BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
57nortonmodel77
57nortonmodel77
Concord Township, Ohio
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Steering Head Race Spacing
#790159 11/15/19 7:18 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Upon re-assembling my 70 TR6C forks I noticed a 1/8 in. gap between the fork shroud and the upper lug. Thinking that I had not fully seated the steering head races I tore the beast down, polished the race recesses and re-installed. Still a 1/8 in. gap. There is no specification in the manual for the correct spacing, just drive them in to a "tight interference fit". I dug through every photograph I could find of '69 or '70 vintage TR6C, T120R and found many with gaps like mine and several with what appeared to be a spacer to close the gap. Before I tear down again I thought I would ask this group if they have encountered a similar issue. I can't see where it would hurt handling, though it does very slightly change front steering geometry. I hate to keep beating the races out to fix a cosmetic problem that may not be fixable.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Steering Head Race Spacing
TrophyGuy #790161 11/15/19 7:38 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Its about normal. Some people add an O ring to fill the gap.

Rod

New, Genuine Lucas Motorcycle parts!

Insist on something else.
TrophyGuy #790169 11/15/19 9:12 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Maybe an automotive engine freeze plug of a size to fit OVER the top headlight mount shroud, but bored open inside to clear the top of the fork tube, will close the gap.
Many of those freeze plugs are about 1/8 inch in thickness.

Painted the color of the headlight shroud, it would hardly be noticeable.

TrophyGuy #790421 11/18/19 5:11 am
Parts Dealer
Parts Dealer
Very normal

Some will have a smaller gap

The nature of handmade parts!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
TrophyGuy #790438 11/18/19 12:18 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I am guessing you are using taper roller bearings??? If so this gap is normal. the taper bearings are a little thicker. We just install an oring in the top of the headlight ear to fill the gap.

JakeH #790456 11/18/19 6:30 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by JakeH
I am guessing you are using taper roller bearings??? If so this gap is normal. the taper bearings are a little thicker. We just install an oring in the top of the headlight ear to fill the gap.

Using the old fashioned ball bearings. I did replace the races and balls. The replacements are dimensionally identical. I felt guilty after beating the races out, and wanted to renew them. Overly cautious as I thought powdere coating had fouled the head tube recess. Those races are brutal to beat into an interference fit, way tighter than necessary to stay in place. These are big bearing races for the load compared to the wheel bearings, so I could see no advantage to tapered roller bearings. IMHO simple ball bearings have better line contact angles, and better load reaction geometry (axial and radial) than tapered rollers in this application. I am going to use O-rings to cosmetically seal the gap, a clever trick. Thanks to all for the suggestion.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership