BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Grin
Grin
Fife,Scotland, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Richard77, Jon law, Honey Badger, puffinpower, Mr.Paul
10905 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 102
quinten 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,180 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,044
Posts682,911
Members10,905
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (Alan_nc), 355 guests, and 783 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build #784106 09/13/19 1:24 am
Magnetoman Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
And now for something completely different, as Monty Python might say. A search of the 'Projects' forum didn't turn up anything similar to what will follow in this thread, which either means no one will care about what I will post, or that (I hope) it's just that no one has documented such a project before. I also searched the web without finding anything close to what will follow.

Anyway, on last year's Cannonball the Big D Cycle team had a flotilla of trucks, trailers, and tents along with a platoon of mechanics to support their three riders (and me, in a time of need in the wilderness of Pierre SD, for which I am quite grateful). Another team had a full-size bus towing a huge, double-deck trailer with internal elevator. But, aside from those and a few other mobile factories, there also were thirty or so "reasonable-size" support trailers that served their teams quite nicely, and certainly were better for the purpose than our U-Haul truck.

During the evenings I took photographs and made notes of the various useful features I saw. Although no single trailer had all of the features I thought would be useful for my purposes, all could be incorporated in a 6'x12' enclosed cargo trailer.

OK, pausing for a few definitions:

--By "reasonable-size" I had decided that for my purposes an enclosed 6'x12' trailer was optimum although 6'x10' (a bit too small) or 6'x14' (unnecessarily long) could be acceptable. Of course, if your purposes are different, your optimum size might be as well.

-- By "my purposes" I mean a trailer into which two bikes can be easily loaded (possibly three with some creative loading), along with spares, supplies, and tools for hauling hundreds of miles from here for at least several days' worth of riding. Up to two additional bikes fit in the pickup bed so this would allow hauling more bikes and friends than I even have friends...

-- Although "my purposes" doesn't necessarily mean riding in the Cannonball again, customizing a trailer according to the notes I took means it would be quite nice for that as well. Everything needed for a lengthy Cannonball-type ride would be in the form of add-on items (e.g. pop-up awning, bike hoist, etc.), not intrinsic to the customized trailer.

Although from time to time over the past year I considered horse trailers (which are in much greater abundance around here), one of them would have taken a lot of work to enclose (leaving toolboxes and spare $25k Gold Stars visible to outsiders doesn't seem like a good idea). Anyway, slow and steady wins the race and last week I got a great price on the optimum-for-me 6'x12', which is now parked in my driveway ready to be customized with tie down points, workbench, tool boxes, lighting, etc.

[Linked Image]

Details of the modifications as I make them is what this thread will be about. So far all I've done to it is replace the fairly new, but UV-cracked tires with new ones, but items are on order and modifications are now about to start. However, I should note up front that this thread is going to take months to play out. All that I need for immediate purposes have a way to tie down two motorcycles. Once I've taken care of that I'll then take my time to customize it with all the features I want (bright LED lighting, sturdy workbench, cabinets, etc.).

As a hint of what is to come, the next two images are scale drawings of some of the features of my current, tentative layout. The strips in green are sections of E-Track. The three sections on the floor will let me hold two -- possibly three -- bikes, and are the only features of the design that I'm committed to for now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784110 09/13/19 1:48 am
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
Whats the planed tow vehicle ?
Is trailer weight a consideration ?

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784111 09/13/19 2:01 am
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I can fit 4 or 5 bikes in my 6x12, at an angle.

I bought track system tie-downs where you can put the rings almost anywhere on the floor, also put one along each wall to lash down upright gear.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784112 09/13/19 2:03 am
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
One of these days, I'm going to build fold-down bunks, one per wall... A buddy hung his hammock corner to corner, with 2 of us on cots before...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784113 09/13/19 2:04 am
T
tridentv Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
T
I would suggest that you wire and rewire using "marine grade" wire and fittings. Grainger, Pacer and others carry the stuff.

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: tridentv] #784114 09/13/19 2:32 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
Whats the planed tow vehicle ?
Is trailer weight a consideration ?
I'll use a Ford F350 to tow it. Horses weigh ~3x more than motorcycles so without looking it up, since we bought the truck specifically for towing a two-horse trailer (which it does quite nicely), I know it has the towing capacity for the 2990 lb. GVWR of the cargo trailer.

Originally Posted by GrandPaul
I can fit 4 or 5 bikes in my 6x12, at an angle.
I know I could fit more in if that alone were my goal in configuring the trailer, but I'm happy with two (maybe three in a pinch).

Originally Posted by GrandPaul
A buddy hung his hammock corner to corner, with 2 of us on cots before...
For me, roughing it is staying at a hotel without 24-hour room service...

Originally Posted by tridentv
I would suggest that you wire and rewire using "marine grade" wire and fittings.
Agreed. Also, the truck's charging circuit on the trailer connector is fused for 20 A so I'll be using 10 AWG wire (rated for 30 A) to supply power.

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784125 09/13/19 7:24 am
F
franko Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
You might find some ideas in this thread to use on your trailer https://advrider.com/f/threads/encl...ion-to-motorcycle-hauler-camper.1335754/

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784176 09/13/19 5:13 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by franko
You might find some ideas in this thread ...
Thanks very much for posting that link. I'm not locking myself into "non-changeable" alterations as long as possible in case new ideas arise, so please do post relevant threads you come across. Unfortunately, I went through all 7 pages of that link but didn't come away with any new ideas that are useful for me.

In the end he built his trailer as a mobile camping kitchen, with hauling a single motorcycle almost as an aside. Further, he will be hauling a modern bike so the storage space for tools and spares is somewhat more limited that that which might be required to keep a pair of old bikes running for a week (and, even then, he immediately lost one of his cabinets to his wife's pots and pans).

It's interesting that early on he discovered the welds holding his trailer together were awful, but despite that he spent so much time and money on the cosmetics. He built beautiful wood cabinetry for his kitchen, but wherever possible I intend to use steel for its strength in smaller cross sections. Space is at a premium so every 2x4 piece of wood whose job can be done by 2x2 (or 1x1) steel tubing is that much more space for holding things. Also, while I don't plan for my construction to be too sloppy, I'm not going to spend the time required to make the interior nearly as pretty as his. His interior is a candidate for a feature in 'Home and Garden Magazine'. Mine won't be.

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784215 09/14/19 1:08 am
Tridentman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Interesting project, MMan.
Almost a year ago I bought an enclosed trailer and refurbed and modified it to suit my purposes ( which are different from MMans).
I made some notes as I went and will post them when I get back home from my current trip in a few days time.
I ended up by buying a ten year old 7 X 10 with a V front.
My objective was to build a trailer capable of taking one, two or three solos or one sidecar outfit.
Just a couple of points which strike me immediately:
Firstly to take a sidecar outfit I needed to have a 7’ width trailer.
Secondly to take one, two or three solos I decided to have four lengths of E track running the length of the trailer.
With three lengths then if carrying just one bike you want it central and preferably not sitting with its tires on E track.
Just my personal thinking of course.
Looking forward to an interesting thread, MMan——could this be longer and arouse more interest than the 1928 Ariel thread?

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784216 09/14/19 1:15 am
R
Rich B Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
R
Ok mm.....now ya gotta hear trailer gospel according to Rich....

I have had a 6X10 with barn doors since 2007. It came with storage/bench in the front and a side cabinet on the LH side to haul stuff. It actually amazes me how much crap I can stuff in the trailer and haul up to 3 bikes. Anyone who has camped with our group at VMD or Ohio Valley can attest.

I eventually started using it as a sorta camper and it works well. So...in no particular order based on your description of your plans....

If the trailer doesn’t have a roof vent...add one, preferably with a fan. Add an external cover to protect the lid. These are available from a lot of sources, I use a Camco vent cover. The cover protects the vent lid from sun and wind, it also allows the vent to be open in rain.

Add shore power. You won’t need anything elaborate, I use the 13A port from these people
https://www.mictuning.com/13amp-125...-cord-amp-water-resistant-cap_p0536.html
Inside, I have a 3 terminal power strip with a breaker. You will appreciate having 120V power inside

Add a battery for 12V. Having power for LED lights, the fan in the roof, charging phones, etc is nice. You can use a simple 2A battery charger to keep the battery up. Even add a small inverter for limited 120V off the battery.

I power the trailer (which has a fridge now) with a small Honda 1000W generator. It really is nice arrangement.

Consider simple headliner/insulation. you need to cut the heat load from the roof. Your local home improvement store will likely have some options.

Get at least 3 LED lights for the roof. Tie them into the battery. That should be adequate in that size trailer.

You may consider a window in the man door. There are a lot of choices in small windows with lots of tint and a screen to fit that door. The window with the sliding window and roof vent does wonders for ventilation. Trust me, you will need it. You can make a curtain for it with a couple of eye hooks, a bungee cord, and an old hand towel. One of my prouder efforts at redneck engineering laughing

A white board on one of the rear doors does wonders for writing stuff down when messing with bikes

If you want a simple door larch for the inside of the man door, a simple gate latch from the hardware section of Lowe’s or HD does a cheap, crude job of providing an inside latch.

You may consider a storage shelf above your bench at the front, full width. It is amazing how much you can store in that area against the roof cap area at the front.

Paint the inside white to make it bright.

Cover the floor.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Rich B] #784223 09/14/19 1:54 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Firstly to take a sidecar outfit I needed to have a 7’ width trailer.
One should never say ‘never’, but having had a sidecar outfit 40 years ago I’ll never have another.
preferably not sitting with its tires on E track.
What issue concerns you with the tires sitting on the track?
could this be longer and arouse more interest than the 1928 Ariel thread?
I don’t know about that. With over 500k views that one will be hard to top. On the other hand, a motorcycle trailer should be of more interest than an obscure, 90-year old machine.
I made some notes as I went and will post them when I get back home from my current trip in a few days time.
I'll be looking forward to those notes.
Originally Posted by Rich B
I eventually started using it as a sorta camper
Rich, thanks very much for your suggestions. The vents, floor covering, 110V power connector, cabinet above work bench, etc. that you list are all on my Master Plan. However, our needs are somewhat different. If I ever end up sleeping in that trailer it only will be because plans for the evening have gone disasterously wrong, so items like windows and inside door locks aren’t what I’ll want.

p.s. since there isn't any other thread on this topic, by all means feel free to post ideas for motorcycle trailers here even if the features are inconsistent with the one I'm constructing. In no way would that be hijacking the thread.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 09/14/19 3:40 am. Reason: p.s.
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784255 09/14/19 2:05 pm
gunner Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Here are my thought on building a trailer:-
- with old bikes leaking oil, the floor could get very slippery, additionally the weight of a bike on a center/side stand could punch through a soft floor. Don't know what would be best as a floor maybe alloy chequer plate ?
- depending on how long/short the rear ramp is, it may be difficult to haul the bikes on/off the trailer, maybe an electric winch could be fitted to help?
- I would fit a couple of disposable paper towel holders, these would be very handy for maintaining the bikes and oily mess they make. Might also be worth adding a small hand basin if possible.
- For aerodynamics I was wondering if the front of the trailer could be more rounded or "V" shaped, this may help save fuel and could also serve as additional storage internally.
- consider fitting some strong brackets attached to the walls for tie downs etc. This will help ensure the bikes are securely tied down during their journey.
- Given the propensity for old bikes to self ignite, add a couple of fire extinguishers internally, also what about adding a smoke detector wired into the drivers cab?
- Not sure how the 110v power will work if your;e stuck in the middle of nowhere without access to mains power, maybe an idea is to use an inverter wired to the truck battery, I guess you would need to ensure a big truck battery and alternator to keep it supplied.
- add some containers for oily waste and general garbage.
- is there any space on the roof for adding a roof box? This could come in handy for additional storage.

Anyway just my tuppence worth.

Last edited by gunner; 09/14/19 2:12 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784263 09/14/19 3:55 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by gunner
maybe an electric winch could be fitted to help?
Not sure how the 110v power will work if your;e stuck in the middle of nowhere
All your suggestions are good ones, but a couple of comments on two of them. The bed of my pickup will hold two bikes, and the trailer I'm building also will hold two. However, the advantage of the trailer for loading bikes is it is much lower. For my truck I've mounted an electric winch to a bracket that slips into place at the front of the bed, connects via jumper cables to the truck's battery, and slowly hauls a bike up the two 6-ft. ramps ganged together (because just one ramp results in a too-abrupt angle at the top) Without the winch and extended ramps, two people and a running start are required to get a bike to the necessary altitude. In contrast, the trailer is low enough that one person should easily be able to push it up the ramp even from a standing start.

As for 110V power, in my case I won't use the trailer for camping, but on the Cannonball having external gasoline-powered generators allowed more than one team to have a large fan for ventilation when working during hot nights in motel parking lots, power an air compressor for air tools, power Big D Cycles combination mill/lathe, have additional lighting in pop-up tents (i.e. more total lighting than a battery alone would have been happy with), etc. Although I don't imagine it ever will be used on a week-long trip, installing wiring for an external connector along with internal 110V sockets is easy and inexpensive, and won't take up much space. For the price and effort, for me it will be worth having even if it ends up never being used.

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784266 09/14/19 4:24 pm
G
George Kaplan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
I also searched the web without finding anything close to what will follow.

I agree.

There is some stuff on Garage Journal that might be of use. Even though a lot of it is people with huge garages and limitless budgets, some folks have had to be very creative in small spaces to make the most of them to create a usable workshop. It might be worth having a look over there at the small spaces.

I did find one bike trailer on there but for race bikes so different use to you and I guess not too much that would be of use but here it is anyway: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203554&page=15

Also the main forum page is here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

John

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784270 09/14/19 5:29 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by George Kaplan
some folks have had to be very creative in small spaces to make the most of them to create a usable workshop.
I decided during the Cannonball that I "needed" an enclosed trailer, which is why I took notes of what I saw. Also, I decided all the features I wanted would fit nicely in a 6'x12' trailer. However, when I returned and searched the web fairly extensively looking for clever ideas for laying out the space for my needs I basically came up with nothing. In retrospect I suppose this isn't surprising because no individual 6'x12' trailer on the Cannonball had all the features I wanted, either. Anyway, as a result I designed my own trailer layout.

While it might seem that bigger would be better (e.g. a 20' trailer rather than 12'), bigger trailers are harder to tow, maneuver and park than smaller ones so there's a disadvantage to having one bigger than the minimum required. My approach to this trailer is similar to that I used in creating my "10 lb." toolbag (formerly "8 lb.") that I carry on all my excursions. In that case each year I added the tools and spares (e.g. magneto pickup brush, master links and one and three-link chain segments in four sizes, etc.) that I or people near me on the Irish Rally used. Or would have used, had they already been in my bag. Where one tool would do the job of two (e.g. a multi-bit screwdriver) it replaced what had been in the toolbag. Doing this consistently over a period of years resulted in a toolbag that has solved 98% of problems that otherwise would have ended a day's ride on the side of the road. I keep one such toolbag in Ireland and duplicated it with a second one here.

Anyway, the contents of my toolbag are based on more than a decade of observing repairs on ~150 pre-'60 (now pre-'50) bikes during 4 days each year, which is why it now works so well. In a similar way, the features of my "Cannonball trailer" are based on observing how ~25 support trailers were used over a period of 15 days. So, there's reason to hope it, too, will work well.

I'm deliberately not posting the notes of features I intend to incorporate[*] because having a list in front of them would make it harder for someone to think of something not on the list. As I wrote previously, all I need to do to make the trailer functional for hauling is add tracks to the floor for tying down two motorcycles. I'll then slowly add features as time permits. My hope is that way if someone suggests something useful that's not already on my list I'll be able to easily incorporate it since I won't already have modified the trailer in a way that makes it difficult or impossible.

[*]My list of features for the trailer, add-ons to equip it for another Cannonball-like event (e.g. gasoline generator), and tools, spares and supplies for a week-long trip with add-ons of the additional ones carried on the Cannonball fills 6-3/4 single-spaced pages so I have given a good bit of thought to this endeavor.

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784301 09/15/19 12:01 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The E-track will be delivered on Tuesday so it's time for the rubber to meet the, er, trailer deck. Unless I've overlooked something (and, if I have, please tell me), my options and approx. prices for covering 72 sq. ft. of floor are:

Paint:
-- normal paint $30
-- 2-part epoxy that "lasts 5x longer than 1-part epoxy paint" $72
-- 2-part epoxy that "lasts 20x longer than 1-part epoxy paint" $129
[Linked Image]

"Rubberized":
-- rubber decking mats in 3'x4' sheets $114
-- interlocking rubber in 18.5"x18.5" or 20.5"x20.5" pieces $173
[Linked Image]

Vinyl:
-- interlocking vinyl planks $158
[Linked Image]

Persian Carpet:
-- woven to size $5k-$15k
[Linked Image]

I've eliminated the Persian carpet only because of the long lead time in having it delivered (not to mention the pesky trade sanctions), although certainly in its favor is having a bespoke carpet woven to the trailer's precise dimensions would make it easy to install. Perhaps normal paint would be sufficient for the use the trailer will get but I wouldn't want to go to all this effort and find in a year that it is wearing or pealing so I've eliminated it as well. The vinyl planking would be a headache to install so, unless someone has good reasons otherwise, it's eliminated.

This leaves the choice between 2-part epoxy paint and "rubber" coverings. Paint has the advantage of being available in light colors (making it easier to spot items that are dropped), whereas the "rubber" choices at Home Depot and Lowes all were dark grey or black (although, maybe on-line I could find light rubber).

Assume for present purposes the prices are the same, so the relevant issues are ones of ease of installation and durability. Which should I use?

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784311 09/15/19 1:31 am
Tridentman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Faced the same problem with my trailer project.
Had similar choices —except that the Persian carpet option was replaced by me possible begging my sister to make a made to measure patchwork rug.
Eventually decided on bed liner paint as used in pick ups.
Used one made by Hercules based on good reviews.
Stocked at Home Depot.
Rationale: non slip and doesn’t show oil stains.
Also applied it to the inside of my ramp door—-again non slip being the determining factor.
Just my personal decision of course.
HTH

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Tridentman] #784320 09/15/19 2:59 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Used one made by Hercules based on good reviews.
That's an excellent suggestion. Thanks very much. The Home Depot site has it for $89/qt. but says it's only sufficient for a 6-ft. bed, with a 2nd quart required for an 8 ft. bed. Since a pickup bed is ~6 ft. wide, that means 1 qt. covers 36 sq.ft. Does that sound about right for what you used in your trailer? If so, add this to the list of possible paints at a cost of $178.

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784340 09/15/19 1:17 pm
Tridentman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
My trailer is 7’ X 10” but has a V nose and a ramp door.
The V nose is about 3’ in length.
The height of the trailer is 6’ 3”.
So you can calculate the total area covered.
I used two quarts of the Hercules product and had some left over—-certainly needed more than one quart.
You need two coats.
After the first coat it looked a bit disappointing— but then after the second coat it came out as I hoped it would.
The first coat gets soaked up by the floor but the second coat doesn’t take too much paint.
BTW—-I painted my floor before laying down the E track.
I have photos and will post them when I get home——Wednesday at the latest.
HTH

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784341 09/15/19 2:25 pm
N
NYBSAGUY Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N

What a great thread, MM, thank you. And since I may end up being one of the beneficiaries of this work, I want it done to the highest possible standard.

Couple of thoughts re all the above.

Some words, when placed next to one another, simply don't work. 'Gentle' and 'Rattlesnake' would be good examples. 'Camping' and 'Magnetoman' caused me to laugh so hard that I was momentarily worried for my health.

Last July saw me in Southampton, NY, for a wedding. The morning after, nursing a Hamptons Hangover, myself and the missus went for a bicycle ride along Meadow Lane, which borders the incomparable Shinnecock Bay. At the end of Meadow Lane we came upon a huge public campground, straddling the beach and the inlet. Shinnecock East County Park was host to some of the fanciest, truck-hauled campers that I have ever seen (this is the Hamptons, after all), with license plates from as far afield as Maine and Florida.

Most of these had solar powered panels providing bower for batteries, etc, which, in turn, powered their various onboard electrical needs, including several with A/C. While solar might have limited use in counties Kerry or Cork, in Arizona and parts south and west, it might be perfect. One more idea for your list.

1949 BSA ZB34 'Bitsa'
1959 BSA DBD34 Catalina
1973 Norton Commando 850 R
1974 Norton Commando 850 R (I know, one too many)
1975 Honda TL250 Trials, a new addition to the family
1998 Montesa Cota 315 HRC
2004 Ducati M1000ie
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784347 09/15/19 4:09 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
solar powered panels providing bower for batteries, etc, which, in turn, powered their various onboard electrical needs,
You have to admit, it would be more than a little ironic having solar power to assist with keeping oil-oozing, C02-generating, noise-polluting, rolling environmental assaults on the road. While in principle the roof area is sufficient for generating ~1.5 kW from solar panels, since most work will be done in the evening an array of lunar panels would be better, although those are slightly less efficient even during full moons.

While solar panels would be useful for charging a battery during the day for use at night, saving the gasoline that otherwise would be needed for that task, unfortunately the rounded shape of the trailer roof would make mounting them quite difficult. No, I'm afraid my conscience will have to deal with the reality that each outing with this rig will be a 100% fossil fuel catastrophe, unmitigated by anything the least bit ecologically friendly. But thanks for that suggestion, anyway.

So much for the roof. I'm hoping for more suggestions for the floor before the E-track arrives on Tuesday..

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784363 09/15/19 6:50 pm
H
HughdeMann Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
H
Just so you know.....this is a shot of Beno Rodi's work space for his personal bikes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Stay away from vinyl tile, oils and chemicals will trash it in no time. I'd look at truck bed liner pretty hard. Or, maybe, a replaceable wood floor.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
presently without a Brit Bike
A couple others
Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784379 09/15/19 9:27 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by HughdeMann
Stay away from vinyl tile, oils and chemicals will trash it in no time.
Thanks for the tip about vinyl. But, looking more closely, the garage floor tiles Lowes lists on their website are 'polyvinyl', with the description of some of them explicitly stating they're oil resistant (others just say they're for garage floors without specifying if they're the floors of garages housing British motorcycles)..

Further information for those offering advice on a floor covering, I pealed back the present faux-wood covering and found a layer of adhesive between it and the floor (that long ago had lost its adhesion to the covering). Anyway, whatever floor covering I put in will have to go directly on top of this hardened adhesive.

[Linked Image]

On a different topic, although the outside of the trailer is quite shiny, the surface of the paint has oxidized and comes off to the touch.

[Linked Image]

This is pretty annoying since just bumping the trailer with a shoulder or hip leaves a fat white mark on the cloth. So, today I used a stiff push broom with a bucket of Simple Green to scrub the sides, jet washed to rinse, wiped with a cloth, and jet washed again. Lots of white paint was in the rinse water.

[Linked Image]

After it dried still some residual paint came off, although much less than before. I then quickly went over it one more time with the gentlest grade of Scotchbrite while rinsing again. After it dried , rubbing my finger on more than a dozen random places as I walked around the trailer didn't leave a trace so job done.

The trailer is wired with a 4-way plug that mates to a 7-way adapter I bought to fit my truck. Although the lights are fully functional I bought a 7-way plug and eventually will wire it into place so I can then dispense with the adapter, and so the charging circuit can then supply up to 20 A to the LED lighting that eventually will be in the trailer.

At this point only the choice of flooring stands between installing the E-tracks and having the trailer fully (albeit, minimally) functional.

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784386 09/15/19 9:52 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
over at ADV Rider forum there is a whole section on trailers & vans. I think in the equipment section

Re: Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer: Design & Build [Re: Magnetoman] #784394 09/15/19 10:36 pm
Tridentman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
No trailer brakes?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership