BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
eightangrybears
eightangrybears
New Hampshire, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Digital Expressions, johnjorgensen, Ray Byrne, Heff, kerna
10915 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 77
quinten 65
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,963 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,068
Posts683,226
Members10,915
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Beach), 346 guests, and 943 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B33 short rod high comp piston #788518 10/29/19 6:41 am
D
Dean44 Offline OP
New poster
OP Offline
New poster
D
Hi all

Am new here. I have a few brit bikes and among them is a 1954/56 B33.It is a real bitsa and i had had it for about 15 years and my dad wants to start trying to get it together. The head has been put together with some bigger than standard valves and some flow test work. This was done about 10 years ago and I can't really remember the specifics. I do seem to remember the guy that did the work saying it should go good at about 9-1CR

My question is as i would like to go a bit higher than the standard 7.5-1 CR and i cant seem to find a B33 piston to do this. Has anyone fitted a goldstar rod and piston to a short rod B33? Is it a straight swap? is the deck height right?

As far as i can tell the "throw" of the GS and the B33 is the same so should go straight in.

The bike was completely in bits when i got it so i have no references.

Alternately is there another piston that will fit without too much work to give a higher CR

Thanks in advance
D

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: B33 short rod high comp piston [Re: Dean44] #788544 10/29/19 4:26 pm
Gordo in Comox Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Dean: Looking at the refs I have the B33 went to a 6.875" rod in 1953. The GS short rod is 6.468". That is quite a difference. To really know the answer you would need to also compare the height of the piston deck above the wrist pin. I do not know how the barrel heights compare. Measuring a DBD piston I get 29/32" from the top of the pin to the top of the deck ( not dome ).

Have you tried these guys?

https://www.feked.com/gandini-gpm-piston-bsa-b33-m33-short-con-rod-models-circa-1952-60.html
Gordo

Last edited by Gordo in Comox; 10/29/19 4:37 pm. Reason: added link

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: B33 short rod high comp piston [Re: Dean44] #788595 10/30/19 3:44 am
D
Dean44 Offline OP
New poster
OP Offline
New poster
D
Hi Gordo

I have a 6.875" rod that was in the box of bits and know that the GS rod is shorter. The question is, is the difference in the rod piston combo or as you have said, is it in the barrel height also? The problem is I don't have any B33 piston to compare.

Does anyone have a short rod B33 piston that they could measure the pin to top of deck height so i can compare the measurement that Gordo has supplied?? This will tell me if it is all in the rod and piston.

Was thinking someone must have tried this before I go and buy a GS rod and piston.

I did have a look at Feked but the piston they list is (as per the link) is quite low comp; 7.5-1.

Anyway thanks for you input.

Cheers
D

Re: B33 short rod high comp piston [Re: Dean44] #788596 10/30/19 5:27 am
Gordo in Comox Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Here is an old thread llnk with some info. There is a DBD cylinder height given and other B33 data

http://britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=627962

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership