BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
CafeTbird
CafeTbird
Raleigh, NC
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis
10937 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 63
DavidP 62
quinten 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,060,824 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,227
Posts684,649
Members10,937
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (998John), 1,110 guests, and 892 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T120 Cylinder Head Thickness Unit Engines #789466 11/07/19 11:35 pm
Denis J Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I searched and found the thickness specifications for a T140 head, but nothing regarding the T120 head. I vaguely remember they are the same..please correct me if I am wrong.

I am specifically looking for the cylinder head thickness (rocker surface to cylinder) and a minimum thickness if there is one.

I have a head here that has seen a number of services. My measurements are 0.20mm different cylinder 1 to 2. The head has apparently been cut/skimmed without regard to being square to the rocker surfaces. Cylinder one side 70.8mm.....Cylinder 2 side 70.6mm

I am hoping to cut it square if I have enough material, and then follow up with head and base gaskets of the appropriate thicknesses.

Thank you for your help!!

Full time classic motorcycle mechanic and enthusiast to a fault
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: T120 Cylinder Head Thickness Unit Engines [Re: Denis J] #789480 11/08/19 4:41 am
T
TR7RVMan Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
T
Hi Dennis, In my experience than non parallel is not out of line. Triumph didn’t seem to worry about it. With push rods it’s not critical. I’m away from my notes until Sunday. I can let you know the measurements on the original 69 Bonnie head, never skimmed. Both it & my ‘73 Tiger head is tapered. Yet both top & bottom surfaces are flat.

If both are flat I probably would leave it.

What will cause problems is a dip in head surface between bolt holes.
Copper gasket has very little crush. Maybe only .001” so it cannot fill dips.

Some gentle bowing can be pulled flat sometimes, but for perfect results a truly flat surface is needed.

Extra thick head gaskets are made & can help compensate for skimming heads. They do not tend to leak worse than normal thickness. PRT seal crush is effected by skimming & head gasket thickness so keep that in mind. Squish band of piston is effected also, as is rocket are geometry.

Seems nothing is simple on a Triumph one you leave factory new parts.
Don

Last edited by TR7RVMan; 11/08/19 4:44 am. Reason: Changed sentence

1973 Tiger 750
Re: T120 Cylinder Head Thickness Unit Engines [Re: Denis J] #789489 11/08/19 11:40 am
T
Tigernuts Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
T
I bought a brand new TR7 head recently and measured it thoroughly. It was about ad out of parallel as yours. No idea why they came out like this - you'd think that they'd have done the head gasket & rocker box gasket facing on the same machine, just turning the workpiece over, in which case they must have routinely not bothered brushing the swarf away. Otherwise, they should have come out parallel automatically.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Re: T120 Cylinder Head Thickness Unit Engines [Re: Denis J] #789505 11/08/19 4:12 pm
S
Stein Roger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Somewhere close to 71 mm is normal, it's also normal to have a lightly wedge shape head.
On a TR7 I had, the timing chest wasn't parallell with the center line. I haven't checked any other timing chests, and I don't care.
Nothing surprises me with a Triumph anymore, but they usually go fast anyway. That's the beauty of them.

Re: T120 Cylinder Head Thickness Unit Engines [Re: Stein Roger] #789518 11/08/19 6:40 pm
T
Tigernuts Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
T
I've never thought to check the timing cover / crankcase centreline truth. Amazing that this was out, but as long as it works, it doesn't matter I suppose!

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Re: T120 Cylinder Head Thickness Unit Engines [Re: Denis J] #789520 11/08/19 6:46 pm
J
John Healy Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
J
It is the crankcase mouth not parallel with the center line of the crankshaft which is most bothersome.

Re: T120 Cylinder Head Thickness Unit Engines [Re: John Healy] #789579 11/09/19 12:07 pm
S
Stein Roger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by John Healy
It is the crankcase mouth not parallel with the center line of the crankshaft which is most bothersome.

Yes and it's a very real problem to rectify for the average enthusiast. If anyone has a DIY trick that doesn't involve expensive tooling, I'd be happy to learn about it...

SR

Re: T120 Cylinder Head Thickness Unit Engines [Re: Denis J] #789854 11/11/19 8:03 pm
T
TR7RVMan Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
T
Hi Denis, On the '69 Bonnie head the thick point is 2.799", the thin is 2.790".

Thick in front by .009". Side to side taper is .003". This all the inner 4 large bolts. Center bolt is 2.318".

The outside bolts don't really count. Outside bolts are thickest 2.786", thinnest 2.780". outside bolts are thinner in front. Just the opposite of the rocker box surface bolts.

This is about how my '73 Tiger is also. I'll have to dig deeper in log to find it though. Both my Tiger & the '69 work perfectly in real life. No leaks or rocker, valve issues.
Don

1973 Tiger 750

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO