BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
trevinoz
trevinoz
newcastle australia
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease fittings ??
#788360 10/27/19 5:34 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have a Velocette Venom, just beginning to find my way around the bike,the swingarm trunnion tube has holes tapped with a fine thread, one tapped hole on either side of the tube, positioned at the 12:00 position.... are these tapped for grease fittings ?..... The bike is registered as a 1957, but the frame number indicates 1953 ?.... perhaps the holes were deleted on newer frames as I don't see them on the frame diagrams , nor do I see grease fittings shown .

Thanks for any and all help.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Grease fittings ??
limeyrider #788417 10/28/19 2:18 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Short answer... YES fit grease nipples and smash lots of grease through to clean out the bushes and trunnion.

Next: A few Velocette enthusiasts have launched an independent, commercial-free standalone Velocette Forum... FINALLY!
Please join us, it will become THE resource for Velo info etc.

We need people like you Limeyrider. Already after 2 days have over 60 members, and there's a wealth of knowledge there already. It can only get better -with your participation hopefully.
Click:

https://velocette.vbulletin.net/

and sign on.

limeyrider #788545 10/29/19 4:44 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks Joolstacho.... a problem arises with the grease fittings ..... the threads are 3/8 - 26 ! .... Cycle thread I believe .

I have signed on to the new Velo site .... thanks for the contact.

limeyrider #788629 10/30/19 4:41 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In my experience (I have three RS frame Velos and a few more frames) the grease fitting is usually on the bottom of the swing arm pivot and the zerks are threaded into the frame casting. The scrambler swing-arm stanchions were drilled and pinned on top. With holes on the top maybe that is what you have.

Laurence Luce
slow learner #789266 11/05/19 5:36 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Thanks slow learner ... I found the grease fittings , underneath, the swing arm... but blanked off with plugs and painted over .... I got the plugs out and grease fittings fitted, the two holes on top are tapped 3/8-26 .... need a couple of set screw to fit those.

Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership