BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Tiger Dale
Tiger Dale
Waldorf, Maryland
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 173
reverb 62
NickL 49
Popular Topics(Views)
1,004,076 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,695
Posts679,607
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 370 guests, and 926 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Champ retires #786509 10/07/19 11:16 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
After 5 consecutive land speed records at two tracks,the Triumph I built from a pile of junk on the floor is comfortable in our living room...A collection of hillbilly engineering with a lot of home made parts..What I learned from this engine spilled into my T140D with a measured 9.2 compression that runs without pinging on 90 octane pump gas and runs away from any stock T140...
The speed record torch has been passed to Kevin Roberts..................

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786519 10/08/19 12:41 am
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
That's a good run.....and well-earned retirement!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge here on britbike that you have accrued from your experiences...

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786525 10/08/19 1:30 am
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Congrats on your records and sorry to see you're retiring the old missile! Will we see you back with another horse in the race?
Tom
P.S. I've suggested displaying one of my toys on the ledge in the kitchen above the cabinets but got "no way" for an answer.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786539 10/08/19 2:44 am
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
HB, When I was up to Hammondsport for Wintercycle Therapy, there was another LSR Triumph there that I believe credited you for building. You've never spoken about that bike, that I've noticed anyway.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786549 10/08/19 7:00 am
S
Steven A Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
And what might those learnings be?

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786560 10/08/19 11:37 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
KK,My 01 Sportster in on the lift in my shop..There's a possibility of 950 cc's and 100 RWHP....Maybe.....Mark,I only built two bikes, the one in the photo here and the dual engine bike...learnings?, already mentioned.. wink
I'm not the best engine mechanic, in fact I would rather do stuff like front swaps or building rear set controls from parts salvaged from other bikes...So I kept the bike simple and reliable by building a somewhat mild "inexpensive" engine using a stock but nitrided crankshaft and stock primary with 6 Tiawan cluch plates recomended by John Healy....I spent time getting the combustion chamber squish or quench as tight as possible using low dome MAP 10.5 pistons, something no one seem to pay attention to .Bolted on a stock T120 head. NOS Sifton 390 cams that are just about the same as T140 intake cams..The original engine machine work was done at a local shop with no Triumph experience. Bike ran 120 in the standing start mile with Amals and literaly no tuning...Next year I had Rob Hall do a little work on the head.The bike went on the dyno to optimize the jetting of the 34MM Mikuni flat slides.Nothing was done to the timing or exhaust system while on the dyno..Speed jumped to 125 mph with 4.50 overall gearing.But the bike was running out of power before the finish.I thought it was not enough power to push through the air resistence but it really was geared incorrectly, the engine did not like more than 6950 rpm.On the dyno the engine made power to 7200 but the track is real life..Then up to Maine on the 1-1/2 mile running 127 with the same too low gearing.....Then the next year I retarded the intake cam timing to 107 degrees, cut two inches off the exhaust pipes,suddenly realized the gearing problem..Changed it to.4.28 overall gearing, fabricate different fuel tanks so the rider could get lower and it ran 133.1 at 6950 rpm in fairly calm air...
A younger friend was the rider and paid for much of the cost..No adjustments or repairs were ever done at the track other than one jet change.The bike came off the trailer, fresh race gas,and within one or two runs set a new record every time. Back on the trailer, party time...I believe my Triumph was the first Modified Production class 650 push rod gas class machine to be timed at over 130MPH on an LSR track..
The bike looked like this until the the gas tank change for it's final runs...I like this "look", very much a Triumph...On occasion the bike was ridden on the street for testing and just fun...and scary with just a rear brake...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com].

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786562 10/08/19 11:57 am
H
Hermit Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
H
Fabulous cast iron frying pan collection!

To paraphrase 'Shop Boy' - Fry 'em, don't hide 'em

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm
Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786566 10/08/19 1:30 pm
S
Stein Roger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
The figures belies your modesty Tony! clap
Well done so far, and I definitely look forward to see what you're up to next. Posting Sportster stuff on here might prove awkward, but let us know were you post it, and many of us will follow you for sure.

Regards
SR

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hermit] #786569 10/08/19 1:58 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Hermit
Fabulous cast iron frying pan collection!

To paraphrase 'Shop Boy' - Fry 'em, don't hide 'em

My wife is the collector and user of old kitchen stuff...In a month the T140D will be in the living room until next spring.......I won't really post any detailed Sportster stuff here...I am not so modest as I know my abilities and not to get in over my head...

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786575 10/08/19 4:31 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
The thrill of speed on the speed record bike HAD to be exciting, if only to make the rider ignore the pain from that tiny, thin seat!

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Irish Swede] #786578 10/08/19 4:55 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kevin Roberts sits on a bare aluminum pan...My rider accidently shot a framing nail through his thumb with an air nailer. I mean it went through, he pulled it out with a pliers and never saw a doc.Cavemen dressed in animal skins riding riding bikes instead of dinosaurs..

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786583 10/08/19 5:43 pm
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
My rider accidently shot a framing nail through his thumb with an air nailer. I mean it went through, he pulled it out with a pliers and never saw a doc.Cavemen dressed in animal skins riding riding bikes instead of dinosaurs..

One of my best friends has a carpentry framing business and a guy on his crew did EXACTLY the same thing about 4-5 months ago.....Don't think he went to a doc either. My friend told me his back was turned and after he heard the nail gun go off, he heard a loud: "OOOoohHHhhhhhh BABY!!!" laugh

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: The Champ retires [Re: JubeePrince] #786596 10/08/19 10:14 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Working on bikes can cause a bit of blood now and then.....Or worse, damaging a new part...,Or my race here falling off the bike lift while I watched because I know better than to catch a 330 pound bike, no damage.... Actually I don't know what it weighs...It's a polished bare metal T140 frame,two Triumph wheels and front fork assembly, 5.5 amp AGM battery. No stator or rotor.

The night before the bike and our first race, The 71 T120 OIF sprung a serious oil leak on the frame tube ...The bike was at the riders place being loaded when the leak was noticed...His attemps to fix it made it worse. But he would not throw in the towel..He modified a beat up small after market tank to fit...It only leaked slightly...We drove 8 hours o the mile track in Ohio..We had no idea what was going on but just followed the guy in front...The bike's very first run was 118 mph and a new track record...He made a total of 6 runs but after the first three he started missing fourth gear..One run he went 108 in third gear...back home a few weeks later I strpped down the engine for inspection. I had left out the sludge trap tube on purpose (John Healy yelled at me lol) Steel debris from the scabbed on oil tank was sticking through the journal oil holes.There were no screen filters on the oil supply that would have held back the large pieces..The bearing shells were badly scored. The crank journals had bearing material on them...I polished the jounals by hand to remove the bearing metal. The nitrided crank was undamaged.. Best $100 I ever spent....
Our first win, the oil tank can be seen behind the rider leg..I'm showing the time slip, I can't see the camera because I forgot to remove my reading glasses....Huge party that night...reports of dancing with intoxicated women in a hillbilly bar and other stuff....
See those cute turn outI fabricated at the end of the exhaust pipes? A dirt track car friend told me that cost a few MPH....I sawed them off, the bike ran 2 mph faster..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786611 10/09/19 1:48 am
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
...hello Tony; keep on going man congrats; that thing about you and Kevin is exactly like Munro and few others; wrenching with what they have and winning...
The bike looks very nice; great stance; may be the rider is too big.
Absolutely incredible how he cranked the third gear to 108! I check the tachometer then listen the engine and at max 60MPH I just change to 4 gear. The noise is like I am torturing the engine and I do not wanting to rebuild now. Is my only transport; hence this other question about all these top speeds: How about one of these engines to use on the freeway as a commuter? You know; strong mid range; like I am cruising; passing some cars etc; the engine running for 2 or 3 hours. Or is like the 100 meters run and the marathon runs?
May be these engines cannot handle mid range cruising for few hours?
I am very interested due to even the camshafts companies think that all are in the need of top speed but no top speed on the freeways; laws apart; is very dangerous so there is no dedicated camshaft for strong mid power commuting or riding.
Seems that most ride these bikes at 60MPH!; man that is the cruising speed of my 1948...c mon and few others go to the tracks etc and put them at top speed

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786630 10/09/19 10:29 am
Mike Baker Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
That bike has a lot of life left in it. I predict it won't be all that long before it sees some form of competition again

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786637 10/09/19 12:37 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
Great, great picture!

All the joy of victory is in it!

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786640 10/09/19 1:10 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Yes, there is some talk of freshening the engine and going to Bonneville, but I hate long rides...... The bike name is Bucket List... The rider is a very successful real estate developer in Rochester NY. I was an electrical contractor and worked on most of his commercial projects..We became friends and one day just sitting around we were joking about a "Bucket List" of things to do together...We thought about the Bunny Ranch in Nevada...And the cost of divorce because of it...By the way, their "Rock Star" treatment overnight was about $4000 for the two of us....Then we discussed a Nascar driving experience, or building an off road vehicle for the Baja races....I mentioned they do land speed racing in Ohio not too far away and it would be fun to build a bike....I had put together a few Triumphs from a pile of parts he had...So a race bike seemed like an easy thing to do. Of course I really had no clue about performace Triumphs so it was a learning experience. You can follow the bike build here from about 2013 in the competiton forum...In my usual way of doing things ,there are no plans, just start building something and hope for the best...To be honest,I learned more from Chevy V8 engine builders than any Triumph builders...As John Healy told me " most experienced builders only tell you one more thing than they thing you already know" That included John himself ,the late Pete Russell and Marino Perna from MAP cycle.... grin... I quickly found out I was on my own building the engine.

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786643 10/09/19 2:44 pm
kevin roberts Online Confused
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
[***] fire, if you stop messing with that thing how will i be able to keep stealing your ideas?

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: The Champ retires [Re: kevin roberts] #786644 10/09/19 3:17 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
[***] fire, if you stop messing with that thing how will i be able to keep stealing your ideas?

You have your own engine style with different stuff than mine...But the engine internals are nothing special, nitrided stock crank, roller bearings on both sides, R&R aluminum rods,MAP tight quench 10.5 forged pistons, Genuine Sifton #390 cams, R tappets refaced by hand, Smith Bros. chrome moly pushrods, Kibblewhite valves ,springs and guides, valve guide seals on intake and exhaust, Pazon Smartfire ignition, total loss electrical....And the mentioned Rob Hall head work....A mere 49 [email protected] rpm as measured on the eddy current Superflow dyno, equal to about 55 HP on a Dynojet dyno...40 ft lbs of torque with 90 percent of the torque still there at 7000 rpm...The bike is geared to cross the line at 6900 rpm where the sum of HP and torque is the highest....I believe if I geared it to about 4.15 rather than the current 4.28, on a good day it could run just a bit faster...The torque thing was not planned, it just happened due to my engine tuning, just luck....

Me being a bit tired after thrashing the bike on the dyno for two hours for tuning and durability testing...

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786652 10/09/19 6:09 pm
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
well, i still don't know how much horsepower i have in mine. i tried to to dyno it once and just seized the clutch pushrod.

i wind mine a bit more, so it crosses the line at 7275, with my gearing at 4.14.

and my crank has been nitrided twice.

lol

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: The Champ retires [Re: kevin roberts] #786655 10/09/19 7:46 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
My bike currently has no tach so the rpm is computed from the usual variables...When it did have a tach, it saw 8000 rpm in the lower gears at times and around 7200 in high when it was geared too low...

Re: The Champ retires [Re: Hillbilly bike] #786665 10/09/19 9:58 pm
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
my tach is down on the lower triple tree, where i can see it. that position is not legal for the MPG class, so if i go somewhere that cares i will have to take it off.

but i don't seem to use it anymore like i used to. mostly i just run the rpms up until they stop increasing, and then shift up. so long as i don't miss a shift, that seems to work.

i have a gopro camera that i can point at the tach during a run, which is a very good thing to do. but i haven't run it in the last motor iterations.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership