BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
eightangrybears
eightangrybears
New Hampshire, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Digital Expressions, johnjorgensen, Ray Byrne, Heff, kerna
10915 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 77
quinten 65
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,963 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,068
Posts683,226
Members10,915
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Beach), 347 guests, and 922 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help Me Identify this Bike/Components #787410 10/18/19 5:40 pm
S
Shayne Brown Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hello Everyone. Morgan suggested I give this forum a shot so here goes.

Long story short, my father passed away a few weeks ago. As I was going through an old chest looking for pictures of him for the memorial service I came across several pictures of him on his BSA Motorcycle. He had mentioned it before and I recalled seeing pictures of it when I was younger but it had been 40 or more years since I had seen those.

While the bike itself was sold long before I was born, I'm kicking around the idea of recreating the bike as close to what you can see in the pictures as I can get. All I have to go off of are the two pictures. From what Morgan and few other folks have said, the core bike seems to be an A10 Spitfire Scrambler, year unknown. Other than that, to me, it looks like the bike is made up of parts from several different BSA bikes over different years. For example, I can't identify the tank as I've never seen that BSA emblem before. Also, the exhaust routing is different than what I've been able to find online, I can't identify the year or bike the rear fender came from and the higher handlebars are a mystery as well.

My best guess on the year of the picture would be 1956 to 1962 which puts my father between the ages of 18 & 24.

Any input you guys can give me would be great. Again, I'm simply looking to recreate the bike as closely as possible. I think my father would get a kick out of knowing I stumbled across his old pictures and took the time to put together a bike in his memory.

Update: Please share this with anyone that you believe can help me with this. Candidly, I do not know much of anything about BSA bikes and getting the bike as close to the images is important to me.

Thanks so much everyone.

Best,

Shayne

[Linked Image from dieselbarbershop.com]

Last edited by Shayne Brown; 10/21/19 5:27 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787426 10/18/19 7:12 pm
Gordo in Comox Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
My guess is that it an A7/A10 scrambler with all the main bits correct, The frame, engine, wheels, tanks, rear fender (now bobbed) and the cover at the top of the forks (no headlight ears) all seem correct. Only the seat and lights are not stock looking. The tank BSA crossed rifles badge is pretty standard for the 2 gal scrambles tank when not on the Gold Star single. There appears to be a dynamo but that would have easily been added with the lighting kit available back then. US folks should be able to date the car in the background to give you a starting point for dating the photo.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787427 10/18/19 7:18 pm
J
johnnie690 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
To start the car in the background appears to be a 1959 Ford Fairlane.
The tank badges were used on A10 for 58 and 59.The tank is a small scrambler tank.
The front wheel has the full width cast iron hub with single leading
brake with aluminum back plate ,also used 58 and 59 ,maybe further.
The fork shrouds in chrome were used on the scramblers ,these have a "Bates" (I think)
after market headlight and attachment brackets as they were supplied from BSA without headlight attachments .
The frame has no rear footpeg loops which points it towards a scrambler as stated by Morgan.
The solo seat also appears to be a "Bates".The tail light was the funky thing used I believe from the mid 50's to early 60's.Friends have showed me pics of their first bikes in the 50's and they also had fitted this aftermarket tail light,which I believe you can still get today,they had a polished aluminum body.
The rear fender is a bobbed A10, with BSA side attach struts.All for now .I'm sure others will join in .
Great picture to have ,your dad had a very cool machine.

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787449 10/18/19 11:53 pm
Boomer Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The last year for the cable brake frame Spitfire Scrambler was '61 and had the new star badges. I believe the stacked rifle badge was used on the scramblers up to '60. The pipes, seat, and lights were all available in the US market BSA accessory catalog. The bars are the BSA "Western" with what I think is a faint glimpse of the cable guide on left side bar riser. The tank almost looks new so I'm going to venture a guess that it is a '60 model, possible a '59.

Bill B...

Last edited by Boomer; 10/18/19 11:53 pm.

Boomer
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787451 10/19/19 12:08 am
Boomer Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Wait a minute, I take that all back. I saw the full width hub on the front and assumed it was the cable brake frame but on looking closer I see a rod brake in the back. The last year for a rod brake on the A10 scramblers was '57 and they had the 8" single sided front brake with the through axle, this has the '58 and later front forks and wheel. I'm now thinking it's a '57 that may have had a front end shunt and hence the newer forks wheel and a new looking tank.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787456 10/19/19 12:45 am
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The Ford Fairlane in the picture could be a '57.

Oh...yes, very cool bike. Also quite rare; coming up with one will be a tall order, but the effort will be well worthwhile!

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787459 10/19/19 1:32 am
tg4360 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
2nd on '57 ford.

'68 B25 Starfire (single)
'72 A65 Thunderbolt (twin (I'm sensing a pattern here..))
'78 XS750 Triple (Because I just can't get my hands on
a Rocket Three...)
'87 K100GS (four banger (Because NVT gave up too quick..)
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787505 10/19/19 4:59 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
3rd on the Ford. My dad had one. One of my favorite year Fords

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787516 10/19/19 7:51 pm
KC in S.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Foot pegs ???
He was a Dashing Young Man!!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH on the way to Japan!
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787536 10/20/19 12:05 am
Jon W. Whitley Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Welcome to the forum Shayne...you definitely came to the right place. BTW, my sisters name is Shayne, so cool name !

On that note, this has got to be one of the best, if not the best, period photos of a guy and his classic British bike from that time period that I can ever remember seeing !!

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787544 10/20/19 2:08 am
BritTwit Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I think Boomer is on to something. The front end is definitely 59 to 63. The fork boots and upper covers were introduced for the 1959 model year. The exhaust pipes are MCM or possibly Superior.
Bates seat and headlamp. The tires look to be Pirelli MT53. I'll check to see when these were introduced.
Make it look just like this. It's way cooler than stock.

Was this photo taken in San Antonio? If so, what part?

Coming to terms with your delusions, is the first step to sanity
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: BritTwit] #787583 10/20/19 1:59 pm
expresidente Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hy Shayne
Welcome on the board.
The taillight on your dads bike is called Sparto. It is a kind of an iconic item for bobbers and still cool on the right bikes. Originals are quite pricey but you can get reproduction stuff for a nice price.
Wish you well for your project.
Dieter

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: expresidente] #787585 10/20/19 2:03 pm
expresidente Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
By the way...
Cant see it on the pics, but from '58 on the engine should have an alloy head.
A 10s are good stuff...

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787642 10/20/19 11:04 pm
Jon W. Whitley Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Gordo in Comox] #787716 10/21/19 4:45 pm
S
Shayne Brown Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Thanks Gordo. I'm compiling the notes and appreciate your input!

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Boomer] #787717 10/21/19 4:47 pm
S
Shayne Brown Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Great info Bill. I might PM you a few more questions. Let me get through the rest of the comments and compile a list.

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Jon W. Whitley] #787718 10/21/19 4:50 pm
S
Shayne Brown Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley
Welcome to the forum Shayne...you definitely came to the right place. BTW, my sisters name is Shayne, so cool name !

On that note, this has got to be one of the best, if not the best, period photos of a guy and his classic British bike from that time period that I can ever remember seeing !!

Thanks Jon. He was a good guy. A pretty good combination of that Clint Eastwood "cool" and Marlboro man "tough". Hopefully, I can pull this bike together and have something similar to ride around from time to time. Tell your sister that Shayne in San Antonio says Hi!

Last edited by Shayne Brown; 10/21/19 5:34 pm.
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: BritTwit] #787719 10/21/19 4:53 pm
S
Shayne Brown Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by BritTwit
I think Boomer is on to something. The front end is definitely 59 to 63. The fork boots and upper covers were introduced for the 1959 model year. The exhaust pipes are MCM or possibly Superior.
Bates seat and headlamp. The tires look to be Pirelli MT53. I'll check to see when these were introduced.
Make it look just like this. It's way cooler than stock.

Was this photo taken in San Antonio? If so, what part?

Thanks BritTwit. The photo was likely taken in San Angelo, TX. I found another photo yesterday that isn't as clear that I'll upload today. I'm pretty sure it was taken in the driveway of the house I grew up in. Any other input you guys can get me that will help is appreciated. Share with anyone you feel can provide more details. Thanks again.

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787729 10/21/19 6:32 pm
L
larrymondelo Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
I sent a pm but I’ll post here also, I believe my project has everything you need to recreate that bike in picture except the handlebars,exhaust and lights. I will be back in San Diego next week and send you pictures of what I have.you have come to the right place, britbike is a great resource and you are welcome to share the pictures of what I have with the group. I think we all have high hopes for your project!

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787773 10/22/19 1:19 am
T
tridentdude75 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
in my opinion the car looks to be a 1961 or 62 Chevy Impala convertible.

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #787897 10/23/19 5:11 am
M
Mitch Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
M
the Ford is a '57. remote chance it is a 59... have to see the headlights to be sure

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #788137 10/25/19 3:25 pm
S
Shayne Brown Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hello again everyone.

Here is what I have compiled so far from the input above.

A10S Spitfire Scrambler 1957 late model or maybe 1958-1959 frame.
2 Gallon tank with stacked Rifles Badge
A10 Engine with Dynamo?
Lighting kit?
Rear fender Bobbed A10 with BSA side struts
Sparto Tail light
Bates seat?
Bates front light?
BSA Western handlebars
Exhaust MCM or Superior
Tires Pirelli MT53
Forks and Fork Boots and Upper Cover probably 59.
Full width front brake 8” used 58 on

What other things do I need to consider here?

Also, I have no idea what color the tank or the rear fender on this bike would be. The rear fender obviously isn't chrome so what color would that be? Painted silver?

What colors did the gas tanks come in for these years? The tone of blacks in the image make me think the tank is also black and chrome.

On that rear fender, exactly what fender do I need to locate and bob? None of the bobbed fenders I have seen look like this and the BSA fenders I have seen with the side struts sit WAY over the back wheel.

Thanks again for the help guys. As I start to work through this project, I'll create a build thread and keep everyone in the loop as to how it's going. Until then, more input and answers from the group are certainly appreciated.

Thank you.

S.

Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #788140 10/25/19 4:19 pm
Gordo in Comox Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Shayne: This is the type of tank badge shown in your photos.

click to enlarge

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I would think that the rear fender could be aluminum. The are holes in it that might help you figure it out. If you are going to recreate the bike you will need to look at the way the fender is mounted as it is not stock. The L shaped fender stay is mounted higher than normal and maybe without the mounting bracket that normally connects it to the frame. The photos below are a quick mock up to show you the normal mounting for comparison. The mounting in your photos could be a mixture of bits and not one of the L type brackets common to those machines.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #788156 10/25/19 7:44 pm
S
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Saved the pic of your dad on that beautiful bike!

"Don't trust your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain
Re: Help Me Identify this Bike/Components [Re: Shayne Brown] #788161 10/25/19 8:28 pm
C
chaterlea25 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Hi All,
It looks to me that the oil tank is a different colour to the frame? so the gas tank centre would match the oil tank and toolbox
So probably flamboyant red ?? Blue tank bikes seem to have black oil tanks (from a quick googling)

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership