BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
AML
AML
NYC & Upstate NY
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build
Magnetoman #789467 11/07/19 11:49 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Trailer is looking good, MMan.
However stainless steel on the bench top seems to me to be a bit over the top.
After all most of the work on a bike should be done in the workshop--not while on the road.

You mention the Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham UK.
You are correct in that at any time about 350 bikes are on display.
However it is also worth noting that they rotate the displays using 350 of the over 1000 bikes they have.
And all the bikes are Brit bikes.
A really fantastic place if any one reading this has the opportunity to visit.

I have been away out of the country for the last week or so and am just playing catch up.
In terms of the vice location I think I would have placed it at the front middle of the right hand section of the bench.
IME frequently you need to hold in a vice something which is quite long and the present position seems to me to be possibly a bit cramped in that context.
Just my two cents worth of course.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Magnetoman #789482 11/08/19 7:45 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Since the subject of motorcycle museums has been brought up I thought it worth mentioning Brooklands Museum which luckily for me is just a few miles up the road.

Compared to Barber, Brooklands is tiny, however they do have over 40 motorcycles, 50 classic cars, over 40 vintage aircraft, over 20 engines and over 10 weapons & missiles (Tallboy, Grandslam and the bouncing bomb). Only a small section of the original banked track still exists so no racing anymore, however there is still a hill climb section in regular use.

Well worth a visit if your'e ever in the area, see This Link for info.

Next door to Brooklands is Mercedes Benz world which has its own track for driving experiences including an off road area. Inside they have a cinema, driving simulators, an AMG performance area and other attractions. See This Link

Last edited by gunner; 11/08/19 8:23 am.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Magnetoman #789503 11/08/19 3:38 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

For fans of Lotus racing cars, the Barber has an amazing and comprehensive collection, including several F1 cars, but also replicas of the very first two cars Colin Chapman built, for mud-plugging in England. After those two, they are all original. I don't know if car trials is even a sport any more, but it was popular in Britain and Ireland when I was growing up. And although I preferred two-wheel trials, it was great fun to go to a mud-plug and watch these light, nimble cars being flung up muddy banks with the passengers gymnastically adding ballast where and when it was needed.

As MMan says, the workshops are fantastic, and OR clean. For their workbenches, they line up their tool chests, add plywood to cover the tops, and then cover the lot with stainless steel sheets that have been bent to shape using the extensive sheet metal brakes in their workshops. And more pneumatic lifts than you can imagine. Each work station is fed power and air from overhead, via a solid conduit.

The race track and grounds are beautifully landscaped, with extensive plantings of native trees and shrubs. In a hidden corner of the grounds we were brought t a touching tribute to our old friend, Nobby Clark. The great race mechanic asked that his ashes be spread in that spot, and they were.

Fun to walk through an exhibition of bikes, then to look out the window and see a succession of Porsches racing around the track below.

Sorry for the hijack, but MMan started it. Back to trailers..

NYBSAGUY #789512 11/08/19 5:13 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
Back to trailers..
Originally Posted by Tridentman
However stainless steel on the bench top seems to me to be a bit over the top.
That's the only thing about this trailer than seems over the top?...

In the end the cutting, shaping, bending of the stainless to cover an L-shaped surface may stop me from pursuing this feature.

Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham UK. ... rotate the displays using 350 of the over 1000 bikes they have.
I didn't mean what I wrote to denigrate that museum at all because it's certainly well worth the visit. But the collection they have on display at any one time is enough to cause brain fade by the end of a visit, and the Barber Museum has ~5x more. Keep that in mind when planning a visit.

In terms of the vice location I think I would have placed it at the front middle of the right hand section of the bench.
IME frequently you need to hold in a vice something which is quite long and the present position seems to me to be possibly a bit cramped in that context.
You make a good point, but the layout inevitably has to be a compromise. Typically, in the garage I find I use my two vises less than I use the flat surface of the workbench, and even then typically I use the vises for holding smaller pieces of motorcycles. I do use them to hold large pieces of metal to cut for making brackets or whatever, forks legs for disassembly, frame components for Magnafluxing, etc. but, as TM said, most work on a bike needs to have been done in the garage, not the trailer.

Trying to imagine what work is likely to be done in the trailer to keep a bike on the road until returning to home base, and remembering what work I saw others doing in their trailers on the Cannonball, I decided it would be better to have as much free area as possible at the expense of exiling the vise to less wide-open territory. However, the "recess" in the L-shaped workbench is wide enough for me to stand directly in front of the vise (although, with not much extra side-to-side room) where I plan to install it, will swing through 360° and could, say, hold a fork leg vertical or horizontal, so I think (hope) it will be fine in that position. Anyway, I hope I'm not later proven wrong, but that's why I decided to put it there.

George Kaplan #789516 11/08/19 5:48 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
In the end the cutting, shaping, bending of the stainless to cover an L-shaped surface may stop me from pursuing this feature.

If the ability to work the SS sheet ends up being the limiting factor then fair enough but I will refer back to page 7 of this thread when I stated that my personal choice would be metal for the top, either solid or sheet over a ply base. Now that you have seen the Barber benches then don't rule it out too soon. Near to me there are numerous companies who, for a small fee, will cut and bend sheet metal so there must be someone near to you who can do it for you. A large press brake would be best due to the work hardening properties of SS.

As for the vice position (or the position of anything in your trailer) workshop (or mobile workshop) layouts are a very personal thing and what works for one person doesn't for the next. Go with what you think is best for you. If it turns out that it needs to change after a couple of outings then change it later.

John

George Kaplan #789521 11/08/19 6:57 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
my personal choice would be metal for the top, either solid or sheet over a ply base.
I'm afraid I can't un-see the metal-topped Barber work benches so, unfortunately, this gives me no choice but to upgrade the main one in the garage. However, the "coma and astigmatism" of the curved front of the trailer is more of a problem than the L-shape for making a metal top that fits.

Although I still have the cardboard template that I used to make the plywood top, I have to balance the time and cost of getting a shop to custom fabricate a metal top to that shape against the reality that this workbench won't see much use over its lifetime. Although the paint on my workbench in the garage doesn't look new anymore, it's still quite acceptable after more than six years of having heavy parts dragged across it, chemicals spilled on it, hammers hit it, etc. Sometimes 'good enough' is better than insisting on 'excellent', and I'm leaning toward accepting paint as 'good enough' for the trailer workbench.

For what it's worth, anything that turns out to be wrong about this trailer won't be because I didn't give it enough thought. It will be because my thoughts were faulty. I took photographs and made detailed notes on the Cannonball and then continued to think about it for the subsequent year. Then, once I bought the trailer, I created Photoshop model that I manipulated multiple times before committing to any given feature. Further, this thread prompted several new ideas from others that I implemented. As a result, if this isn't the most overthought 6'x12' motorcycle hauling/support trailer in existence it certainly must be in the top ten.

Magnetoman #789522 11/08/19 7:04 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I vote against SS work tops, difficult to work, seldom flat,slidy, rattly and gives a nasty infected cut. Wood is good.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Magnetoman #789584 11/09/19 1:30 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Here's another small consideration regarding the metal bench (trailer) top..... weight.

As it is, the frame is over built (I approve) for the job and we (actually he (MM)) should be thinking about every oz/lb of infrastructure taking away from carrying capacity.

I'd do plywood with a replaceable hardboard top.

I went the lazy way in mine as I had a spare Craftsman work bench/cabinet that just fits in that space. All I need to do is bolt it to the floor and I'm done.

TG

'68 B25 Starfire (single)
'72 A65 Thunderbolt (twin (I'm sensing a pattern here..))
'78 XS750 Triple (Because I just can't get my hands on
a Rocket Three...)
'87 K100GS (four banger (Because NVT gave up too quick..)
Magnetoman #789594 11/09/19 3:16 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by tg4360
thinking about every oz/lb of infrastructure taking away from carrying capacity.
That's a good point. When I'm finished I'll find a public weigh station to determine the actual weight of the modified trailer to know for sure what it can carry. However, my estimate shows that along with everything else (tools, oil, etc.) a Trident (~480 lbs) and a Bonneville (~420 lbs) would be OK but, even if they fit through the door, a pair of H-D Road Glide Ultras (905 lbs. ea.) would be well over the limit.

Originally Posted by gavin eisler
I vote against SS work tops,...
There's no danger of it happening anytime soon so there is plenty of time for me to reconsider. NYBSAGUY and I are up to our eyeballs with a project that took us to the Barber Museum a few days ago and for which we've already booked another trip and within a week have to book yet another one that will take place sooner than the one we've booked. Sigh... Anyway, there isn't an imminent threat to the garage workshop benchtop paint.

I spent some time yesterday afternoon on trailer security. As I mentioned previously, because this is an open forum I won't discuss any specifics. However, I hope it isn't giving too much away to say my plan will result in its security being somewhere between a child's bicycle cable (cut with wire cutters) and Fort Knox (never been breached).

Magnetoman #789601 11/09/19 4:46 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
............a pair of H-D Road Glide Ultras (905 lbs. ea.) would be well over the limit.

You must be so disappointed!

....................Fort Knox (never been breached).

But how can you be so sure?

Fox Mulder John

Magnetoman #789701 11/10/19 3:08 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
You must be so disappointed!
What's even more disappointing than realizing I won't be able to haul two Road Glide Ultras is last night a friend posted on Instagram a photo of their neighbor John Ethel's (Jett Tuning) trailer, and his is bigger than mine. Oh the shame of it.

I didn't spend much time working on my own trailer yesterday, but all of it was on security. Plus, a trip to the hardware store to pick up paint for the workbench top and shelf, along with a few odds and ends.

Magnetoman #789872 11/11/19 11:28 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
I finished with security and the 3rd coat of glossy white paint is drying on the benchtop and shelf now. As soon as I put them back in the trailer and mount the vise that will complete Phase 3.

I finally remembered to call the insurance company that handles our house and vehicles when it was working hours. In case anyone is interested, basically a premium of ~$44/year will cover the replacement value of the trailer plus all the modifications I did to it. Collision damage has a $500 deductible but fire and theft are at full value. Although the insurance includes the toolbox, because it's bolted to the trailer, any tools that are destroyed or stolen would be covered by my homeowner's policy because they're considered personal property and that's how it's handled. Unfortunately, the deductible on that is large enough that any tools in the trailer basically won't be insured.

So far I remain very happy with the rubber floor covering. Dropped tools hit with a pleasant 'thud' rather than the jarring 'crack' if instead they hit paint, and the texture keeps round things from rolling too far. Since I still have the template I used to cut the plywood workbench top I'm going to use that to cut the remaining rubber mat to cover the top. If I later decide I don't like it, it will be easy enough to remove.

Magnetoman #790002 11/14/19 1:24 am
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Phase 3 is now completed.

A 1'x2', 3000 lumen, 12V 3.4A LED panel is due on Friday and I'll see then how many lux it throws on the surface of the workbench when mounted in the ceiling (I won't mount it yet, just measure its output at the appropriate distance). That will tell me how many such panels, and how many amps, will be required to give my desired shadow-free-ish 1000 lux across the entire workbench.

Other than the overhead lights, the remaining work on the trailer will be invisible. So, how did I configure this trailer? The photograph shows it in "parked" mode, i.e. how it would look with the bikes outside it and the inside set up to do work.

[Linked Image]

Starting with the floor, there's a textured rubber covering on which are bolted three 8 ft. E-tracks. At the front of the tracks are four 2x4 brackets to which I added shims so they can't tilt when forward pressure is applied, and into which 2x4 sections are dropped. When the bikes are out of the trailer the brackets and 2x4s can be easily removed and slipped out of the way to leave the entire floor surface free.

Proceeding clockwise from the left door, there are two sections of E-track and a fire extinguisher in a quick-release bracket. The left wall has 8 ft. E-tracks at low and middle height and three short sections near the top. There's a paper towel dispenser for easy reach by anyone working at the rear of the trailer and two folding 4 ft. shelves, one shown in the 'down' position and the other shown with a milk crate strapped to it, as would be the case when underway when the equivalent of four such crates could be on these shelves. The wastebasket is sized to accept disposable kitchen liners to make it easy to empty on the way into a motel at night.

Next is the toolbox that's bolted to the wall. All of the drawers are labeled in 14-pt font for legibility, and some will contain tools and others will contain supplies and spares. Not in this picture, but added shortly thereafter, is a fairly comprehensive first aid kit mounted on the wall above the toolbox, and a clipboard for making notes mounted next to the side door.

A 5" vise is bolted to the workbench and can be swung through 360°. In addition, the design of the vise allows the clamping mechanism itself to be rotated through 360°. The jaws are bolted to the vise; I'll remove the steel teeth and replace them with brass. The shelf currently holds remaining construction clutter, but is tall and wide enough to hold two containers. The milk carton under the right side of the workbench shows that the equivalent of two such containers can easily fit there, and two more could be stacked under the left side of the workbench. E-tracks on the walls allow all the containers to be strapped in place for transit. E-track sections above the workbench allow anything that needs to be left on the surface to be strapped in place for transit. On the wall to the right of the workbench is a second paper towel dispenser.

As can be seen, there is ample room over the workbench for a shelf or even a cabinet. However, I think I already have more than adequate storage space in the 10 plastic bins that fit on the folding shelves and under the workbench so the front wall will remain blank for now. Although I said Phase 3 is complete, I'll be adding a small fire extinguisher to the wall over the workbench.

An E-track is high on the side door where it can be used to hang clothes, store extra E-track brackets, or whatever. Currently, the eight anchor brackets for tie-downs at the front and rear of two bikes are stored there.

The right wall has the same E-track configuration as the left, except the lower two sections are only 6 ft. long because of the door. Tie downs are shown hanging from a bracket in one of the upper short sections of E-track, not easy to see are soft-ties are hanging from another bracket, and the small white container holds bungee cords. The table folds flat against the wall when it isn't needed.

The right rear door has the same sections of E-track as the left door, and shown hanging on it is an extension cord and a wire basket holding four ratchet tie-down straps and two cinch straps (this basket is from Lowes and has hooks for hanging on a cabinet door, but it clips nicely in place after only slightly spreading the hangers to match the E-track spacing) .

Of course, anything in any of the E-tracks (table, tie-down straps, etc.) can be repositioned if desired, which is the beauty of having E-tracks.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 11/14/19 7:06 pm. Reason: first aid kit and clipboard
Magnetoman #790003 11/14/19 1:57 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Now, something like this for those times you are doing detail work at the bench....

Folding Stool

It'll hang on the wall during transport ops.

a Rocket Three...)
Magnetoman #790004 11/14/19 1:57 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
will be required to give my desired shadow-free-ish 1000 lux across the entire workbench. 

put the mood lighting where it looks cool .

put specific task lighting ... where its illuminates the task .

...i dont see an espresso machine ?

quinten #790006 11/14/19 2:36 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
will be required to give my desired shadow-free-ish 1000 lux across the entire workbench. 

put the mood lighting where it looks cool .

put specific task lighting ... where its illuminates the task .

...i dont see an espresso machine ?
Or a disco ball?

1967 T120R
1970 T120R
1970 Commando
Magnetoman #790007 11/14/19 2:49 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

A small fridge is essential.

What about nitrile glove box holders? You need two; one at the front, near the workbench. One at the rear.

Magnetoman #790009 11/14/19 3:43 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I carry in my trailer a small four wheeled jack and an axle stand for ease of changing a trailer wheel in case of a puncture.
In my configuration I store these on the shelf at the front of the trailer.
I guess, MMan, that in your configuration they would be stored in one of the milk crates.
BTW--I find milk crates are great for storage---not just in the trailer but also in the workshop.
IMHO--no need for a fridge--just carry some bottles of water.
When you get to fitting the electric brakes it is normal to carry the breakaway battery in the trailer interior--housed in a small plastic box.
I guess this can go under the bench on the floor at the extreme LHS?

Magnetoman #790011 11/14/19 4:07 am
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
i dont see an espresso machine ?
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen
Or a disco ball?
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
A small fridge is essential.

[Linked Image]

Now, something like this for those times you are doing detail work at the bench....
That looks great. Thanks for the link. Tomorrow I'll check the heights against the workbench to make sure it's a good fit.
I carry in my trailer a small four wheeled jack and an axle stand for ease of changing a trailer wheel in case of a puncture.
I carry that jack in the truck's toolbox. The stands that are currently stabilizing the rear of the trailer will be along for the ride
the breakaway battery in the trailer interior
I have a plan for that, when Phase 4 gets underway.

Magnetoman #790012 11/14/19 4:14 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Touché

1967 T120R
1970 T120R
1970 Commando
Magnetoman #790036 11/14/19 1:49 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

That looks great. Thanks for the link. Tomorrow I'll check the heights against the workbench to make sure it's a good fit.

Call me crazy, but I always find that when doing detail work (in other words poking the idle jet on an AMAL carb etc.) I find it easier to sit. I suspect there's a physiological reason for it...

Along these lines, I have a few collapsible fabric chairs for bench racing and draining of ETOH containers.....

a Rocket Three...)
Magnetoman #790037 11/14/19 2:01 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
MMan---Thank you for your kind invitation to attend the Magnetoman Inaugural Trailer Disco Ball on Wednesday 1st April 2020 which I am happy to accept.
I just hope that I will not feel inferior with my 2 5/16" equipment.

Tridentman #790038 11/14/19 2:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
MMan---Thank you for your kind invitation to attend the Magnetoman Inaugural Trailer Disco Ball on Wednesday 1st April 2020 which I am happy to accept.
I just hope that I will not feel inferior with my 2 5/16" equipment.

Less is more.

- Mies Van Der Rohe

1967 T120R
1970 T120R
1970 Commando
Tridentman #790043 11/14/19 3:02 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Online Content
Britbike forum member
I have a few collapsible fabric chairs for bench racing and draining of ETOH containers.....
Basically, all that I've shown are "permanent" modifications to the trailer. I have a long list of "temporary" items that either might stay in the trailer most of the time or be added for any given trip (chairs, gasoline containers, tools, etc.). I'll post this list when the thread is nearly complete.

MMan---Thank you for your kind invitation to attend the Magnetoman Inaugural Trailer Disco Ball...

[Linked Image]

Magnetoman #790044 11/14/19 3:13 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[quote=tg4360]

[Linked Image]

Ah, the pant legs look right, but where is the grease under the fingernails?

.. Gregg

Spyder Integrated Technologies
Lucas, BTH, & Miller Magneto & Dynamo Restoration
SMITHS Chronometric Restoration
[email protected]
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  Richrd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership