BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
dig
dig
new zealand
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Chris French, Mel PinX, Digital Expressions, johnjorgensen, Ray Byrne
10917 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 84
quinten 70
Popular Topics(Views)
1,051,483 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,093
Posts683,447
Members10,917
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
88 registered members (Adam M.), 502 guests, and 1,018 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
bsa front wheel offset #788998 11/03/19 8:40 am
M
Mick M Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Hello, I don't seem to have much luck with the search function. So can someone help me with an offset measurement of a BSA front wheel with a
single sided 8 inch front brake? I have recorded a measurement of 7/8 inch from brake drum to outside of rim but that was recorded somewhere
in the dim dark past and I would like to be certain before I spend a lot of time truing the thing up. Thanks in advance. Mick.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: bsa front wheel offset [Re: Mick M] #789006 11/03/19 10:02 am
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I don't bother much with front wheel offsets, I get the rim running true, mount the wheel and then centralise between the legs.

Re: bsa front wheel offset [Re: kommando] #789045 11/03/19 6:17 pm
M
mxman1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
It's kind of tricky. I just looked at mine and with a shouldered akront rim, the edge of the rim to center of fork leg is 2.25 inches. I'm not sure how to measure the actual offset. I'm not a wheel expert but have had some experience as follows. In the late 1990's I took my single sided hub to England while visiting on a job and drove to Hagon to have them build stainless rims and spokes. I carried them home and found the offset had not been included in the build. The wheel was severely lop-sided. I found "Spokey" formerly from Ghost cycles and sent him the wheel for truing (he was retired and living in New Hampshire). He said that he was able to get the wheel near the correct offset but the dimples had also been incorrectly punched (also without taking in the offset) and any more would have stressed the angles too much. SO it's important to not only know the offset before building, it's important to have the knowledge of how the rim holes need to be punched. I sent to hubs to Buchanan's and they came back perfect... so that's my recommendation... because it's tricky.

As a side note I did write Hagon once I was home and they were very apologetic, offering to redo the wheels while paying for all shipping etc. I passed on their offer want a closer and faster solution. additionally I also had bought new shrouded shocks then and after bottoming out one too many times realized they were 12.9 inches (late model OIF BSA) rather than the correct 13.4 inches (as they sell now). I just bought some ikon's (Semi shrouded)

Todd

Re: bsa front wheel offset [Re: Mick M] #789410 11/07/19 9:58 am
M
Mick M Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Thanks guys for your input.
Regards Mick.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership