BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
JTsmks
JTsmks
Orange Park Florida
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 169
reverb 62
NickL 49
Popular Topics(Views)
1,004,143 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,695
Posts679,611
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
56 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 340 guests, and 899 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! #786339 10/06/19 2:31 am
KC in S.B. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
So it looks like Pay Pal and the eBay have been targeted, and will have to pass on the increased fees to the seller. This in addition to their user fees of course. It’s legitimate, and I guess we’ve been getting away with no taxes on web sales for a Long time, but it caught up ! Anyhow, I’ve been requesting a “simple check” (plain old personal/easy check) for payment on parts sold lately, and no one has complained yet. Personally, I hope it catches on !!!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH on the way to Japan!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786356 10/06/19 1:04 pm
Al Eckstadt Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hi KC, How does that stop the fees? I thought they added the fees to buyer's price at checkout. I stopped selling tools on eBay in mid 2018 so I'm not familiar with the tax thing, but my purchases have been taxed. Amazon has also been adding tax on certain purchases.
Al

Al Eckstadt
Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786410 10/07/19 12:18 am
Jon W. Whitley Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by KC in S.B.
I guess we’ve been getting away with no taxes on web sales for a Long time, but it caught up ! Anyhow, I’ve been requesting a “simple check” (plain old personal/easy check) for payment on parts sold lately, and no one has complained yet.

I think it really sucks that politicians found a way to grab more money from us. However, I also remember the days of having to wait for a check or money order to come, make sure it was legit, then have to take it to the bank to get it cashed. This process could take a week to two weeks and then you would have to drive to the bank. Driving to the bank costs money in terms of gas used. Some of us might spend more or less than the other to make that happen too.

I started using PayPal in 1999 or 2000 and definitely recognized the convenience and affordability with a quickness and was sold on it immediately.

All that going to get a money order and writing checks and sending them off, or receiving them and all that jazz that comes with it, as outlined above, really sucks as much as a bunch of politicians finding ways to get our money.

But, on that note, are we really saving enough money by bypassing PayPal and eBay fees as well as paying taxes as opposed to having to spend the money on gas and time in order to go to the bank with the added wait on top of that ? I believe the impact is likely negligible and it is still a mega convenience as far as I'm concerned.

Just my 2c

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786414 10/07/19 12:32 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
I think what's happening is that the "loophole" of avoiding state sales tax with an online purchase, and then not declaring it later, is being closed ...

If you buy something locally in your state across the counter, sales tax gets collected by the seller from you and sent to the state.

AND if you order something from an online retailer that has a presence in your state, THEY are required to collect sales tax from you on your online order and send it to the state.

But (up to now) if you buy something from an online retailer in another state that has no presence in your state, they have not been required to collect sales tax from you and submit it back to your state. LEGALLY, you are supposed to declare all out-of-state online purchases on your State Tax Return, and send the sales tax for those items to the State. Nobody does that, of course, so the state loses the tax revenue.

I think that's coming to an end. It's sort of hard to kick about it, since what it really means is that we won't be able to cheat on our taxes any more when it comes to out-of-state purchases ....

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786444 10/07/19 10:16 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
yeah, online purchases were once ignored but some major retailers complained [and they just happened to be major political donators...go figure] and so for the last 18 months we have been paying GST [10% goods and services tax] in Australia on all purchases with a value of over $10. But its still usually cheaper to purchase online than to use 'rip off' highflyer businesses...they are no better than scammers.
As an example, I recently purchased a TV cabinet setup online for $275, the major furniture retail shop 'Harvey Norman' had the exact same unit [same brand, same design etc] for $799......how can they expect to stay in business with that sort of mark up?

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786488 10/07/19 7:00 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Now think of what this will mean to the small volume (think Britbike parts vendors) internet merchants that will now have to collect taxes for other states. Not only will you be paying a sales tax, but think of the book keeping chores and legal regulations that each and every internet sale will entail. In the long run we all end up paying more because there is that much more overhead built into the base costs. It will be become a giant [email protected]&k before too long, which will of course require state level intervention/oversight because a state like California would much rather have to go after a single entity, like New Hampshire, rather than chase down many small players. Right now the threshold for having to collect is pretty high, but rest assured that as time goes on it will come down.

Last edited by MikeG; 10/07/19 7:30 pm.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786513 10/07/19 11:42 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I personally never was really an eBay seller, however I would occasionally sell a few items here & there, to get rid of stuff and turn a couple $$. Not any more tho. It totally does Not pay to sell the occasional item. As a buyer, tho, I use eBay quite a lot still. It's a s good a retail marketplace as any. Sometimes myebay "item" arrives in an Amazon or Home Depot box, tho.... Amazon or Home Depot receipt/packing list/shipment info included , so guess who's interloping into eBay retail territory nowadays, eh?

As for Paypal, (owned by eBay or vise versa) I like them, I've been "verified" member since the early 2000s and it has definitely transformed buying and money exchanging. Sure, they have fees too, but far asI'm concerned PayPal fees are worth it for the convenience factor alone.
As for paper checks, I rarely use them, IFI have to write a check, I'll go to the Post Office and spend a buck or so on a USPS money order.

At the end of the day, it's always sumpin, boys, Whatcha gonna do.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: ricochetrider] #786516 10/08/19 12:07 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
I personally never was really an eBay seller, however I would occasionally sell a few items here & there, to get rid of stuff and turn a couple $$. Not any more tho. It totally does Not pay to sell the occasional item. .

I've found the same thing. I keep thinking that it would be a good thing to auction off surplus parts, tools, etc on eBay. Get a little extra money for stuff that it's just impossible to sell locally at a flea market or whatever.

But I'm doing it less and less. You've got to get pictures, transfer them onto the system, upload them, create a "Sell" entry. Then you've got to get a box, packing material, pack it up, weigh and measure it, and get a shipping estimate. Then you've got to be hanging around a computer on the day the auction ends so you don't leave the successful bidder hanging. Then you've got to process-in the buyer's money, and get the package to the PO or the UPS depot and send it off.

And all this might be for a pair of mufflers or carbs worth $35.

Some people apparently are able to make it all work, and find that the effort is worth it, cause there's billions of dollars going through there ....

Lannis

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786543 10/08/19 5:01 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The first online marketplace I used was Digibid. They were just for pro audio gear. This was before Paypal, and they kept your payment information in your profile. Super simple transactions, you won the auction and payment was automatic.
Sales tax does figure in to many online transactions these days, especially with neighboring states which have reciprocity agreements with Tennessee. And anything actually sold by Amazon will involve sales tax, as it probably ships from a distribution center in Nashville. I can deal with that, as Tennessee has no income tax and collects most revenue from sales tax.
I only sell small things on FleaBay, things which I can offer free shipping. AIUI they collect a higher rate on shipping charges than on the purchase price. Besides, the post office has no pre-paid boxes which fit 19" rack-mount equipment.
I'm afraid the state will collect its due one way or another. They even collect from vendors at Barber now.
And, I'm afraid the marketplace will continue to demand ever greater fees until the small seller can no longer continue.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: DavidP] #786567 10/08/19 1:39 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by DavidP

I only sell small things on FleaBay, things which I can offer free shipping.......

........And, I'm afraid the marketplace will continue to demand ever greater fees until the small seller can no longer continue.

One question and one point ... Point - the "fees" issue for online transactions for small bidders might keep the swap-meet and autojumble world (such as at MidOhio, OVBSAOC, etc) alive and well, since there are no fees or taxes there. Maybe.

Also, I've been wondeing whether it might be better, when I list parts on eBay, to set the initial bid at the shipping price and offer free shipping. On the one hand, maybe people would rather see the initial price at $0.99 and then see $15.80 shipping tacked on later ... OR is it more tempting to see an item priced at $16.00 initial bid and say FREE SHIPPING?

I know that when I buy ammo or other commodities online, FREE SHIPPING is often the deal-maker ....

Lannis

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786571 10/08/19 2:33 pm
KC in S.B. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
It’s been an interesting read above. I guess it looks like I don’t want to pay my taxes.......... which of course is a responsibility we all have.
I view this whole BB activity, MY BB activity, as a Hobby. I buy parts pay taxes. I’d like to move them to others, 50% of the time for $- 0 - , and not see the effort get taxed.
More and more, its a battle to justify the effort it takes to unload my shed to someone else’s shed. I see folks trying to do this as lot sales. I do not see success often.
Photo the Item, list the item, email back and forth, arrange payment, find a box and pack the item, Deal with “postage”, get the box off, tell the buyer its coming,
The dumpster is so easy!! My conscious is not, and some stuff is just too good to trash!

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: Lannis] #786572 10/08/19 2:37 pm
BritTwit Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Lannis
I've also contemplated free shipping. But what happens when that tank that bought a $20.00 bid needs to go to Canada at a $60.00 shipping cost? I've talked with several friends that have switched to the Facebook marketplace sites and are happy with it.
For me, the switch would force me to break my resolve to be the last person on earth to have a facebook profile.

Coming to terms with your delusions, is the first step to sanity
Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: KC in S.B.] #786573 10/08/19 3:39 pm
KC in S.B. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
++++ 1. On the No Face Book exposure. I guess that’s just 1 more reason why I’m fighting the Luddite battle.

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: BritTwit] #786574 10/08/19 3:42 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by BritTwit
Lannis
I've also contemplated free shipping. But what happens when that tank that bought a $20.00 bid needs to go to Canada at a $60.00 shipping cost? I've talked with several friends that have switched to the Facebook marketplace sites and are happy with it.
For me, the switch would force me to break my resolve to be the last person on earth to have a facebook profile.

Well, you'd have to specify free shipping to the continental USA, I suppose.

And as long as I'm around, you won't be the last guy to not be on Facebook...! Just no motivation for it on my side...

Lannis

Re: More “FEES”, &^$#@#GFGH*((*^$%%$*&YH. !! [Re: Lannis] #786624 10/09/19 5:03 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis

One question and one point ... Point - the "fees" issue for online transactions for small bidders might keep the swap-meet and autojumble world (such as at MidOhio, OVBSAOC, etc) alive and well, since there are no fees or taxes there. Maybe.

Maybe. The swap meet at BIBR is very small these days, virtually no deals on used parts. I don't even wanna know what Barber charges for a space, and they collect sales tax now. I heard a few vendors grumble that it's just not worth it anymore.
Originally Posted by Lannis

Also, I've been wondeing whether it might be better, when I list parts on eBay, to set the initial bid at the shipping price and offer free shipping. On the one hand, maybe people would rather see the initial price at $0.99 and then see $15.80 shipping tacked on later ... OR is it more tempting to see an item priced at $16.00 initial bid and say FREE SHIPPING?

I know that when I buy ammo or other commodities online, FREE SHIPPING is often the deal-maker ....

I don't make my living selling on eBay so I don't really worry about what attracts more buyers. I offer free shipping and set the price accordingly. If I make a few bucks from a part I don't need I'm happy. I can spend the Paypal balance on parts I do need.
Oddly enough, many places I shop for firearms offer free shipping on everything BUT guns and ammo.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership