BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
wadeschields
wadeschields
NYC and York PA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TR5T damages engine cases
#785896 09/30/19 5:22 pm
Jeff K. Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The basket case 1973 TR5T that I have has a damaged RH engine case with a crack going to the Main shaft bearing on the output side. I know that the cases are matched, machined and then stamped as a set at the factory. But I noticed that in all of my parts books they are listed and sold each side separately. So is there a problem just getting another timing side case half and using it? I have a good Aluminum welder and machinist locally, but that will not be cheap and I am not sure how good the re-welded case would be compared to a replacement one. The case failure on the TR5T in the transmission area seems to a issue when they were rode extremely hard. I have seen a few of them.
Jeff

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: TR5T damages engine cases
Jeff K. #785901 09/30/19 6:31 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Probably not a good idea. But that never stopped me and I've mixed case halves with good results.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership