BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
old PJ
old PJ
Royal Berkshire
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Digital Expressions, johnjorgensen, Ray Byrne, Heff, kerna
10915 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 77
quinten 65
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,963 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,068
Posts683,226
Members10,915
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
54 registered members (Beach), 347 guests, and 986 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
"New Borranis" (Buchanans) #788624 10/30/19 4:06 pm
B
Bigtwin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Hi!
Anyone have experience with the "new & real" Borrani rims from Buchanans??? I've seen the Chinese knock-offs and they are pitiful to say the least!!! Their add says only Borrani can make Borranis... finding NOS undrilled items via greed-bay is sketchy. Any experience out there???

Bigtwin

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: "New Borranis" (Buchanans) [Re: Bigtwin] #788697 10/31/19 2:27 pm
gavin eisler Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I bought directly from Borranis website 2018, good rims, V strong.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: "New Borranis" (Buchanans) [Re: Bigtwin] #788755 11/01/19 5:42 am
T
t ingermanson Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
i just bought and laced a couple of them 2 weeks ago: a wm3 for the front and wm4 for the rear.

first off, they had dramatically different extruded section shapes between the two, with one of the channels being much deeper and wider than the other. for aesthetics, i would order the same width if at all possible.

secondly, the front rim had a pretty bad hop in it at the welded seam. it was about .065" hop in the bead of the rim, in about a 2-3" section circumferentially. pretty bad. the hop was slightly less bad at the seat of the tire, where it really matters, but the bead was not great. it ended up building up ok, but the spoke tensions were a bit disparate. we'll see how it ages.

the rear rim built up great. even tension, very true, very round, with all the holes drilled in the right spots in the dimples.

buchanan's has great service and stand behind their products, but the front rim was not fantastic. they don't make them, so i can't hold them responsible for the manufacture of the rim. i've had great luck with their sun rims, or the excel rims. the excels come in a shouldered version as well.

Re: "New Borranis" (Buchanans) [Re: Bigtwin] #788842 11/02/19 12:09 am
D
DMadigan Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
D
Their web site says the WM4 and 5 Borrani rims have different drop from the smaller rims. My experience is mostly with their Sun rims which are very good. I did have them do a special lacing once on an Excel rim where the spokes crossed before the rim to make room for a caliper on a Ceriani front end for a Triumph flat track to street conversion. Worked out perfect.

Re: "New Borranis" (Buchanans) [Re: Bigtwin] #789534 11/08/19 8:49 pm
Denis J Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Bigtwin
Hi!
Anyone have experience with the "new & real" Borrani rims from Buchanans??? I've seen the Chinese knock-offs and they are pitiful to say the least!!! Their add says only Borrani can make Borranis... finding NOS undrilled items via greed-bay is sketchy. Any experience out there???

Bigtwin

Put a set on a BMW from Buchanan. Excellent and exactly as the originals I bought used aprox 10 years ago.

...no idea what your doing

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership