BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
eightangrybears
eightangrybears
New Hampshire, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Digital Expressions, johnjorgensen, Ray Byrne, Heff, kerna
10915 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 77
quinten 65
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,963 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,068
Posts683,226
Members10,915
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Beach), 346 guests, and 937 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Buying The Right Gaiters #788987 11/03/19 2:56 am
M
mrcarb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Can someone suggest the right front fork gaiters to buy for a 69 Lightning? I hear that the USA made gaiters will last a long time but look a little odd when compressed. I have also read that Wassell gaiters are good but I have not heard how long they last, being that most gaiters only last a few months before tearing. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Buying The Right Gaiters [Re: mrcarb] #788992 11/03/19 6:03 am
L
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
I don't know about US versus anywhere else, but I think the situation is better than it was. The first vendor I ever noticed that came right out and said they had something better was Bonneville Shop, out in Denver. I bought a few pairs from them, but only the earlier version- 67 and older. They are definitely better than the trash I had been buying. I have 2 pair on bikes for maybe 3 years now, still look good.

But. None of my bikes get ridden much, never out in harsh weather. Still, this is way, way better than before........I had some of those cheap bastards split before I even got the bike project done........they never even saw daylight. So check with them and CBS, or call around looking for the forty some dollar ones. Instead of the 20 some dollar ones.

Re: Buying The Right Gaiters [Re: mrcarb] #788993 11/03/19 6:06 am
L
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
Yeah, I looked and I'd say you might give these a shot:

https://www.classicbritishspares.co...set-97-3635-bsa-a50-a65-daytona-usa-made

Re: Buying The Right Gaiters [Re: mrcarb] #788997 11/03/19 8:22 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The Wassel HD ones are quite good but still start to perish without seeing day light. Silicone spray helps them last much longer but the ones from CBS I have, have been on a couple of years. It hasn’t seen the salt in that time as I’ve been too busy to ride the old girl as much as I used to but they still look as good as the day I got them.

beerchug
Re: Buying The Right Gaiters [Re: mrcarb] #788999 11/03/19 8:43 am
J
jaycee Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
i know this is not the motorcycle in question,but here goes anyway, i bought norvil gaiters 20 yrs ago for my commando as i wanted the euro styling but also wanted to keep the seals from failing and the salt air away from the tubes (i lived in hawaii). i bought two sets. i doubt i'll ever use the 2nd pair as the 1st set looks like they were installed yesterday. seems to me that someone needs to find out who makes the norvil items (assuming they are the same quality now) and ask if they make them for bsa and triumph. i guarantee you will be happy

Last edited by jaycee; 11/03/19 8:44 am.
Re: Buying The Right Gaiters [Re: mrcarb] #789011 11/03/19 10:45 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
The problem is the reluctance of BSA riders to open their wallets and the fact that there is no BSA factory doing QC.
For the past 20 or so years natural latex has been substantially cheaper than synthetic rubber so when the compounders make the rubber granules they bung in as much lattex as possible.
Aftermarket parts suppliers usually do not have the knowledge to correctly specify the compound needed to be used and even fewer have the equipment to check if what they have been supplied is in fact what they ordered.
Now if we were willing to pay $ 100 a pair then some one might just go to the effort of making good ones.
Way way back there was a post that a particular BMW gaiter would fit although it has the wrong crease count.
BMW being a functioning motorcycle company still maintains proper QC so durable gaiters are made for them.
I think the ones used were from the LS series twin shocks but some one with a better memory than mine or a leaning towards boxers might shed some more light on it.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Buying The Right Gaiters [Re: mrcarb] #789275 11/05/19 7:56 pm
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
+1 on the BMW gaiters. The ones on my K bike show no signs of wear. Maybe some made for older R bikes would fit British forks?
I bought some from Andover Norton. They work on the disc forks and last. However, I don't know if they sell anything that will work on earlier Triumph/BSA forks.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Buying The Right Gaiters [Re: mrcarb] #789286 11/05/19 10:03 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Kyle @ CBS vendor here.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership