BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson, bikerboy
11023 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
DavidP 70
Rohan 64
koan58 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,151,318 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,987
Posts691,370
Members11,023
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
78 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 2,217 guests, and 981 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Project 39-1/2 Wards/Cagiva/Triumph Update #784428 09/16/19 2:08 am
Al Eckstadt Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Well - this project is still a very rough draft, but a lot of details have been worked out since I last posted. I had most of the last year too busy to do much work on the project, but this Spring I was able to spend more time on it. Just looking at these pictures you will notice the paint but not much else different. Most of the work I've done isn't easily visible unless I take a specific close up photo. The main reason it is painted is because I had a lot of time at my previous job. I took all the parts to work and used the "paint room". Trying not to scratch it while I work on it. I have a shelf where I can put the painted parts when I remove them.
So here's a few pics.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The refectors are from eBay - the front from a moped, rear from a Ducati including the mounting plate.
The headlight will be painted silver and the frame also - after its welded. Most of the fixtures are tack welded by me to be finish welded by Craig, who did the incredibly nice job on the swingarm.
The headlight is a Russian (Ural?) vintage 7 inch headlight. The style matches the Italian headlight which was only 5-1/2 inches. I installed a Hella halogen lens, the Cagiva speedometer, two new warning lights including a microprocessor charge warning light (the yellow lens has a red charge warning in it and will glow bright red when charge is low. The main control switch required some mods as well as some research just to figure it out. I had to reshape/remove material to make room for the warning light housings, also had to "squeeze" the metal bracket of the switch to fit.
I took the Cagiva speedometer apart, painted the faded needle and reset the odometer to zero. It is remarkable how many Cagiva parts I have been able to use.
Details that don't show in the photos include... electric components mounted under tank - Podtronic unit, ignition coil and condensors. Battery tray has been removed and relocated - just rearward of the carb air filter. I made a dummy battery of wood to help locate the correct position. PCV crankcase breather system is in place and includes a drain back to the oil tank. What oil tank? you say! Yeah this is a difficult part of the build that I will be tackling soon. The plan is to construct a custom fit tank of aluminum using as much available space as I can possibly find. I also want to put a spin on filter under the engine where there still some room left.
The head steady constructed with help from the forum earlier this year...
There's probably a bit more but it's gettin' late.
Al

Al Eckstadt
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Project 39-1/2 Wards/Cagiva/Triumph Update [Re: Al Eckstadt] #784480 09/16/19 3:58 pm
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
O
A good "special" is a pleasure to behold.

Re: Project 39-1/2 Wards/Cagiva/Triumph Update [Re: Al Eckstadt] #786757 10/11/19 2:22 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I have been working on the oil tank problem for a few weeks and it is looking like a solution is at hand. In July I bought a "lunchbox" Sportster oil tank at the AMCA meet in Trumansburg ($20 - about half or less than eBay). I brought it home and held it up to the bike and said "Naah, I don't think that's gonna work". Then, a few weeks ago I picked it up again and looked at it. I figured that it might just work. It would have to be cut to fit. I calculated the volume of the tank after cutting and found it would hold almost 2-1/2 quarts! Perfect!.
This is the space it has to fit into - between the side covers, behind the battery tray.
I cut a cardboard template to get a more accurate determination of size and found I could add at least 1/2" to my initial estimate.
Here's the tank marked for cutting. Note the two angles involved where the tool box side cover angles outward and downward. This photo shows the oil cap/dipstick which is in very good condition. The right side cover will get a small cutout to allow access to the dipstick. It will be nearly dead center to the top of the side cover.
Went upstairs in the garage and came down with a very suitable chunk of steel to cover the back of the tank. Cut this out on a table saw fitted with a metal cutting disc. Eye and ear protection as well as leather gloves recommended! Also make sure you remove all the wood sawdust from the saw first! Lots of sparks.
In addition to the oil tank there is room underneath for a remote spin on filter. The filter mount has a 3/4-16 thread and will accept short small filters like Fram PH8170 which is only 2-1/4" tall, although there's room for slightly larger filters.
So, making good progress. Will post again soon.
Al

Al Eckstadt
Re: Project 39-1/2 Wards/Cagiva/Triumph Update [Re: Al Eckstadt] #786783 10/11/19 11:06 am
Dick Harris Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Looking good Al. Dick

Re: Project 39-1/2 Wards/Cagiva/Triumph Update [Re: Al Eckstadt] #786784 10/11/19 11:10 am
K
konon Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Didn't know they made a special like that. Nice looking .

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
Re: Project 39-1/2 Wards/Cagiva/Triumph Update [Re: Al Eckstadt] #786854 10/11/19 8:24 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
konon. Thanks for the compliment. There is no "they". It is a one off special built from a Wards Mojave frame and parts from a Cagiva Alazurra. The Wards is truly remarkable for its metisse frame and styled sheet metal. I hope it is as fun to ride as it is to look at.

Al Eckstadt
Re: Project 39-1/2 Wards/Cagiva/Triumph Update [Re: Al Eckstadt] #788338 10/27/19 2:40 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I have the oil tank cut and welded. Maybe today I can work on the mountings. Top and bottom mounts will be in small rubber isolation mounts (more usage of parts from the Cagiva). Here the tank is clamped to the bench to make the cuts.
The Sportster oil tank has two standpipes. I only need one, the other being in the cut off side. The tank has a standpipe for oil return, an oil feed that stands about 3/4" off the floor (not visible here) of the tank, as well as drain and fill plugs. I also added a pipe plug at the top as a vent to atmosphere and PCV oil return, visible in one of the below photos. All the fittings are 1/8 pipe thread.
Preparing to braze the backing plate to the tank.
This went pretty well - until I pressure tested it! I had a couple leaks on one side and found a very tiny leak at one of the original tank welds. Closed them off, making my welds a little messy in one area - but it won't show when all is done.
Propping the tank into position using wood blocks and a magnet to keep it in place. You can see the messy part where the leaks showed up.
When the side cover goes on it will get a cutout to access the oil tank fill plug. I have a piece of silver-gray rubber edging that will line the cutout.
Thanks for lookin'. More later.

Al Eckstadt
Re: Project 39-1/2 Wards/Cagiva/Triumph Update [Re: Al Eckstadt] #788353 10/27/19 4:49 pm
J
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Fascinating build, Al. You've combined an attractive, intriguing, and workable mix of components with excellent build quality. Good on ya!

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership