BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
eightangrybears
eightangrybears
New Hampshire, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Digital Expressions, johnjorgensen, Ray Byrne, Heff, kerna
10915 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 77
quinten 65
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,963 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,068
Posts683,226
Members10,915
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Beach), 346 guests, and 947 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Identify these parts? #788713 10/31/19 7:00 pm
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
There is currently a 1968 A65L being parted out on eBay, broken down to the last nut and bolt. Among the pieces for sale are a set of tins with the remains of a '70s era custom paint job. I know very little about BSA, but I think the real '68 A65L tank would have indents for the badges and a different style cap. Also, I think the fenders would have been the chrome plated "blade" type. While I don't doubt that the seller pulled these parts from a '68 Lightning, I'm curious as to what bike they originally came from. Can anybody tell me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Some pics:

[Linked Image from tr6ray.zenfolio.com]

A little tire contact under the rear fender:

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Identify these parts? [Re: TR6Ray] #788715 10/31/19 7:43 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi Ray, the tank and rear guard are genuine A65 from a 67 bike (least the tank is. Pre 67 had flat bottoms and post 67 tanks had the bigger badges and large flip type cap.

67 on rear guards are all similar, but comparing some originals ive had through my hands the 67 flared out more at the number plate end, the later guard kept its profile. Otherwise they were identical and also in fit.

Front guard is hard to tell. I’m not sure when the shorter nosed 4 tab guards started. The front mount looped over the guard ( like mine if you see a picture) the stay changed depending on model year and bikes country designation. The longer British guard is a 6 tab unit with individual stays and not looped. The mounts for these stays would have been welded to the guard, in any case these aren’t there or the welds broke. Another point is the tail end of the front guard is supposed to be beaded like the front.

The WDB40 front guards and I “think” (using this hot loosely) are identical to the gold star front guard. The front end is headed or rolled but the tail end of the guard is cut and not rolled etc. There are no pre mounted tabs like on the A65 but the stays are on one piece for front and rear and bolt to the guard.
From your picture this is what it looks like.

There was other guards for the US off-road models but having not seen them, I won’t presume to describe them.

HTH

beerchug
Re: Identify these parts? [Re: TR6Ray] #788717 10/31/19 7:55 pm
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Thanks Allan,

You made quick work of this question! I appreciate the analysis.

So, if that is a 1967 tank, would it originally have been chrome plated? How would the badges have been attached? Maybe they were smaller than the '68 badges and didn't require indented areas in the sides of the tank? Would there have been threaded screw holes (perhaps filled in on the tank in the pictures).

Ray

Last edited by TR6Ray; 10/31/19 8:03 pm. Reason: added some questions

Re: Identify these parts? [Re: TR6Ray] #788768 11/01/19 1:17 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Your welcome,

the tank would have impressions for a single screw badge in the tank (see if this works) link to image. Its hightly likely that the badge impressions have been filled, the fact that the paint has bonded better in that area backs this up.

Im not sure how Triumph did theirs but the BSA tanks have something which resembles a riv-nut inside the tank, im sure there is more to it than that, as they don't tend to leak around this area.

beerchug
Re: Identify these parts? [Re: Allan Gill] #788787 11/01/19 4:02 pm
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
O.K., Allan, that makes sense to me now. I was looking too high on the side of the tank for the badge impressions and I was seeing only bare steel. Just like the grass grows greener over the sceptic tank, I guess the paint sticks better over the old bondo. Here's a picture of the same situation on the RH side of the tank:

For comparison, here's a grab from that '67 A65 in the link you posted:

I must say that the red/chrome tank is nicer to look at. Still, the eBay one might be good for a rider, once the old paint was stripped off and some new sprayed on.

Thanks again for your help.

Re: Identify these parts? [Re: TR6Ray] #788797 11/01/19 4:44 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I have a couple of "scappy" tanks which would not be worth in my opinion making nice, but if I decided to ship a bike then they would get a nice coat of paint and fitted to the bike.

Good editing on the pics, I lost the will after photobucket saw it arse, never had the urge or desire to post many pics since, sunsequently also posting a lot less. The UBB upload tool is good but I have to upload images to the pc, change its file type and resize so they can be uploaded. When I spend a lot of time away from a computer and do most forum work on my phone (same device i take photos with) it makes it harder and you "loose the thread" when trying to add pictures several days after a post has been made and your back on a PC again.

beerchug
Re: Identify these parts? [Re: TR6Ray] #788880 11/02/19 9:38 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
I find it rather amusing that people expect a 60 year old bike to be wearing all of the parts that it left the factory with.
This of cours excludes bikes that were placed into storage the day they were bought so never did a mile on a road where they could have fallen over , been run into or just crashed requiring new parts to be fitted.
Most BSA tanks could be obtained without any plastic badges and this was the case for competition bikes where the badges would have to be either lockwired or removd before it was allowed on the track.
Then there were contracts where the police wanted plain tanks with no chrome & decals .
Not all bikes that left the BSA factory were as depicted in the glossy brochures, a point that the AHMA pig headedly refuse to acknowledge.
There were lots of bits & pieces that were dealer specific , particularly on West Coast bikes where the different parts are only to be found in dealer notices.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Identify these parts? [Re: TR6Ray] #788883 11/02/19 10:25 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
To be fair Trevor, I don’t think anyone is expecting a bike to be exactly as a catalogue depicts 60 years after its year of manufacture.

I believe Rays question is asking where these bits would have original come from. It’s likely that they would have come off an early model 68 and been left over parts fitted to clear the stocks. But it’s not uncommon for people to rebuild a bike to the appearance of the catalogue and parts book images as these tend to be the best commonly available references.

beerchug

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership