BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Tiger Dale
Tiger Dale
Waldorf, Maryland
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 173
reverb 62
NickL 49
Popular Topics(Views)
1,004,076 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,695
Posts679,607
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 370 guests, and 926 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Barber 2019 #785395 09/25/19 10:39 am
Mike Baker Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Leaving for the big show a week from today. I've heard there's over 600 entries this year. Something for everyone that likes motorcycles that go fast.
Finished up with the B50 last night. Aside from oil changes, I re-geared it. I think we will finally get this right with 19-49. 53 was too short and 46 too tall.
Barber is a fairly tight track but it does open up in the back section- we will see.
The Triumph is almost finished, changed out the race tire I had on the front to the old Continental that was on there. That should calm down the front end to only mildly annoying. I've got an Avon 90/90/18 in the garage to mount this winter when I replace the front wheel. Just couldn't get to it this year.
Pat McGraw will be on the Classic 60's grid with his 500 Triumph. Brand new Hall Bros. motor with a trick looking head. Anxious to see it run.
So far the weather looks good and the grids are looking pretty full for my races so it should be fun! Y'all stop by and say hi if you're in the neighborhood

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Barber 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #785406 09/25/19 1:23 pm
B
bodine031 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Have big Fun and be safe!!! Say hi to Patman for us (BIR-SSC) is he playing monkey also??

Re: Barber 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #785407 09/25/19 1:57 pm
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Mike,
I assume you run your B50 in "500 Sportsman." What modifications have you done to it?
Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: Barber 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #785423 09/25/19 6:08 pm
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
We'll be watching from the back straight. Wave to us when you win. laugh

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Barber 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #785496 09/26/19 10:30 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The Bfitty is all stock. Made a screaming 25 HP on the dyno. I run it in the Lightweight Production class.
It came to me as a half finished race bike project, it's 80 year old owner couldn't finish it and he wanted to see it on the track.
At very least, this winter I'll take the compression plate out of it, and possibly get with Ed V to see how much he'll lighten my pockets for go faster parts.

Re: Barber 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #785500 09/26/19 1:23 pm
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Mike,
If you know anyone interested in a B50 "Sportsman" race bike, I have decided to let mine go. Originally built by Ted Hubbard and Beno Rodi, I have completely rebuilt the motor using a Carillo rod and JE piston,, titanium valves, Megacycle X4 cam, etc. This bike was my introduction to land speed racing (108 mph 1st time out).
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: Barber 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #786528 10/08/19 1:37 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Nice looking B50! You wouldn't need a rider for that would you?

The big show is over for another year and it was a good one for me. But boy howdy it was hot. Wed- Sat was near if not 100 degrees F during the afternoons. Even trying to do as little as possible in the shade was enough to sap energy. Back to back practices? Fugitaboudit!
Brand new pavement on the track, smooth as a baby's butt and when it was hot, sticky as hell. My bikes loved it, and me too. The Triumph has a way of telling me when it has had enough and thats fine but I haven't found that in the B50 yet. On that new pavement, I kept carrying more and more corner speed and it ate it up. It's a really fun ride. Now for some more motor....
Saturday's races- Lightweight Production- Had my usual lousy start and immediately had to play catch up. Had the little 125 buzz bombs start in the wave in front of us so things get interesting a couple of laps into the race. Little 2 stroke roadblocks. This time it seemed to work to my advantage as I was able to make up some lost time on the race leaders who got into traffic. The BSA is down on power compared to the 350 Honders but it seems to corner way better and I got up with the leaders pretty quick and I got into a real race with the 2nd place guy. We traded places a couple times and at the finish I was #3. Still a podium finish though and a really fun race.
Classic 60's 650- Had my usual lousy start bla bla but didn't waste much time catching up. From about the second lap to the finish there were 4 650 Triumphs that didn't have much more than 50 feet separating them. I reeled in Greg Tomlinson first and motored him out of turn 5 (my favorite spot) and set up on Dave Spanger. Got him on the back stretch. Next lap, I think, I was in a wad of bikes heading into the museum corner, and here he came by me- in the dirt! He wound up ahead of the rest of us coming out of that corner. Gut move! Wasn't too long that I had him again. The target was on Stan Keys at this point. He's an excellent rider- rides BEARS too. Has a beautiful Triton. Anyway, chased him for a good long time, never looking back to see who might be stalking me, I could catch him but couldn't pass. After studying for a lap or 2 I decided where to make a move and holy [***] it actually worked. Temporarily. On the last big long sweeper on the last lap he dove under me just like Jake H did to me last year. The track tightens up after that until it opens up for the front straight and finish line. We powered out of the last left and drag raced to the finish, he had me by .2 seconds and I had my second podium of the day. BIG fun!
It rained Saturday night and sunday morning, it seemed to me a different track. The B50 was pretty squirrely until I got some good heat in the tires but by then I was a solid mid pack contender. And did not race the 650 in the afternoon. My work schedule for Monday demanded an early start and I'm too old to drive all night and function properly the next day.
But there's next year......

Re: Barber 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #786568 10/08/19 1:47 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
You do a good job in vintage racing and the blow by blow race description...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Barber 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #786763 10/11/19 4:29 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Great seeing you again Mike!
I got to watch the 650 race, but after years on night shift I just can't manage to get up and down to the track for the early races.
Blame it on the late night slow races in the campground. laugh

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership