BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
dig
dig
new zealand
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Chris French, Mel PinX, Digital Expressions, johnjorgensen, Ray Byrne
10917 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 84
quinten 70
Popular Topics(Views)
1,051,483 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,093
Posts683,447
Members10,917
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
88 registered members (Adam M.), 501 guests, and 1,017 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Spark Plug Thread Size [Re: Norcoastal] #789537 11/08/19 9:58 pm
gavin eisler Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
With a helicoil you get a sized clean up drill, Timesert the same. Both are way better than fuucked threads. I thought it would be a good idea to fit Timeserts into my old head, the threads were OK, but I knew the plugs had been in and out a lot, there was a bit of waggle about 1/2 way My LBS put Time serts into my A65 head, I watched Ali do it , proper job. , I thought they might be better than helicoils, the plugs are still not a grade A fit , somewhat loose , OK , but some perceptible waggle at 1/2 in ( same as before). I cleaned the plug , combustion chamber interface up, the plugs were more recessed than I like and an old thread was in free space , this would have invited pinking. YMMV. Unless your threads are totally fecked , dinnae bother. A helicoil might be better because it will give original plug depth. If you must do something, have the head bolt hole shoulders spot faced, my centre mount was miles off the batter.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 11/08/19 10:00 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Spark Plug Thread Size [Re: BSA_WM20] #789539 11/08/19 10:12 pm
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Originally Posted by NickL
I think a lot of you lot are a bit anal,, i've fitted successfully dozens of helicoils to cars and bikes over the years
and never had any problems with them. If you are careful and stake the top they work fine.
Just my 2c of course.
I agree inserts are nicer but i've not got any.

Helicoils are by nature not oil or pressure tight so my general rule is solid inserts when oil tightness or pressure tightness is essential, wire inserts everywhere else.
Having said that I do fit Recoils to the plug holes on mowers & chainsaws but a leaky plug on your lawnmower aint going to leave you stranded in outer whoop whoop.

All of the head bolts on the M20 are helicoiled as are most of the gearbox holes.
However the sump gets solid inserts.

No parallel thread is guaranteed to be either gas or pressure tight, that's why sealing washers exist. I've never seen a tapered threaded spark plug but itv wouldn't surprise me if
the idea was tried at some stage. Most plug threads are stripped due to over-tightening, for some reason people think they are required to be 100 ftlb.
The last time i had to personally use a helicoil was at a race meeting, on checking plugs after practice my passenger was a bit heavy handed when replacing one.
I used plenty of grease on the helicoil tap and did the job in-situ. We then went out and won both our races for the day. The head still had that heli-coil in when the bike
was sold many races and years later.
I suppose you blokes would have abandoned the race meeting, driven home, taken the head off, taken it to a machine shop, etc. etc. (No bloody way .)

Re: Spark Plug Thread Size [Re: Norcoastal] #789543 11/08/19 11:26 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
i helicoiled a spark plug once on a small block chevrolet motor without taking it apart. never saw it run afterwards but the job was straightforward.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership