BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Grin
Grin
Fife,Scotland, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Richard77, Jon law, Honey Badger, puffinpower, Mr.Paul
10905 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 102
quinten 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,180 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,044
Posts682,911
Members10,905
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (Alan_nc), 356 guests, and 782 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Chip off the Old Block #789284 11/05/19 9:58 pm
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
My 4 and 1/2 year old grandson was visiting this weekend. He is pretty independent, but still needs some help with some things. At one point he said to my wife, "Didi, I have to poop." She gets him set up on the toilet and starts to leave and he says "Didi, I need one of Grampy's motorcycle magazines to read while I am pooping." I was so proud.

Ed from NJ

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789293 11/05/19 11:48 pm
tg4360 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Start 'em early!!!

I very much enjoy the few times I've been riding and have had a car pass slowly and there's a small child in the back looking at me.

I'll slowly give them the thumbs up and when I see their eyes brighten I hope that I've planted a seed.

We do a "Riders for Readers" thing here in Central Virginia where we ride to schools and talk up reading to the kids and pass out books.

At one point in the program we let them sit on the bikes and it's fun to tell them that they could have one some day.

TG

'68 B25 Starfire (single)
'72 A65 Thunderbolt (twin (I'm sensing a pattern here..))
'78 XS750 Triple (Because I just can't get my hands on
a Rocket Three...)
'87 K100GS (four banger (Because NVT gave up too quick..)
Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789310 11/06/19 1:39 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
One of the good habits I hope I'm picking up from friends I ride with is from a guy right here on my road that occasionally calls and asks if I'd like to go for ride.

He's a good rider, on the edge of too fast for me but I speed up a little and he slows down a little and we stay together, always ATGATT in a bright yellow 'Stich ....

and he waves to almost everyone. Folks walking, folks sitting on their front porch, other bikes, cars that are waiting for us to go by to make a turn. Might sound like overkill, but he gets a lot of smiles and waves back. A good antidote to the skull masks, get-back whips, and "what do you want damn you" looks that non-riding people get from a lot of uniformed outlaw Vtwin cruisers and baggers.

I've gotten into the habit of always giving a nod and a wave to someone waiting to pull out or across in front of me as I go by, as a "Thanks For Noticing Me!"

Lannis

I'll believe that it's a crisis when the people who tell me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis ...
Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789419 11/07/19 1:15 pm
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I rode my bike to pick up my 9-year-old at his nearby elementary school yesterday, parked in the row with moms in their SUVs, and 75% of the kids that passed by said "I like your motorcycle", "cool motorcycle", or "green is my favorite color". Alex was slowly walking toward the area where I usually park, then when he spotted the bike he blasted into a full run!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789440 11/07/19 5:42 pm
Don Leaming Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
We have a Daughter and two grand daughters who live relatively nearby. One grandkid is a princess, she is 11 and the younger one is 9 and plays hockey. When they unload in the driveway the younger one usually asks if she can see the motorcycles. Then climbs aboard one of them and goes Vroom!Vroom!
The older one likes to go inside and help grandma make cookies.

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789469 11/08/19 12:01 am
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by edunham
My 4 and 1/2 year old grandson was visiting this weekend. He is pretty independent, but still needs some help with some things. At one point he said to my wife, "Didi, I have to poop." She gets him set up on the toilet and starts to leave and he says "Didi, I need one of Grampy's motorcycle magazines to read while I am pooping." I was so proud.

Ed from NJ

Life's little moments, eh, Ed? beerchug
Beforeyou know it, he'll be slugging whisky and puffing on a cigar.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/08/19 12:02 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789508 11/08/19 4:42 pm
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Thats a great story to tell him in about 20 years.... I just told my 11 year old grand daughter a story ... I have my great grandmother's chest where she kept her quilts and there is still one in it. I was showing my brother and we both said that it still smells like grandma.... Kaya (about 5 years old at the time ) asked if grandma was still in there..... At 11 she thought that was the funniest thing... We did too at the time...

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789526 11/08/19 7:57 pm
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
An interesting gender side note. When I tell this story to guys, they all focus on the young lad getting interested in motorcycles, When I tell it to females, the reaction is more on the"typical male -needs a library in the bathroom!" On the whole, women seem to be speedshitters more than men.

Ed from NJ

Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789546 11/09/19 12:25 am
F
Frank the Welder Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
I rent space in an old mill building in Vermont (states), one of our tenants brought his grandson (age 6/7) as a helper today who asked me "what are you doing", my reply was that I was fixing an old motorcycle and the kid said "motorcycles are cool!" That made my day!

Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789575 11/09/19 10:53 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
My better 1/2 was doing some relief teaching at an upper crust girls school.
We lived 2 doors away from a pub ( bar to some ) at that time .
As it would happen, it rained heavy Sunday night so Monday morning her car was gone.
I was working the night shift ( 11pm -7am ) & rode home to find her in a right state, so I changed out of my grubby coveralls while she repacked her bags , I tossed her on the back of the B40 & we did a 35 mile run that would do a GP racer proud .
I managed to get her right across town just before the first period bell sounded.( 8:30 am ).
The kids sat in silence that morning cause "Mam's husband is a bikie!"
She thought she was good to go but the head called her in, wanting an explanation as "Young ladies of breeding & distinction do not arrive at school on the back of a motorcycle like a common tart"
She explained what had happened and that without transport she could not continue.
The head then produced a book of 50 cabcharge vouchers ( an old taxi credit scheme ) for her to use till she could organise a new car.

Decades latter we were doing a static display and the said same B40 was on the stand.
A small group of 20+ year old young ladies asked about the bike & if I knew Miss Baggs.
When I explained that I was Miss Baggs husband & yes this was the same bike she came to school on the back on the women were estatic.
That one event , on one day in a primay school girl's life was enough to convince them that they too could ride a motor bike and in fact they did.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789585 11/09/19 1:43 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
In answer to Don Leaming:

One of my motorcycle friends has three daughters, the two oldest (12 and 7) are riding a small motorcycle in his back yard. The older one (a real beauty) is a rather good rider, but her younger sister
is ABSOLUTELY FEARLESS on a cycle. She's a real tomboy, comes by it naturally enough, as her mother played woman's hockey.

That younger girl once jumped a hill and upon landing the bike went one way and she went the other. Did she cry? HELL NO!
She ran over to the bike, yanked it back up, kick-started it and took off again!

The youngest girl, now about 5 years old, is already pestering Dad for HER turn to ride!

Re: Chip off the Old Block [Re: edunham] #789597 11/09/19 3:59 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by edunham
An interesting gender side note. When I tell this story to guys, they all focus on the young lad getting interested in motorcycles, When I tell it to females, the reaction is more on the"typical male -needs a library in the bathroom!" On the whole, women seem to be speedshitters more than men.

Ed from NJ

When my wife questioned me about the magazine collection in the can I told her it's the only place besides my garage I can get enough peace and quite to read. She failed to see the humor in that.. confused

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership