BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
celtrock
celtrock
Vermont
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Home Brew Hydraulic Clutch
#788996 11/03/19 8:13 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi
Thought I would share a little info on my hydraulic clutch slave cylinder that I have made for my t160 Iit's up on another board tagged in to someone else thread if you have seen it before sorry.
When I got the bike every part of the clutch from the lever to the friction plate was worn out, making my own hydraulic slave cylinder was the most economical route to a working clutch.
I machined the slave cylinder with a 38mm piston stepped down to 12mm travelling spigot (made up name) sealed with Viton orings through the main body. The piston carries a std pull rod bearing , I have used the stock adjuster nuts . I made the pull rod up from a top hat from an old pull rod and a good quality ht bolt .

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I started testing with a 13mm Brembo mastercylinde I have now moved on to 13mm rear brake master cylinder form a Suzuki bergman scooter. Opperating force required feels to be the same as my ZRX1200r, I also made the slave for my 850 mk3 commando. The Commando comes in around the same pull I have wasted hours in the past in search of the mythical 2 fingered clutch they all seem to slip under hard acceleration, when I lighten things to that extent . I may at some point try an 11mm master cylinder.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The figure on the gauge is a little less than full lift as I have adjusted the pull rod to give and easy spin of the big nut. With the bike in first clutch pulled fully home the back wheel turns easily. I can't tell you what it's like on the road as the bike has not turned a wheel under its own steam since I bought back from Virginia. Won't be long now paint work is nearly done more wiring tomorrow!

Best regards

Esme

Last edited by Esmerela; 11/03/19 8:15 am.

[Linked Image]

The older I get, the faster I was
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Home Brew Hydraulic Clutch
Esmerela #789007 11/03/19 10:06 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nice work

Esmerela #790443 11/18/19 1:51 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi trident t150v

Thank you, and thank you for taking the time to post a reply.

Best regards

Esme

Ps. Any update on the big bore install?

[Linked Image]

Esmerela #790461 11/18/19 6:57 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A few comments, the lift of the slave is:
Slave Lift = Master piston travel * Master Bore^2 / (Slave OD^2 - Slave ID^2)
From the total master travel you have to subtract the distance it takes to close the reservoir bleed hole. The piston travel is determined by the lever clearance to the grip and the distance of the piston pushrod to pivot.
A bleed screw in the top of the slave would make bleeding easier. Otherwise the slave has to be taken out and turned with the hose fitting pointed up to bleed effectively.
There is enough room to include a ball thrust bearing under the large nut or you could also use a small radial bearing to hold the pullrod and have the adjuster nut stop against the piston when lifted like the original. The radial bearing does not take the thrust load, just lets the pullrod spin with the clutch when not lifted.
A Belleville spring curve has a peak if the dimensions are right. The deflection when the clutch is released should be near the rising side of the peak so when lifted the spring load decreases.
[Linked Image from wclco.com]
The stock clutch dimensions are too far on the rising side for this to happen. You can check this by using a larger master and adding a pressure gauge in the line.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Esmerela #790478 11/18/19 9:50 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi David

Thank you for the master slave information, I have machined the piston to accept the original 57-3647 outer bearing and as you say the large adjuster contacts the piston in operation. I have turned the slave cylinder from round stock so a little short of metal for a bleed nipple, instead I fitted a vent screw, the system can be bled in situe by opening and closing the vent screw 1/2 a turn in time with the first few pumps of the lever, once the cylinder is purged of air I use the bleed nipple on the master cylinder banjo bolt to bleed the rest.

Best regards

Esme

Last edited by Esmerela; 11/18/19 9:52 pm.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Tridentman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership