BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
eightangrybears
eightangrybears
New Hampshire, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Digital Expressions, johnjorgensen, Ray Byrne, Heff, kerna
10915 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 77
quinten 65
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,963 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,068
Posts683,226
Members10,915
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Beach), 345 guests, and 939 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
4 volt coils for Trident #789436 11/07/19 5:00 pm
Curmudgeon Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Has anyone had any experience using 4 volt coils on their Trident? A friend installed them on his '74 T150 which he has upgraded with an electric starter and he says the bike has no power. He says that the electric start circuit is somehow interfering with the 4 volt coils. He installed a set of 6 volt coils and they worked fine. The bike has a Trispark electronic ignition. Any thoughts?

reliccycles.com
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 4 volt coils for Trident [Re: Curmudgeon] #789439 11/07/19 5:19 pm
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Has anyone had any experience using 4 volt coils on their Trident? A friend installed them on his '74 T150 which he has upgraded with an electric starter and he says the bike has no power. He says that the electric start circuit is somehow interfering with the 4 volt coils. He installed a set of 6 volt coils and they worked fine. The bike has a Trispark electronic ignition. Any thoughts?

Which Tri-Spark?

Black box or Classic Triple?

However, neither is intended to be used with 4V coils.

https://www.trispark.com.au/black-box-triple-ignition
"Required accessories if using 6-volt coils
Ballast resistor (required when using 6-volt coils);

Recommended accessories
12V Tri-Spark high performance coils - 3 required (no ballast resistor required – cleaner installation); IGC-1012"

https://tri-spark.neto.com.au/assets/files/TRI-0001%20manual%20V3.pdf
"Installation for 6 volt coils
The installation with 6 volt coils is slightly different than for 12 volt coils. You will need to install a ballast resistor as shown in the wiring diagrams. The ballast resistor can be the same type as used on a T160 or equivalent automotive type so long as it is 1.6Ohms. We can supply a ballast resistor ordered separately."

https://www.trispark.com.au/Classic-Triple-for-Trident-and-Rocket-3
"Compatible with cylindrical 12 volt coils (6 volt coils if a ballast resistor is fitted)."

https://tri-spark.neto.com.au/assets/files/Classic%20Triple%20V2.pdf
"Ignition coil compatibility:
Tri-Spark IGC-1012 (12 volt) coils are recommended 3.5 Ohm Primary resistance Note: 6 volt coils (typ. 1.8 ohm primary) may be used with a ballast resistor(1.6 Ohm). 4 volt coils are not recommended. Use of other than the recommended coils will damage the stator unit."

Last edited by L.A.B.; 11/07/19 5:33 pm.
Re: 4 volt coils for Trident [Re: L.A.B.] #789446 11/07/19 7:25 pm
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Q

its like lab said .

with
the underlying reason being the trispark is not a wasted spark type ignition .
the design asks for ;
3 -12v coils ,
or 3- 6volts coils... with a 1.6 ohm ballast resistor .

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon

the 4 volt coils may have been fine for another type of ignition ... a wasted spark type
( Maybe the previous igniton before the trispark was added )
You could probably fit an appropriate ballast resistor to make 4 volt coils work
... but trisPark , in some of their literature
Specifically mentions not to do so .
... the 4v. coils were too hot ( not enough resistance ) for the ignition dwell time and voltage
... somewhere in the 8 millisecond range x 12 volts .
it wasnt the starter motor causing the problem ... the coils were overheating .

the Trispark ignition is not of the wasted Spark type
so each coil fires only one cylinder ... 3 individual pick up signals
fire three coils ... individually .

trispark recommends .
3 , 6volt coils with one ,,, 1.6 ohms ballast resistor [Linked Image from trispark.com.au]
Is there a ballast resistor fitted... its important .
or
3 , 12volt coils ... with not ballast .

( they also recommend that if a ballast resistor is fitted ...for 6 volt coil operation .
it not be bypassed during start mode ... (the original diagram with a starter used a solenoid bypass )

i would assume
the 6volt coils with ballast ... would be a bettter match ... to an engine with a starter .
the literature mentions being good down to 8 volts , but i wonder ?

Last edited by quinten; 11/07/19 9:28 pm.
Re: 4 volt coils for Trident [Re: Curmudgeon] #789470 11/08/19 12:01 am
Curmudgeon Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks so much for this very useful information guys. I will pass it on to my friend.
Happy B-Day Morgan!

reliccycles.com
Re: 4 volt coils for Trident [Re: Curmudgeon] #789485 11/08/19 9:19 am
S
Stein Roger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
This is a typical example of us reading or hearing something without engaging the brain and try to understand the essence of what we read or hear. It happens on occasion, though I try my best...
A typical example was an owner asking me this week to replace the Lucas 6v coils on his Boyer Bransden equipped Commando with a dual coil 12v item. When I asked why, these coils rarely fail, what are you aiming to accomplish, the answer was simply that somebody had told him it was a good idea, with no further reasoning.

Re: 4 volt coils for Trident [Re: Curmudgeon] #789552 11/09/19 2:55 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Back in the '80s I bought a Lucas Rita for my T150V. The kit came with three 4V coils. You don't suppose that Lucas actually knew something about their system, and their customers?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: 4 volt coils for Trident [Re: DavidP] #790601 11/19/19 6:59 pm
S
Stein Roger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by DavidP
Back in the '80s I bought a Lucas Rita for my T150V. The kit came with three 4V coils. You don't suppose that Lucas actually knew something about their system, and their customers?

The OP asked about 4V coils on a TriSpark ignition. That would clearly be wrong, as explained by others.
I agree that 4V with a RITA is the way to go. I have those on my Trident, and on my R3 back in in 90s.

SR

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership