Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Richrd
Richrd
Springfield Nebraska
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Sam Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Has anyone used one of the amp meters from India, if so what are the pros/cons and quality of them? Is the face glass or plastic?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
It's a nice looking copy but at anything other than a standstill the needle is unreadable. Glass.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
So, just as good as the originals then?

TJD Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
So just like a Lucas then? Many years ago I saw in Motorcycle mechanics tech tips page where somebody advised drilling a hole in the case of a Lucas ammeter and filling it with some clear non conductive oil, silicone oil or some such thing and that steadied up the needle.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Fill the bloody thing up with clear silicon, it's more permanent
OR just replace it with an ash tray..

D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
It fills the hole in the headlight.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Heat a piece of wire to make the hole. Drilling will leave plastic bits inside and jamb the needle. Use mineral oil or glycerin.

TJD Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Or just leave it, if it wobbles to the right then it is charging, to the left if not. That's what mine does.

D
Britbike forum member
Online Happy
Britbike forum member
D
It's more than a wobble. I jumps from the + stop to the - stop faster then the eye can see.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I put the two inch version of this one on my bike and It's steady like a rock. I think it's made in India and labeled made in England. Ammeter
Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Not sure which ones your talking about but I have two of the replica shrouded needle types that come in a green box. Fucking useless! They read perfectly well but have the somewhat annoying habit of going randomly open circuit and leaving you at the side of the road opening the headlamp with a coin to bypass them.

Rod

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth'

An interesting point given recent events.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Originally Posted by R Moulding

Not sure which ones your talking about but I have two of the replica shrouded needle types that come in a green box. Fucking useless! They read perfectly well but have the somewhat annoying habit of going randomly open circuit and leaving you at the side of the road opening the headlamp with a coin to bypass them.

Rod

Just like the Lucas ones eh?

If it's just for show (which is really all they are any good for) just stick both wires on one terminal.

HT is probably using a dynamo as opposed to an alternator, so they may be steadier, although the original one on my A10 was crap as well.

S
Sam Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
So my 10yr old original Lucas meter that has forever bounced around is about to go inop and the question is, what is the best one to replace it with. From all the responses it appears the India, made in England, ones are maybe comparable to the Lucas ones as they both fluctuate wildly. So do I bite the bullet and buy an India one or go with hopefully a made in England original one as these days I haven’t a clue where stuff is manufactored.

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
I have the one that says just "Amperes" and "Made in England". It is similar looking to the one that comes in the green Lucas box but is cheaper and marked differently on the face. It has a fully exposed white needle that has a ring moulded in at the base (part of the needle). This is actually quite steady. You have to be careful not to over tighten the fixing clamp on this one as the body of mine split all the way round. I had to glue it all back into the shell with some silicone. The clamp doesn't need to be tight at all.

Some types have a needle bearing that is adjustable. I had a very wobbly one that was a lot better after an adjustment. You do have to get it apart somehow and then glue it back together! Worth a go if you are about to chuck one away!

I would say that the whole ammeter thing is just pot luck as to how well it will work.

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 10/17/19 1:09 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'm running an alternator with Podtronics unit. The ammeter came from Ace Classics. It's not a Lucas replacement,ie. it didn't come in a Lucas box.
Seems to work just like a perfect ammeter should work. If it goes open, that will be a right royal pain in the okole, since it's mounted in my nacelle.
Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor