BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Tiger Dale
Tiger Dale
Waldorf, Maryland
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 169
reverb 62
NickL 49
Popular Topics(Views)
1,004,143 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,695
Posts679,611
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 346 guests, and 899 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hepolite bearings #786707 10/10/19 3:18 pm
B
bon Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
I am putting my a10 engine together and while the crank is on standard size and fine, the shell bearings do not look so good, and there is excessive clearance on the drive side, letting the rod rock too far side to side. So i want to replace the bearings. Any i see are the new hepolite brand. Are they any good quality wise ? When this engine is back together, i do not want to have to take it down again for a good many years.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786713 10/10/19 4:00 pm
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Depends who made them, they are not made by Glacier looking at the pics even though they show a Glacier number as the ref number. Wassells will know who made them as they now own the Trademark.

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786734 10/10/19 10:24 pm
C
chaterlea25 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Hi Bon,
SRM sell USA made Clevite shells, Presumably US dealers may also have them?

http://shop.srmclassicbikes.com/product/big-end-shells-10-a10-a50-a65-best-quality

John

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786752 10/11/19 1:49 am
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Historically Hepolite was the trademark used for pistons.
The AE Group contained the company Hepworth and Grandage who made Hepolite pistons.
The same group also contained Glacier who made shell bearings.

At the time our old bikes were made Wassell was a well respected company making accessories for motorcycles.
However the current day Wassell has at best a mixed reputation.
It gets parts made in various parts of the world.
It has a good reputation for its electronic ignitions--made for it by Vape in the Czech Republic.
Other parts are made in China and the quality of these is perhaps best described as variable.
For your A10 I would either follow Chaterleas advice or look for some NOS Glacier shells.
If you tell us where you are located then I am sure you will get some recommendations for suppliers.
HTH

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786769 10/11/19 7:31 am
N
NickL Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
CBS also has clevite/trimetal bearings, but listed for a65 so they will only be any good for you if it's a late a10 crank.
They are good bearings.

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786773 10/11/19 8:52 am
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
For a road bike the Clevite bearings are overkill and prone to more rapid wear than the Glacier Aluminium Tin, this is due to the soft overlay that stops the acids in the oil eating the lead from the bronze. Perfect for racing bikes as they are rebuilt more often and have the higher output the bronze can handle better, but Al/Sn will work better for road bikes over longer mileages.

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786788 10/11/19 12:29 pm
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Bon--recommend that you listen carefully to Kommando.
He used to work at Glacier and knows his nuts when it comes to shell bearings (and lots of other things as well).
HTH

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786874 10/12/19 1:54 am
N
NickL Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
Better tell SRM and CBS too.

Do Glacier still make these bearings? I thought they packed up years ago and all that was available was old stock stuff.

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786886 10/12/19 7:32 am
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The factory is still there, just needs someone to place an order.

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786898 10/12/19 1:30 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Tri or bi metal bearings are often debated on car forums...From engine guys with experience,they say no matter what bearing you use, crank journal preperation is the most important factor..Generally speaking, some claim tri metal are more tolerant of less than perfect cranks, but other say a bi metal is better... King bearing who offer only bi metal claim they have advantages over tri metal..Clevite says their tri metal bearings offered in about four different grades,are the best....
History...The shell bearing as we know it was invented by Allison Enginnering in the USA in the early 1920's orignally for aircraft engines. Rolls Royce bought sets of Gilmore bearings, named after the Allison head engineer. But RR was unable to make them successfully because the bearing material would not stick to the steel shell and had to buy a license from Allison to manufacture them properly....Quoted from V's for Victory, the story of the Allison V12 aircraft engine
Kommando, you might enjoy the book, it's a large very comhensive well documented book of a company with 1/10 the enginnering staff of Rolls Royce and their struggle to buil a reliable high power liquid cooled aircraft engine prior to and during WW2.Out of the strugge came engine practices still in use today... It's out of print for a few years and might be about $75 usd

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786912 10/12/19 5:05 pm
B
bon Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Thanks all. I will see if i can get any glacier bearings, its just any i seen so far were for the small journal crank, where as i have the large journal type.

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786913 10/12/19 5:17 pm
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
There is a feature on plain bearings called conformability, eg its ability to conform to a non perfect circle, with its soft overlay the Trimetal is a better conforming bearing than Al/Sn.

However the death of Trimetals is only a matter of time, there are now better materials eg sputter plain bearings which eat away the top end of its market, and the Al/Sn's are getting better each year which eats away the bottom. Once these meet its curtains, its an expensive process with a production line costing £30 to £40M and only a few experts in the process.

I will look out for the book,

Some history on Glacier

https://www.alpertonhistory.info/the-glacier-metal-company-limited/

Started by 2 guys from the US and they made Whitemetal bearings at first in the First World War, this would have been poured like the early Triumphs. Do not know when they started to make shell bearings.

They developed the first Al/Sn bearing in the 50's and called it AS15 as it contained 15% Tin, it was roll bonded onto the steel using pressure alone, no heat except from the action of the rolling press reducing the thickness of the 2 layers by 50%. This has been copied all over the world is is the most produced plain bearing material today.

Glacier was in direct competition with Vandervell who had licenced the Cast Trimetal process from Clevite.

To cater for customers who wanted the Trimetal bearing but to ensure they did not breech the patent held by Clevite they developed Sintered Trimetal bearings eg SL,SY,SX not the Cast of VP1,VP2 VP10

Owned by AE who then also later on bought Vandervell it became Glacier Vandervell.

Re: hepolite bearings [Re: bon] #786914 10/12/19 5:17 pm
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If you have the large journal then the A65 shells also fit. Velocette Motor Cycle Company who are currently spares distributors used Glacier as their supplier of Shell bearings.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership