BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Grin
Grin
Fife,Scotland, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Richard77, Jon law, Honey Badger, puffinpower, Mr.Paul
10905 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 102
quinten 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,180 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,044
Posts682,911
Members10,905
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (Alan_nc), 356 guests, and 782 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options #788357 10/27/19 5:18 pm
S
SJS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hi there. Decided to upgrade the front brakes on my T160. I've got a completely brand new set of front forks lined up fitted with progressive springs.
I've just got to decide which of the following options will give me the best increase in braking : cost : additional weight.

Option 1. 2 brand new Grimeca alloy calipers plus pads, 1 lightened four hole disc ( already have one fitted ), set of braided brake pipes to suit new set up. Total cost excluding the forks is circa £500.00 in parts.

Option 2. Norman Hyde single disc upgrade kit consisting of 12 inch lightweight disc with single AP Racing lightweight caliper plus pads, plus associated mount kit. Total cost excluding the forks is circa £500.00 in parts

There's no more than a tenner between the two options so:

The Hyde single disc upgrade conversion will be a lighter weight installation, easier / quicker to fit, less parts for ongoing maintenance and in my view doesn't detract from the appearance of the bike quite as much as the twin disc set .

The twin disc set up requires for more components and as such higher maintenance costs, will be a heavier installation than the single disc option, is a bigger faff to fit and bleed with all of the additional pipework and again, purely in my view, doesn't look as neat as the Hyde option.

But the million $ question is and taking into account everything above, which option will give the better increased braking performance ?

Once again, I have no riding experience of either option so comments from those who have appreciated.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788373 10/27/19 7:41 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
I did not see the additional slider in your twin disc option.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: DMadigan] #788392 10/27/19 10:38 pm
S
SJS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hi Dave, I've already committed to a complete brand new set of front forks and can have them as twin or single disc spec at negligible price difference so its just a case of which direction I go in with the two options detailed. To be honest, my instinct is to go the Norman Hyde route but thats all it is. I have no experience of the braking efficiency of either option above the standard Triumph factory set up. The purpose of the exercise is to end up with the best braking efficiency option. In every other respect they kind of balance each other out. Its a costly exercise whichever way you look at it, so I just want the brakes to be the best they can.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788403 10/27/19 11:27 pm
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by SJS
The purpose of the exercise is to end up with the best braking efficiency option. In every other respect they kind of balance each other out. Its a costly exercise whichever way you look at it, so I just want the brakes to be the best they can.

If that's the intention then I suggest you fit twin discs.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/363753/dual-disc-conversion-worth-it
(I wouldn't agree that a larger diameter master cylinder is required)

Last edited by L.A.B.; 10/27/19 11:42 pm.
Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788419 10/28/19 2:23 am
tridentt150v Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Twin discs work....I stayed with Lockheed and also fitted the upside down cast disc caliper. I have a Twin with the alloy calipers and tbh I see nil braking efficiency difference in either setup. I did go to the 0.70" M/C on the Trident, the T140 already had one std. The std 5/8 m/c could have been ok to use, but I didn't try it first.

Last edited by tridentt150v; 10/29/19 8:50 am.
Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788438 10/28/19 11:48 am
S
SJS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Thanks for that and the link to previous thread ( I can never seem to recall these using the search facility ?? ).
Looks like twin disc is the way to go then so I'll crack on in that direction.
Going to treat myself to one of those shiny alloy Hyde Fork braces as well, seem to make sense with the extra braking forces.

As usual, all advice appreciated.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788441 10/28/19 1:03 pm
R
richardvy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
I have had twin disc setup and worked very well. I don’t race about and still use the rear brake but the main thing was knowing I had very good braking on what is a heavy bike. I have also had the NH setup you mention with a fork brace but on a T120 which was considerable lighter bike. This to worked very well. So my two pennyworth, defiantly go for twin disc but don’t think you need a fork brace as twin discs should balance out any fork twisting force should be minimal. Richard

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788443 10/28/19 2:03 pm
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by SJS
Thanks for that and the link to previous thread ( I can never seem to recall these using the search facility ?? ).
Going to treat myself to one of those shiny alloy Hyde Fork braces as well, seem to make sense with the extra braking forces.

If you go for twin discs then you don't really need a fork brace (I have the Hyde on my T160 but was fitted by a PO) so perhaps put money toward a pair of lightweight (AP, AP copy or Grimeca) calipers rather than a second upside-down Triumph Lockheed heavyweight caliper but that's only a suggestion.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788444 10/28/19 2:44 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
You could also lighten things by using a steel disc with aluminum carrier.
I use two 41mm calipers on 11" discs with 5/8" master on my Wenco frame racer.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788448 10/28/19 3:23 pm
S
SJS Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Interesting, consensus is I don't need the fork brace then.
So the brace is mainly to stop forces of twist as opposed to reinforce against movement of the forks fore and aft under braking ?
Despite an irresistible urge to buy anything shiny alloy, I'll hold back and save £190.00 for now then.
Thanks.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788450 10/28/19 3:51 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
A brace at the top of the fork legs has no effect on the stanchions bending which is why stanchions are much larger in diameter today.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: L.A.B.] #788522 10/29/19 8:57 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by L.A.B.
Originally Posted by SJS

If you go for twin discs then you don't really need a fork brace (I have the Hyde on my T160 but was fitted by a PO) so perhaps put money toward a pair of lightweight (AP, AP copy or Grimeca) calipers rather than a second upside-down Triumph Lockheed heavyweight caliper but that's only a suggestion.

Does anyone know the actual weight difference? I don't really want to have to unbolt and weight mine.....too much hassle tbh.
For my bikes, the weight save doesn't matter, they are road bikes, so I generally look for strength over weight saving - not that the calipers [alloy or cast] lack strength, they are both good. But when I bought mine the alloy calipers were rare and very expensive. Plus I was looking for standard looks, but a modern take when I built mine up.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: tridentt150v] #788524 10/29/19 10:17 am
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by tridentt150v
Does anyone know the actual weight difference?

(Approximate, without pads)
Standard Triumph Lockheed caliper - 2.0 kg.
Grimeca alloy '4' bolt, (fits either left or right-handed, caliper has to be unbolted to remove pads) - 1.0 kg.
Older Grimeca alloy '2' bolt, (left and right-handed calipers, pads can be removed without unbolting) - 0.88 kg.

Edit: According to the AP website, the CP2696 is 0.9 kg.
https://www.apracing.com/product_de...idecar_2_piston_caliper/cp2696-38e0.aspx

Last edited by L.A.B.; 10/29/19 1:51 pm.
Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788530 10/29/19 1:27 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
I redid my T150 back in the late 80's after plowing into the rear quarter panel of a car that pulled a left turn on me. Mine got double Grimeca alloy calipers, standard disks and master cylinder, steel lines and a Hyde brace. I also have the fiber rings replacing the orings in the damper assembly. Same set up is still on it today all though the master cylinder has been replaced. I found that the brace and the fiber rings allow me to use somewhat lighter fork oil, which makes for a more comfortable ride. I also found that the difference in braking power was less noticeable when I was riding the bike, but way more noticeable when I got off it and rode one of my other relics.

Ed from NJ

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788536 10/29/19 3:05 pm
gavin eisler Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
last year I converted my 71 A65 to twin discs using T140 bits,AP alloy copy calipers, drilled iron discs and a 5/8 master cylinder. The brake is a huge improvement, however the bike now needs more steering input, apart from that its a very good brake. Possibly overkill, I seldom ride two up , I like D Madigans lighter disc option, and may go that way in the future.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: SJS] #788668 10/31/19 2:25 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
One thing I will say...the twin disc setup - while IMO the best option - makes getting the front wheel on or off a bit harder. When setting up/installing, you need to replace the standard studs with bolts so that you can remove a caliper. The tyre and rim is too wide to pass between the two calipers once they are bolted in place. But if you drop one and just let it hang off the hose [I actually use an occy strap and hang the caliper off the handlebars to take the pressure off the hose], then removal is essentially the same.

Re: T160 Front Brake Upgrade Options [Re: gavin eisler] #788924 11/02/19 5:36 pm
T
Tigernuts Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
last year I converted my 71 A65 to twin discs using T140 bits,AP alloy copy calipers, drilled iron discs and a 5/8 master cylinder. The brake is a huge improvement, however the bike now needs more steering input, apart from that its a very good brake. Possibly overkill, I seldom ride two up , I like D Madigans lighter disc option, and may go that way in the future.

You can recommend the copy APR calipers then Gavin? I've been hesitating to buy a pair due to not having found any long-term or reasonable mileage reviews.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership