I hope you can give me a couple of tips re my 57 Venom. I currently have the top end apart including the removal of the piston but the bottom end will be staying together. I note from the reading the thread that you have made some improvements during your rebuild. Would you be kind enough to tell me what improvements you would suggest I make while I have the opportunity. I am hoping to improve the oil tightness if possible. Also did you paint the cylinder and if so what product did you use. Mine is very discolored and I want to improve the appearance.
Hi Stuart, apologies for not responding before, but I have not looked at his thread for a while.
Apart from tidying up the mating surfaces on the rocker box assembly by lapping on a glass plate as necessary and fitting an o-ring telescopic joint type push rod tube, I didn’t really do much else to the top end to improve oil tightness.
I sent the head to SRM to get new hardened valve seats fitted and insets fitted in the valve guides, as they can achieve a level of accuracy that I can’t with their tooling for head work (Serdi 100, I believe).
The other changes I made to improve oil tightness was to modify the timing side crankcase and oil tank to the later breather arrangement, but if you are not splitting the bottom end this will not be an option for you. I also fitted an o-ring primary chain so that I can run the primary case dry, as you will know these don’t really hold oil too well without a lot of attention.
I didn’t paint the cylinder, it is an alloy Wellworthy Alfin so just needed beadblast to bring up the finish.
Good luck with the rebuild, but as your post was in May this is likely now complete!