BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Satellite Beach, Florida 32937 USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis, Boggie
10936 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,059,300 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,199
Posts684,559
Members10,936
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (998John), 733 guests, and 922 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Original or cafe racer? #790339 11/17/19 3:21 pm
N
Norcoastal Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
I am building a cafe racer to sell not to keep.

I want to sell it to buy a bigger BSA.

I have a ‘68 Shooting Star with a metal tank. After I get it completed, I’m going to probably sell it and buy a different BSA.

If that’s my goal, am I better off modernizing it as a cafe racer with a cafe racer seat and bars and rearsets and things like that? Or would I get a better return if I bought an original seat and original bars and just sold it as what it is?

I’d hate to spend extra money on cafe racer stuff if I’d get more money if it’s original.

Thoughts?

1973 Norton Commando Project
2016 Ducati Xdiavel
1968 Ford GT40 Replica
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790341 11/17/19 3:42 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B44 cafe racers are rare, ready made parts are non existent is the first issue.

Lets be honest, its the wrong bike to be a cafe racer, its heritage is as a scrambler on the UK circuit where the factory bikes won 2 World Scramble Championships with Jeff Smith in the seat.

Its got a short wheelbase for nimbleness and an engine more easily tuned for grunt coming out of a sharp corner and handling gets light headed at speed, a Cafe racer is IMHO best based on a stable at high speedframe with an engine that can be tuned for more top end power hence the Triton.

Run with the tide not against it.

Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: kommando] #790344 11/17/19 3:58 pm
N
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
Originally Posted by kommando
B44 cafe racers are rare, ready made parts are non existent is the first issue.

Lets be honest, its the wrong bike to be a cafe racer, its heritage is as a scrambler on the UK circuit where the factory bikes won 2 World Scramble Championships with Jeff Smith in the seat.

Its got a short wheelbase for nimbleness and an engine more easily tuned for grunt coming out of a sharp corner and handling gets light headed at speed, a Cafe racer is IMHO best based on a stable at high speedframe with an engine that can be tuned for more top end power hence the Triton.

Run with the tide not against it.

As usual, you’re right again and I think I knew this all along.

I’ll keep it as original as I can and see if anyone is interested.

Thanks K

2016 Ducati Xdiavel
1968 Ford GT40 Replica
Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790371 11/17/19 7:07 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
A B-44SS with a EI & solid state reg./rect. Is a fun street bike in stock trim. Some modern dual sport tyres would add to the fun. NO on the café.

Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790374 11/17/19 8:02 pm
Allan Gill Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
No also to cafe, unless you were building it for yourself to keep.

Make it a sweet looking stock bike with sensible modifications and that’s the most you’ll get. Or part it out and you’ll get more for it in bits than in one lump.

beerchug
Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790377 11/17/19 8:29 pm
Steve Erickson Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Think I'll sorta disagree here. Your bike, after seeing your Garage Sale pre-ad, is a Triumph with a BSA engine... not a BSA roller, at least by some folks' definitions. As such, it can't be a "stock" bike, or original, or complete. There can only be a degree of correctness to it, it will be a Bitsa no matter how much dough you throw at it.

If you're going to make the bike complete, I actually think that you might be better off doing a Triumph cosmetic refurb and selling it as an upgraded TR25W, 441 powered. Parts would be cheaper, at least. TR44W... Twud Sleeper. Overall, more original, and upgraded significantly (though not too noticeably).

Not going to fetch a whole lot no matter whatever you do I'm afraid... may just be best to put in your engine and sell it as it is right now, let the next owner do it to his own satisfaction. There's enough there to give a buyer the general idea. I don't think you'd recover enough from continued investment to warrant this project unless you're doing it to enjoy the finished product... however it certainly could be a fun bike for someone's personal expression. This is what your ad suggests you'd like to do, probably the best route.

Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Steve Erickson] #790379 11/17/19 9:08 pm
N
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
Think I'll sorta disagree here. Your bike, after seeing your Garage Sale pre-ad, is a Triumph with a BSA engine... not a BSA roller, at least by some folks' definitions. As such, it can't be a "stock" bike, or original, or complete. There can only be a degree of correctness to it, it will be a Bitsa no matter how much dough you throw at it.

If you're going to make the bike complete, I actually think that you might be better off doing a Triumph cosmetic refurb and selling it as an upgraded TR25W, 441 powered. Parts would be cheaper, at least. TR44W... Twud Sleeper. Overall, more original, and upgraded significantly (though not too noticeably).

Not going to fetch a whole lot no matter whatever you do I'm afraid... may just be best to put in your engine and sell it as it is right now, let the next owner do it to his own satisfaction. There's enough there to give a buyer the general idea. I don't think you'd recover enough from continued investment to warrant this project unless you're doing it to enjoy the finished product... however it certainly could be a fun bike for someone's personal expression. This is what your ad suggests you'd like to do, probably the best route.

I appreciate your thoughts and you’re not wrong. What do you think it’s worth as it sits?

Last edited by Norcoastal; 11/17/19 9:09 pm.

2016 Ducati Xdiavel
1968 Ford GT40 Replica
Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790380 11/17/19 9:09 pm
N
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
I actually have the original tank too.

I edited my listing.

Last edited by Norcoastal; 11/17/19 9:15 pm.

2016 Ducati Xdiavel
1968 Ford GT40 Replica
Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790383 11/17/19 9:43 pm
Steve Erickson Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I don't know where you are as far as completing your engine, but if you can actually get it running (not riding, just running and shifting on the bench) I'd guess you could easily get twice what you could get for it today.

I really hate to even guess at worth right now, depends on so much... location, time of year, phase of moon... but with an incomplete engine in rebuilding stage, any realistic number I shot out probably wouldn't make you too happy. That engine is where a lot of your (potential) value lies.

Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Steve Erickson] #790384 11/17/19 9:50 pm
N
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N

Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
I don't know where you are as far as completing your engine, but if you can actually get it running (not riding, just running and shifting on the bench) I'd guess you could easily get twice what you could get for it today.

I really hate to even guess at worth right now, depends on so much... location, time of year, phase of moon... but with an incomplete engine in rebuilding stage, any realistic number I shot out probably wouldn't make you too happy. That engine is where a lot of your (potential) value lies.

I’m just afraid to put any more money into it. It seems as if I do, I’m just throwing it away.

I’ve listed it for $950, but I guess I’d take whatever for it to stop putting money into it.

Take a guess at what it’s wort honestly, I won’t be insulted. $750? $650? $550?

Last edited by Norcoastal; 11/17/19 9:51 pm.

2016 Ducati Xdiavel
1968 Ford GT40 Replica
Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790386 11/17/19 9:58 pm
N
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
I’m going to change it to $750

2016 Ducati Xdiavel
1968 Ford GT40 Replica
Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790387 11/17/19 9:59 pm
Steve Erickson Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Sending PM.

Re: Original or cafe racer? [Re: Norcoastal] #790405 11/18/19 1:43 am
N
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
Changed my listing to basically a lot of all my stuff

2016 Ducati Xdiavel
1968 Ford GT40 Replica

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO