make a cable with a heat shield near the contact area that worked for me.
But l think Armours do a pipe where the left hand pipe joints the the right hand pipe lower giving much more clearance.

Was nice to see you in September Ken my friend, we will do it again ,

Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #790770 11/21/19 1:32 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
OK, IF you can trust Armours to make a pipe that actually FITS.

Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #790783 11/21/19 5:08 pm
K
Ken Rowark Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
I understand your comment very well, l have had issues with quite a few repo parts over the years, lm in the uk and it is easier to return some rubbish from suppliers.

Last edited by Ken Rowark; 11/21/19 5:14 pm.
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #790813 11/21/19 9:09 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
Back in American colonial days, British merchants often shipped inferior products to "the colonies" because they knew it was cost-prohibitive for people living over here to return it.
Then-colonel of Virginia's militia George Washington ordered a carriage from Britain that was of such inferior quality that it soon fell apart.

Armours appears to still market it's products overseas using the same philosophy. I have experienced that problem with Armours.

Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Ken Rowark] #791774 12/01/19 6:15 pm
Spitfire Ken Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Ken; I am really looking forward to it.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under rstoration)
2001 Kawasaki W650
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #791779 12/01/19 6:45 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Armours do it in UK too, accused my bike frame was wrong 😯

Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: kommando] #791788 12/01/19 8:17 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by kommando
Armours do it in UK too, accused my bike frame was wrong 😯

It’s a shame because the wall thickness of the steel and the chrome is usually really good with Armours, I just don’t get how they struggle to make a pipe that matches an original. It’s not that hard, especially if you have the proper bending equipment.

beerchug
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #791846 12/02/19 12:34 pm
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
There are a couple of problems
1) the original specification tube is no longer available
2) the pipes get bent in transit unless sent in a proper protective case

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #791848 12/02/19 1:05 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
When I made my Siamese (only a couple of years ago) I eventually found a seller (showing photos) who had thick pipe wall thickness, I took a chance but worked out fine, the bend of the pipes was substandard though, but they were twin down pipes and were going to get chopped so this didn’t matter too much. For the tight bend I sent my original left hand pipe to a pipe maker ( who was selling pipe for car exhaust on eBay) he bent one to the almost exact bend. But it did t take much modification. But it proves it can be done.

Me last career choice was exhaust fabricator so I appreciate that when bending pipe if you want a 15° bend you need to take the machine to about 18° because it will spring back a couple of degrees. But we had to make pipes and often have to follow the original makers bends so if you had the car or original pipe then this wasn’t all that difficult to do.

The armours pipes I used to have on my lightning weren’t a perfect fit from the get go. But was enough so I could use longer bolts, apply some tension to the pipe and after each decent ride out tighten the bolt a bit more. They eventually pulled into the right position. For the general quality of the pipe I’m happy to do that again.

I’m interested to know how restricted their OIF silencers are though, the pre oif were quite restrictive and knocked performance back somewhat.

Trevor, not sure how they would get bent in transit though, dented maybe but it takes a lot of effort to bend a pipe without cutting it or having pneumatic equipment.

beerchug
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #791850 12/02/19 2:01 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Trevor, how do they get 3" shorter in transit, that's how short the ill fitting Armours pipe was.

Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: kommando] #791870 12/02/19 6:53 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Trevor, how do they get 3" shorter in transit, that's how short the ill fitting Armours pipe was.

You can have the 5” that I had to cut off mine lol.

beerchug
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: kommando] #791917 12/03/19 8:48 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B

Maybe they got wet & shruk laughing
I have bought pipes from Overlander down in Vistoria and they were a perfect fit
A second set ordered for another bike were all over the place, nothing linned up.
Popped in the next year and he sorted them out for me gratis
Apparently the transpot company loads stuff on top & that causes them to deform.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #792091 Yesterday at 04:39 AM
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Originally Posted by Allan Gill
When I made my Siamese (only a couple of years ago) I eventually found a seller (showing photos) who had thick pipe wall thickness, I took a chance but worked out fine, the bend of the pipes was substandard though, but they were twin down pipes and were going to get chopped so this didn’t matter too much. For the tight bend I sent my original left hand pipe to a pipe maker ( who was selling pipe for car exhaust on eBay) he bent one to the almost exact bend. But it did t take much modification. But it proves it can be done.

Me last career choice was exhaust fabricator so I appreciate that when bending pipe if you want a 15° bend you need to take the machine to about 18° because it will spring back a couple of degrees. But we had to make pipes and often have to follow the original makers bends so if you had the car or original pipe then this wasn’t all that difficult to do.

The armours pipes I used to have on my lightning weren’t a perfect fit from the get go. But was enough so I could use longer bolts, apply some tension to the pipe and after each decent ride out tighten the bolt a bit more. They eventually pulled into the right position. For the general quality of the pipe I’m happy to do that again.

I’m interested to know how restricted their OIF silencers are though, the pre oif were quite restrictive and knocked performance back somewhat.

Trevor, not sure how they would get bent in transit though, dented maybe but it takes a lot of effort to bend a pipe without cutting it or having pneumatic equipment.

Spend some time in an overnight freight yard & watch them loading the loose freight & you would not ask those kinds of questions.
Particularly if the carrier is charging fixed pallet rates.
Have seen a forkie put a 2 ton concrete block on the blades than drop them on a stillage so they couldget the top on.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: Tobias] #792096 Yesterday at 07:37 AM
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I understand shat your saying Trevor but surely the packaging would get crumpled in the process....

I think it’s more a case of they are made on n automatic bending instrument with values programmed in, with the same bend values put in for stainless as mild steel, and one of the metals won’t spring one of the same amounts as the other.

beerchug
Re: Britbike lightning clubman repro tanks [Re: BSA_WM20] #792117 Yesterday at 08:06 PM
Boomer Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20

I

Spend some time in an overnight freight yard & watch them loading the loose freight & you would not ask those kinds of questions.
Particularly if the carrier is charging fixed pallet rates.
Have seen a forkie put a 2 ton concrete block on the blades than drop them on a stillage so they couldget the top on.
[/quote]

So that's how that bracket on my Gold Star pipe managed to be 2" off mark. And why I had to cut an inch of the header end to fit in the exhaust port to get that bracket within 2". Me thinks Trevor owns stock in Armours, haha.

Bill B...

Last edited by Boomer; Yesterday at 08:08 PM.

Boomer

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO