She started as a mostly complete non runner. Missing some bits, that I didn't think would be hard to find. Engine needed a full rebuild, but I ultimately decided to tear into it myself. Kinda rare machine. been a fun little project. Heres the "before"
I bought a triumph front fender the same width and the broncs rear, to replace the last 9" that someone had cut off in its well used past. I had a buddy at a paint shop help with the backyard painting duties....and the metal came out pretty good. Its only a rear fender, stays and tank that is painted. Everything else was either blasted and painted black or powder coated black. The seat cover its a two tone grey. Not available. So I asked an eBay vendor that sells reg bantam seats if he'd make one up for me in two tone grey....the anwer was SURE! same price! Not may parts suppliers here in the US, so I had to get the new muffler can, piston and some assorted hardware from the UK. Ignition is going to be an Electrex unit (no lighting) and a Mikuni VM22. I keep the monoblock in the box. Its was pretty well roached anyway.......
a few other picts. Interesting note on the Jone WM1 front rim "Not exceeding 250cc" engraved on the rim. I've never seen that note before. But then again, I've never had a small displacement bike with a Jones rim........
Fitted an Electrex ignition (no lighting), Mikuni VM22 (keeping the monoblock in the box). Into cable fitting phase. Throttle done. awaiting fittings for the clutch and front brake cables. I was able to cut down a triumph front fender and weld it to the remains of the stock fender. Came out pretty nice, No chance of ever getting a good original, so a repaired one will have to do. Engine got a .040 bore / new piston, new clutch plates, new primary chain, all new seals of course. Header pipe is original, muffler a D1 as fitted on prototypes. I have the original Trail Bronc fishtail...that may or may not go on. Awaiting a 1/2 x 3/16 proper bantam chain from Jason the Chain Man in UK. No real good options here. roller size bigger than standard 420 chain....so that's out when keeping original sprockets.
I'm sure I'll sell it when done.....they all go that route.
If you have a strobe light, use it to make a note of where the igntion advance is going, there shouldn't be one as you know, I've only fitted one and the ignition retarded, completely discoloured a freshly chromed front pipe and ran like a bag of spanners. I have seen reports on Facebook from someone with a villiers reporting the same thing.
Very nice work. Great "before and after" pictures!
Thanks Ray. these little oddball don't get no love from the "big bike" brit boys here.... lol I wish there were more bantams or similar machines around here as there are in the UK. Its would be a heck of alot less expensive for someone just getting into vintage bikes.